Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1458

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I do. Your list is missing Nixon. Btw, Trump is still missing starting a disasterous foreign war that kills tons of people from his list of mistakes.
    Don't worry, that's coming.

Going to time it so it happens right before the mid-terms in 2018.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)

Going to time it so it happens right before the mid-terms in 2018.
    What if it never happens, because every leader on the planet is scared that he actually will drop nukes on them? Bad President?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Threats over diplomacy makes bad presidents, no? Is that not commonly accepted?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Threats over diplomacy makes bad presidents, no? Is that not commonly accepted?
    What threats has he made, other than to N. Korea? We posture our military all the time. It's the same when Russian Migs buzz our F18s.

If he told France he will nuke them unless they lifted a tariff, yes I would have a problem with that.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I was only talking about your question about the fear of him dropping nukes. I thought you were asking if it makes one a Bad President if every world leader is scared of you, and my answer is absolutely.

But yeah, in general I am not a fan of military posturing. At all.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I was only talking about your question about the fear of him dropping nukes. I thought you were asking if it makes one a Bad President if every world leader is scared of you, and my answer is absolutely.

But yeah, in general I am not a fan of military posturing. At all.
    I wouldn't like that either. But I'm looking in hindsight.

We don't want to be in a war. If we get out of this Presidency, not having been in a war, would Trump's posturing be a trait that would classify him as a bad President?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, that's the big question mark. Which is obscene considering the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are on-going.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    We don't want to be in a war. If we get out of this Presidency, not having been in a war, would Trump's posturing be a trait that would classify him as a bad President?
    It's impossible to confirm a negative so I would say it's moot. I'm sure his supporters would give him the credit for that while Democrats will claim the absence was not for lack of trying.
    Movie Theater Diary

What if it never happens, because every leader on the planet is scared that he actually will drop nukes on them? Bad President?
    Yes. Soft power is always better than threats. The long term effect of completely gutting the state department, insulting our allies, and isolating our selves will take generations to recover from.

It's impossible to confirm a negative so I would say it's moot. I'm sure his supporters would give him the credit for that while Democrats will claim the absence was not for lack of trying.
    But it's okay to condemn him now for a war we're not in yet?

Duke, are you aware of how close the world came to be absolutely destroyed during the Cold War? Not sure if you're old enough to remember what a horrific time that was. We don't want to see a bunch of crazy countries creating more nukes and making cold or hot threats. We want to deescalate the situation.

This is a chilling story, and represents only one of the many times humanity was almost wiped off the face of the planet during the cold war.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-of-life-prize

Yes. We can condemn for his words now, and for his bravado posturing and petulant bullying, and hope he doesn't follow through with actions.

Duke, are you aware of how close the world came to be absolutely destroyed during the Cold War? Not sure if you're old enough to remember what a horrific time that was. We don't want to see a bunch of crazy countries creating more nukes and making cold or hot threats. We want to deescalate the situation.

This is a chilling story, and represents only one of the many times humanity was almost wiped off the face of the planet during the cold war.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-of-life-prize
    I'm against stockpiling nukes as well. It's why I posted that Generals reaction gif. I thought we were just talking about posturing and parades.

Posturing was a huge part of the cold war mentality.

Posturing was a huge part of the cold war mentality.
    As I said, that kind of stuff happens all the time. Move our aircraft carriers here. Increase presence here.

The nuclear warhead aims race was the main driver of the Cold War along with the Space Race and the fear that we could be nuked from orbit.

OK. I guess because it happens all the time, I should just be cool with it.

Sounds good.

Sweet! Nothing to worry about then.

That's not what I meant and you know it. It was happening during the Obama campaign. Where were these complaints then?

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...amid-tensions/

https://www.cnn.com/2015/10/29/polit...ter/index.html

I actually don't know what you mean. I'm having a very, very hard time parsing what you are trying to argue.

And yes, I had HUGE, MASSIVE problems with a ton of the stuff Obama did.

I voted for him first term, but not second, and was largely disappointed with how he handled many things.

In general, I have a ton of problems with how the US uses its military.

Oh boy. In practical terms, the list of things he's actually already done that I'm condemning him for is long enough that I'm not worrying about what he might do, for the sake of my own mental health.

But longer answer is: This is where I think a President's role as a figurehead is always underrated. One of the important jobs, I believe, is to inspire respect and (for better or worse) maintain an illusion of benevolence, even when it's contrary to the reality (Obama excelled in this, I think, which is why the international community's view of the US improved significantly during his terms despite the continuing wars and drone strikes). I don't know what's "okay," really, but I know why the accusations exist. The reason why Trump scares people is that he has demonstrated a complete lack of impulse control. Maybe being utterly convinced that he will start a war is premature, but it's a completely justified worry that's based on the personality of who we're talking about. Everybody who knows him well before and after his political career has said that he's combative and prone to lashing out in full force when he's even slightly offended. This fear is currently tempered by a trust that the process in place will prevent him from doing whatever he tweets he'll do, but it's a trust that, I think justifiably, erodes with every administration personnel fuck-up that's been happening on a weekly basis. If you're President and you're continually scaring the shit out of the majority of your citizens, you're not really being a good President. When you're a figurehead, it shouldn't be acceptable to write off the concerns of citizens and the media as simply reactionary. It's part of your job to manage that reaction.
    Movie Theater Diary

I actually don't know what you mean. I'm having a very, very hard time parsing what you are trying to argue.

And yes, I had HUGE, MASSIVE problems with a ton of the stuff Obama did.

I voted for him first term, but not second, and was largely disappointed with how he handled many things.

In general, I have a ton of problems with how the US uses its military.

I just don't remember the outcry from you then, so why are we doing it now?

I guess in general I've become numb to this thread, every day coming in and seeing another nitpick on this Presidency. I'd rather us focus our energy on; Grab Here by the Pussy. The wall. His Investigation. His Scandal. I hate Trump. Didn't vote for him. But I'm rooting for the guy because it's my country too. In the end I don't give a shit about political side. I care about winning.

I don't want any part of winning when it involves people like Trump.

I've hated him my entire life, or since I've known who he is. He represents everything I find detestable in the human race. He brags about sexually assaulting minors. He pays hush money to keep affairs secret. He raped his ex-wife. He doesn't pay his debts. He is only concerned with wealth. He's racist. He's misogynistic. He brags about his ignorance. He's anti-science. He's a terrible speaker. He's a loudmouth. A braggart. A nincompoop.

That millions of people in my country voted for him makes me hate my country. Under this administration, I don't want America to succeed because I hate what it now stands for. I am a stranger in my own country. I hate it here, but I don't have the financial means to leave right now.

Trumpism has given validation to Nazis, to racists, to nationalists, to terrible people.

I couldn't care less about the economy. There is so much more to life than the stock market, jobs and money.

There is no winning in Trump's America. There is only losing.

I guess the best question to ask you is:

How do you define winning?

A follow up question:

What line would he have to cross to where you stop rooting for him with the realization that the winning (how you describe it) doesn't justify the means?

I'm not answering the winning question because it's just going to get people mad here.

I will say this, by any chance was your paycheck higher last week?

Maybe if he punched a baby I would start picketing.

I did have a higher pay check last period, but I also worked ~15 hours of overtime. So not sure how much of that is from the GOP tax policy.

However, I would give every extra penny I get from any policy that Trump and the current GOP enacts to see this entire administration taken down.

I would trade every thing and every dollar I own to see this happen. This is how much I loath Trump.

Also, on the scale of things that I consider "winning," financial gain is at the bottom.

The GOP tax policy is going to be disastrous for our nation. I think we should be paying more taxes for streets, libraries, schools, health care and social safety nets.

Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast