Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

I have friends down there counterprotesting and our texts aren't getting through. I'm watching footage of the car plowing through the antifa crowd hoping I can't spot them. This shit is fucked.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That tiki torch pic is real?? I assumed that was from some spoof comedy thing.

Finally heard back from one of my friends. They almost got hit by the car but they were on the sidewalk at the time. Christ what a day.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Glad they are okay tho. Heard one person died so far, with others injured. Saw some pics. Goddamn.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Finally heard back from one of my friends. They almost got hit by the car but they were on the sidewalk at the time. Christ what a day.
    Thank god.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I fucking hate white supremacy so much.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    No it's not. It's just a bunch of poor people shit.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    No it's not. It's just a bunch of poor people shit...
    ...that have the power of the Presidency behind them.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

The "Yes You're Racist" twitter handle has absolutely been on fire with what's going on in Charlotteville. They've dug into the pictures and have been exposing people's social media for the world to see and who they are all connected to. Pretty neat.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

And now Seattle. Daniel, please let us know you're ok.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

This is real.

Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    And now Seattle. Daniel, please let us know you're ok.

Im ok. Didn't even know something was happening.

Next weekend in Seattle is going to be really, really ugly. WTO 2.0, I predict.

This takes serious courage that I don't envy but wonder what would happen if more people would be willing to do it.

One father saw his son on TV attending the Charlottesville rally and the entire family has now publicly disowned him and saying he is not welcome home or at family gatherings until he renounces Nazism. It sounds like they've known about his beliefs this whole time, but have always just written him off as that crazy right-wing member of the family. Charlottesville was the last straw for the family.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/you...i-disowns-him/
    Movie Theater Diary

I love the irony in these people being angry that they were exposed on social media, and are losing their jobs / friends / reputations.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I love the irony in these people being angry that they were exposed on social media, and are losing their jobs / friends / reputations.
    "White pride!" / "Please don't tell people what I did."

"I'm generalizing minorities!" / "I'm not a racist, please don't stereotype."

(wears camouflage, holds intimidating guns, has more firepower than local enforcement) / "Antifa are the real fascists."

It's been very difficult for me to formulate words about current Nazi/KKK stuff on social media. I type stuff then delete it because WHY DOES THIS SHIT NEED SAID? "Nazi bad." Yeah, no shit, water wet dumb dumb. True it needs said, but anyone that doesn't already know that or is willing to argue isn't going to see my minor social media output, so it seems masturbatory claiming "hey guys, I'm not Nazi." Well duh. If you're my friend you know that.

I feel it's always okay to punch Nazis. There's my stance.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    "White pride!" / "Please don't tell people what I did."

"I'm generalizing minorities!" / "I'm not a racist, please don't stereotype."

(wears camouflage, holds intimidating guns, has more firepower than local enforcement) / "Antifa are the real fascists."
    I find this amazing:

Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I find this amazing:

It really is perfect cognitive dissonance.

I keep thinking of that Key and Peele moment of self-awareness: "Oh, I'm not persecuted, I'm just an asshole."

It's interesting hearing this new pejorative term being thrown about by the right wing media: Antifa. When I was a kid, they went by a different name: The Allies.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

The problem with Antifa is the other people/groups that try to get included with them. In Seattle, Antifa is usually just a bunch of gutter punks / trust-fund anarchists who want an excuse to break windows and fuck shit up down town. They use Antifa protests as a way to be assholes.

This takes serious courage that I don't envy but wonder what would happen if more people would be willing to do it.

One father saw his son on TV attending the Charlottesville rally and the entire family has now publicly disowned him and saying he is not welcome home or at family gatherings until he renounces Nazism. It sounds like they've known about his beliefs this whole time, but have always just written him off as that crazy right-wing member of the family. Charlottesville was the last straw for the family.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/08/you...i-disowns-him/
    So after following a line thru a few twats on Twitter, I found that Richard Spencer has a "Patreon" page, except it's called Hatreon.

Y'all...it's called Hatreon ([]).

EDIT: He also misspelled "Hatreon" in the YouTube video on his front fucking page. Behold the mater race indeed. Apparently they are not grammar nazis.
    Last edited by Wryan; 08-15-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

This is really fascinating. Wish I knew about this before. Southern Poverty Law Center has been cataloging confederate statues and monuments in the US, including when they were erected/dedicated, and this is the result:

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/defa...conography.jpg

The two big spikes of these statues' emergence had not been the decades after the civil war ended, but the years around the founding of NAACP and Jim Crow, and half a century later during the civil rights era. Which really makes it seem like they're more "fuck you" statues than remembrance statues.
    Movie Theater Diary

Just posted this to facebook, figured I'd share here.

Don't usually like to get into politics on here, but recent events and the ensuing responses has been particularly bothersome to me, more so than usual. So I'm just going to leave this here, for everyone insisting that advocating for peace is a controversial stance (which I find incredibly sad, and yet is precisely why I've hesitated to say anything myself both now and in the past), and who are adamant that the only way to fight violence and hate is with even more violence and hate: http://www.independent.co.uk/…/kkk-k...bers-le…

You see, the solution isn't fighting. And it's not even arguing or debating. It's a conversation. It's asking, WHY is this happening, and actually talking it out, getting to the roots of it with our fellow people, and finding a solution together, before things can get worse than they already have and spiral completely out of control.

And a lot of that isn't just in person, but in how we carry ourselves online as well. Because I see hate getting flung back and forth all the time, and I just sit back and watch it all transpire, shaking my head the whole time, yet keeping silent on it, so as not to stir the pot anymore than it already has been. But perhaps we should be more careful with our language, and not so quick to demonize entire people over a disagreement. After all, the way we act online, it's as if we're all in our own little bubbles, and we're frothing at the mouth in a fit of road rage as we travel in our little e-vehicles down this information super-highway, protected behind the safety of our computer screens. Many of us wouldn't speak or act in the same hateful manner in person, but some have allowed for these negative sentiments lobbied back and forth at us to latch on and stick with us even after we've logged off, to where now all of that hatred is becoming more and more realized.

You see, it's one thing to have a disagreement. It's another entirely to attack someone on a personal level over those disagreements. This is something that I've personally discussed on a number of occasions in the past while talking about movies. And you'll notice, anytime I happen to talk trash about a popular movie, my attacks are against the movie itself, but not against those who may have liked it, because there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a difference of opinion. But here, we're not talking about movies, we're talking about actual human lives. And yet, I think the same idea should still apply all the same. It's fine to disagree on a certain stance, but it's not okay to attack one another over those disagreements. And yet, that's precisely what we've been doing to one another for years now, and it's what I see many presenting as a solution to our current issues, which is most troublesome.

And when I say "we", I'm not just talking about the right, and I'm not just talking about the left. I'm talking about EVERYONE, as PEOPLE. Because I see a lot of talk about how "if you're not outraged, you're not paying attention," but really, I've been watching this stuff brew for YEARS now, to where I can honestly say, if you're at all SURPRISED by what's happening right now, then YOU'RE the one who hasn't been paying attention. And we're ALL just as responsible as one another for allowing ourselves to get to this point. So the question is then, do we continue down this path of hatred, or do we take pause at this moment and reflect on how we even got in this situation in the first place, and what can we realistically do to get out of it and actually find some semblance of unity again? Because at this point, this path we're traveling, all we're doing is tearing ourselves even further and further apart, to where it honestly feels like it's going to take a Watchmen-like scenario to actually bring anyone back together again.

Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast