Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1458

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

Having done quite a bit of international travel during the Bush 2.0 years, I can certainly state that I came across a lot of Europeans who certainly had a lot of negative things to say. I can only imagine what the chatter would be like now.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Can we kill 2 birds with 1 stone and arm teachers with guns that shoot vaccines?

“Hey billy! Quiet down or you won’t be getting polio any time soon!!”
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    So glad I don't have kids, and I fear for my young nephews.
    I was just thinking about this the other day, how someday I'd like to have kids, but jesus, not here. I can't imagine raising a child into this environment.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Having done quite a bit of international travel during the Bush 2.0 years, I can certainly state that I came across a lot of Europeans who certainly had a lot of negative things to say. I can only imagine what the chatter would be like now.
    This. Traveling Europe was not fun in 2004.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well it wasn't a nightmare-scape when we had kids. Now...fuck...

Also, you bastards are helping the idiocracy. You need to pump out a couple logical thinkers to balance the idiots.

I'd say the only country that Americans are moving to, seems to be New Zealand. The work visas make it easier to do so.

Outside of that, in my visit to Australia, people seem wary to visit USA right now. Euros/Australians/New Zealand all... Which is sad.
    *Strangely enough, one of the places that interests people the most is the Grand Canyon. Hollywood/Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/New York

All three countries had no interest in trying out Canada though, lol

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'd say the only country that Americans are moving to, seems to be New Zealand. The work visas make it easier to do so.
    Yep. Oddly enough, my knowledge of US Patent Law is in demand in New Zealand.

Outside of that, in my visit to Australia, people seem wary to visit USA right now. Euros/Australians/New Zealand all... Which is sad.
    *Strangely enough, one of the places that interests people the most is the Grand Canyon. Hollywood/Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/New York

All three countries had no interest in trying out Canada though, lol
    Yeah, Canada isn’t too wonderful either.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'd be totally down for a New Zealand move too, but Colorado's doing pretty well right now. If there were a type of job cut, I'd look into it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

When I was traveling a ton for work Denver and Seattle we're my two favorite cities.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I certainly don't think that America is the greatest country in the world, but I also think the entire notion of any place being the greatest country in the world is a fallacy -- so why is the (usually) liberal response to this stupid claim always to take a giant shit on the U.S.? Like it's not enough to just reject the premise? You have to list as many bad things about America as you can to prove to other people that you see its faults?

I dunno. It's just a weird reaction to me. Almost like a humblebrag. "Look at how enlightened I am compared to people who say we are the greatest; watch as I instead list all the reasons my country sucks." In a way, I get it. Those are all fair criticisms. But also...living here is good too? Why don't we talk about that? It's almost insulting to people who don't have it as good as most Americans do.

I gets this all the time with my colleagues. I'm a doctor, I know a lot of doctors, and all doctors do is piss and moan about their hardships. School loans, residency training as indentured servitude, disparities in physician pay, inhumanity in human medicine, the list goes on and on. And I agree with all of them. But nobody every just says, "Hey, it's not perfect, but it's a pretty damn good gig."

Because it is.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/02/23/99972/

.The Mueller indictment doesn’t charge any collusion between Trump and the Russians. In fact, it doesn’t even mention the word. Mueller also doesn’t draw any direct links between the troll farm in St. Petersburg and the Putin government in Moscow. And, most significantly, Mueller doesn’t allege that any of the nefarious trolling had the slightest “Butterfly effect” on the outcome of the 2016 elections. If there’s a conspiracy here, it’s looking more and more likely to be a conspiracy of dunces.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    When you're the greatest country in the world, you get all the attention.
    I wonder if people who ever make statements like this ever step back for a second, take a look at it again, and think "Wow, that actually makes me sound like a completely arrogant and closeminded douche".

(EDIT: Please notice the use of "sound like"; I know duke is not "a completely arrogant and closeminded douche" having interacted with him for so long. But divorced of context....)

I mean, the very notion of even trying to rank countries to begin with is flawed and kind of a waste of time, but when I run across someone so confidently claiming that their country is the undisputed top of a completely bullshit list, it just makes them come across as a little insecure and not someone ever worth having a political discussion with.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 02-23-2018 at 11:05 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I wonder if people who ever make statements like this ever step back for a second, take a look at it again, and think "Wow, that actually makes me sound like a completely arrogant and closeminded douche".

(EDIT: Please notice the use of "sound like"; I know duke is not "a completely arrogant and closeminded douche" having interacted with him for so long. But divorced of context....)

I mean, the very notion of even trying to rank countries to begin with is flawed and kind of a waste of time, but when I run across someone so confidently claiming that their country is the undisputed top of a completely bullshit list, it just makes them come across as a little insecure and not someone ever worth having a political discussion with.
    I suppose it wasn't obvious that I was trying to bait Meg.

To what end?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    To what end?
    The LULZ?

Producer
    USA is certainly better than Thailand (and I loved it when I was a high school exchange student there during 2008-2009) but in the past few rather terrifying years it has stopped being one of my go-to answers of countries you would like to escape to. Still would take a chance there than here if I got the opportunity.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Forget about which country is the best: It's awesome to be a white man everywhere on the planet, and the awesomeness of being white and male increases proportionally as the disparity widens between your racial and economic status and that of everyone around you. That's why white guys love the Philippines.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Hmm... I mean, I loved Australia, but I can easily see why people might dislike the area.

What's New Zealand's downfall?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Hmm... I mean, I loved Australia, but I can easily see why people might dislike the area.

Uppity hobbits.

Shitty pay (there is a reason I live and work in Korea), expensive imports (we are far away from everything), always compared to Old Zealand.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Right? It's like the person who always chooses Rock in Rock, Paper, Scissors because Rock crushes everything.
    I am found of paper, myself.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Shitty pay (there is a reason I live and work in Korea), expensive imports (we are far away from everything), always compared to Old Zealand.
    Import/exporting makes sense.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I found Germans don't take Trump too seriously.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I found Germans don't take Trump too seriously.
    That speaks volumes.

Page 47 of 59 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast