Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

Those two spikes also coincide with 50th and 100th anniversaries, roughly speaking. In many southern communities, the urge to memorialize their dead or gallant soldier sons, brothers and husbands sprang up rather quickly after the war's action petered out, but in other cases they didn't bubble back up to the surface until meaningful anniversaries perhaps reminded them that they never did "enough" at the time to memorialize. But still, it's an interesting graph, and I'm certain there was also a measure of obstinance in holding on to the Lost Cause and its characteristics.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Another notable thing that often happened during seminal anniversaries were banquets and events attended by any still-living soldiers--on both sides. They gathered together to remember and mourn their losses, share stories, engage in fellowship and so on.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Those two spikes also coincide with 50th and 100th anniversaries, roughly speaking. In many southern communities, the urge to memorialize their dead or gallant soldier sons, brothers and husbands sprang up rather quickly after the war's action petered out, but in other cases they didn't bubble back up to the surface until meaningful anniversaries perhaps reminded them that they never did "enough" at the time to memorialize. But still, it's an interesting graph, and I'm certain there was also a measure of obstinance in holding on to the Lost Cause and its characteristics.
    Ah, that makes sense, actually, but that in turn makes me wonder if there's any correlation in how the jubilee/centennial of the war coincides with seminal moments of racial strife.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

We have to attack those who disagree with social justice and liberty for all. We cannot acknowledge their opinions as anything other than evil and wrong-headed, because their opinions (the disagreements between the wrong and right sides) lead to stripping way social justice, liberty, and life from those they oppose.

We can't pretend that there are two sides here, both equal to be listened to and reasoned with.

If this situation where Nazis, white supremacists, and fascists are rising up, bolstered by the President of the United States, the executive branch, and half of congress, the only answer is fighting back against them in every single way possible.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    We have to attack those who disagree with social justice and liberty for all. We cannot acknowledge their opinions as anything other than evil and wrong-headed, because their opinions (the disagreements between the wrong and right sides) lead to stripping way social justice, liberty, and life from those they oppose.

We can't pretend that there are two sides here, both equal to be listened to and reasoned with.

If this situation where Nazis, white supremacists, and fascists are rising up, bolstered by the President of the United States, the executive branch, and half of congress, the only answer is fighting back against them in every single way possible.
    And that's precisely the problem, is that we're ignoring the WHY as to how this happened. HOW did we get to this place? Because when you dig deep, you'll find that neither side is innocent, and that going down the path you suggest is only going to make things worse, 'cause that's precisely the same path that got us here in the first place.

(And yes, there ARE two sides at play here, and they are both DETRIMENTALLY hate-fueled.)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    What are the two sides?

One side are Nazis, white supremacists, fascists and bigots. The other side is not. Are both sides innocent? No. But one side is more wrong, while the other is more right.

We defeated Nazis and the confederacy once, we'll do it again.

After we defeat them, then we can talk about the hows and whys of making sure it doesn't happen again.

This false equivalency BS has to stop. Both sides are not the same, both are not to blame, when you are dealing with Nazis, white supremacists, fascists and bigots.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    What are the two sides?
    Nazis, white supremacists, fascists and bigots versus not those things.

I know what side I'm on.

This is so good.

Three days after Donald Trump named his campaign foreign policy team in March 2016, the youngest of the new advisers sent an email to seven campaign officials with the subject line: “Meeting with Russian Leadership - Including Putin.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.55d66d79e21f

The Trump campaign's email subject lines are amazing.

"Hey everyone...is this treason or no?"

[
    ]

--Homer

Chisel 8/15/2017 into stone so our future irradiated waterworld children remember the date when the President of the United States went on live television and said Nazis aren't that bad.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Trump just became the Confederate President, and in the process has declared war on the American people.

The Trump campaign's email subject lines are amazing.
    I LOVE IT!

Yeah, this is, um, pretty thoroughly fucked.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 08-15-2017 at 09:59 PM.

I know I speak in hyperbole often, but I don't think I am now. Today marks the first day of Civil War 2, but this time the executive branch is on the racist side. There will be blood in the streets this coming weekend.

What are the two sides?
    The extremist right, and the extremist left, both of which are guilty of spreading messages of hate at one another, and both of which have responded back and forth to those messages in kind.

Me? Yeah, I'm an outsider looking in, and I'm taking no sides, cause quite frankly, both sides terrify the shit out of me, and will probably continue to do so until we can all collectively calm the fuck down and actually converse with one another, and try to actually figure shit out.

It's OK, encouraged, to hate Nazis, fascists and bigots. If that makes me an extreme leftist, then so be it (even though I wanted to vote for Kasich in 2016, so...).

There were people who didn't take a side at the beginning of WWII, and history does not look kindly upon their non-decision.

I haven't seen enough of the leftists - I would assume the reference is toward the violent elements of Antifa and BLM?

I wish I have an intellectual reason why I'm not neutral on white supremacy, but at the end of the day I don't think my complexion and I had a say in the matter.
    Movie Theater Diary

At least Trump doesn't have a private email server.

While all of this video is disturbing, the final 2-3 minutes made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up:

https://news.vice.com/story/vice-new...ace-and-terror

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Having second thoughts about going to an outdoor concert on Thursday night in fear of Nazis plowing into it.

This is my thought process in 2017.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I know I speak in hyperbole often, but I don't think I am now. Today marks the first day of Civil War 2, but this time the executive branch is on the racist side. There will be blood in the streets this coming weekend.
    Often??
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

No, not the same. One side is racist, bigoted, Nazi. The other opposes racism and bigotry. Morally different universes.

- Mitt Romney.

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast