Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1458

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

This is a really good opinion piece on GOP tax policy, and why it is bad for our country. We have real life, concrete, contemporary examples of GOP tax policy in action:

Like many states controlled by Republicans, Oklahoma has for some time been putting the GOP theory into practice: low taxes, little regulation and weak social spending. On the tax front, it has been particularly aggressive, since state law mandates that no tax increase can pass without a three-quarters majority in the state legislature. This has created a one-way ratchet, in which any tax cut is effectively permanent and taxes can only go down.

And has it produced the boundless prosperity Republicans predict? Well, no. In fact, the state is now in a full-blown fiscal crisis. Here’s a summary of the situation from NPR:
    Riding high on the oil boom of the late 2000s, the state followed the Kansas model and slashed taxes. But the promised prosperity never came. In many cases, it was just the opposite.
    Around 20 percent of Oklahoma’s schools now hold classes just four days a week. Last year, highway patrol officers were given a mileage limit because the state couldn’t afford to put gas in their tanks. Medicaid provider rates have been cut to the point that rural nursing homes and hospitals are closing, and the prisons are so full that the director of corrections says they’re on the brink of a crisis.
    Just to reiterate: The state has so little money that 1 in 5 schools is open only four days a week. Gov. Mary Fallin and Republicans in the state legislature are debating a plan to increase taxes to try to address some of these problems, including giving a raise to teachers. Which is sorely needed, because Oklahoma pays its teachers less than any other state in the country.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.7396a063c4a1

EDIT

Never mind. Not a nice thing to say. Sorry.
    Last edited by D_Davis; 02-08-2018 at 06:45 PM.

I find it very sad that there are so many people to whom money is everything.

Trump loves those people, and they love him in return.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I know that it’s just as wrong to generalize about the wealthy as it is for anyone else to be generalized or compartmentalized.

But there seems to be a celebration in America right now of not only being wealthy but of hating the poor.

Those who don’t have are really pretty much told “well maybe you should try not being poor”.

The complete lack of empathy (or even an attempt at seeing circumstances outside of being profoundly privileged) is disgusting.

It's part of the Prosperity Gospel ideology, a right-wing religious view that has taken over the GOP and large parts of our country.

Basically, the evangelicals believe that if you are a good, righteous person God will reward you with wealth. Ergo, if you are poor, you must be a bad, unrighteous person, someone to be punished and disparaged, not helped.

The evangelicals in America actually believe the exact opposite of what Jesus taught.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I find it very sad Canadians think they know what's best for Americans. Little do they know their whole country would be speaking Russian if it wasn't for the U.S.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I can’t tell if you’re being satirical.

It's part of the Prosperity Gospel ideology, a right-wing religious view that has taken over the GOP and large parts of our country.

Basically, the evangelicals believe that if you are a good, righteous person God will reward you with wealth. Ergo, if you are poor, you must be a bad, unrighteous person, someone to be punished and disparaged, not helped.

The evangelicals in America actually believe the exact opposite of what Jesus taught.

Yeah it’s a crazy ideology.

When people are rich by birth and feel they are entitled to and have earned what they have, then go out of their way to keep others from prospering.

It’s such a twisted state right now.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I can’t tell if you’re being satirical.
    We're doing shtick right?

You backhand me, I backhand you and it becomes a thing.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    We're doing shtick right?

You backhand me, I backhand you and it becomes a thing.
    I wasn’t backhanding you. Nothing I had said was directed at you.

You didn't quote me, but it was most assuredly directed to me.

It wasn’t but ok!

Was responding to the general thoughts in D’s posts about greed.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Right now I interpret the tax cut as a bribe to convince the American public to fuck off while Congress and its patrons do everything possible to fleece us. Like they're handing me a crisp five dollar bill while they try to sneak my wallet out of my back pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what they are doing.

The tax cuts for individuals go away in ten years. Those for corporations do not.

I find it very sad Canadians think they know what's best for Americans. Little do they know their whole country would be speaking Russian if it wasn't for the U.S.
    Have ya been to Toronto? It seems like half us are speaking Russian already. (And they're all huge Trump supporters because of his stance on Israel.)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Looks like John Kelly is about to resign over the Rob Porter domestic abuse scandal.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Yeah, that's the big question mark. Which is obscene considering the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are on-going.
    That is why I keep saying new. Afghanistan is the forgotten war.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

How many family members sharing a pic of Trump being hugged by Jesus with description of poor Trump being more attacked unfairly more than any president in history does it take before I either block entire family or just flat out check myself into an institution?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    How many family members sharing a pic of Trump being hugged by Jesus with description of poor Trump being more attacked unfairly more than any president in history does it take before I either block entire family or just flat out check myself into an institution?
    Why don't you just block their posts from appearing in your feed? That's what I did with my religious uncle who lives in New Zealand, and now I'll see are posts decrying how racist Canada is because a white jury found white guy not guilty for shooting an indigenous kid in the head, even though very few facts about the case are known to the public.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I have family from Mississippi, and they aren't even public Trump fans.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

13 Russian nationals and 3 Russian entities were just indited for interfering with the US election in 2016.

https://t.co/9XLt8GiLnQ

But it's probably nothing.

"From in or around 2014 to the present, Defendants knowingly and intentionally conspired with each other (and with persons known and unknown to the Grand Jury) to defraud the United States by impairing, obstructing, and defeating the lawful functions of the government through fraud and deceit for the purpose of interfering with the U.S. political and electoral processes, including the presidential election of 2016."

13 Russian nationals and 3 Russian entities were just indited for interfering with the US election in 2016.

https://t.co/9XLt8GiLnQ

But it's probably nothing.
    Heh, I saw.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I will say this, by any chance was your paycheck higher last week?
    Working normal hours, my paycheck was about $10 more. So the tax cut is yielding me about $20 a month, or about $240 a year. Not enough to make a difference, and not nearly enough for me to overlook everything else.

Page 44 of 59 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast