Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

When we last left off in our wearying story, Wormtongue-- I mean Michael Flynn-- was caught in the middle of secreting information to Orthanc-- Russia.

I do appreciate ya'll posting updates on this bumbling disaster of an administration. Its exhausting trying to keep up with the nonstop craziness.

We should start an impeach-pool. I'll take...August.

- - - - -
    lol, "Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers" might just be the best line you've written

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm NOT burying my head in the sand, but thats kind of how I feel about this entire administration!

Goddamn Minions.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

At first, I was rooting for the current office holder to have the shortest term of any president. William Henry Harrison only had 30 days, so it could still happen, but it would have to happen this week. Probably not.

However, the shortest term for a President that didn't leave office due to death is Gerald Ford, serving out the remainder of Nixon's term. He was in office over 2 years. So I think we're going to see a record broken after all.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    I think there's a greater likelihood that he will go the 4 years, and it will be 4 years of the non-stop circus act that we're enjoying now.

In order for him to be removed, he'd have to do something so reprehensible that even GOP hardliners would turn on him (eg: That old saw about being caught with a dead woman or a live man).

The GOP would have to believe that forfeiting 2018 and 2020 would be better for them in the long run. I can't imagine an event that would put them in such a position, especially since the DNC continues to be the DNC.

I have stopped expecting an impeachment. It seems clear now more than ever that the GOP will defend him no matter what.

I do, however, still think he will drop dead during his first term.
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't think the GOP will ever turn on him. I also think that long term it will be a good thing; I think it will boot them from power for a long time.

There's so many insane things going on I just imagine all the dems heads spinning trying to figure out which lunacy to sue/prosecute first. They're coming so fast its difficult to judge which will be the catalyst of the downfall.

What concerns me deeply is that he may try the old tactic that so many dictators, despots and fascists before him have tried when their numbers were plummeting and they wanted to consolidate their power: Start a war. Similar tactics worked for his buddy Putin.
    Last edited by bac0n; 02-15-2017 at 01:15 AM.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

If that Russian dossier is accurate, he really is Lord of the Leaks.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    What concerns me deeply is that he may try the old tactic that so many dictators, despots and fascists before him have tried when their numbers were plummeting and they wanted to consolidate their power: Start a war. Similar tactics worked for his buddy Putin.
    This describes at least 3-4 American presidents over the last century.

Trump isn't a despot or a fascist (and wow, do I wish people would stop using that word). I think you could describe him as "authoritarian" or, more accurately, as a "dick." But he isn't fascist by a long mile.

Also, when Barry walked out the door, the United States was bombing 7 countries. Or did you mean a new war?

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    You've really been on a good roll lately

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    This describes at least 3-4 American presidents over the last century.

Trump isn't a despot or a fascist (and wow, do I wish people would stop using that word). I think you could describe him as "authoritarian" or, more accurately, as a "dick." But he isn't fascist by a long mile.

Also, when Barry walked out the door, the United States was bombing 7 countries. Or did you mean a new war?
    I actually typed another war. It's just that nother was in a very, very small font. Jesus, man, get your eyes checked...
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    The title has layers. It's like The Last Jedi.

This thing just keeps rolling along. http://nyti.ms/2kvdm5O
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I actually typed another war. It's just that nother was in a very, very small font. Jesus, man, get your eyes checked...
    I was worried about potential wars too ... until that piece in the Times that talked about how WH staffers couldn't figure out how to work the light switches in the West Wing conference rooms.

I swear, it's like a bunch of Millhouses and Ralph Wiggums are running the government. I'm pretty sure half these people couldn't find their way out of the building without help, so I'm not so worried any more.

I feel like Logan in the second half of his run.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I feel like Logan in the second half of his run.
    Took me a beat to realize you meant Logan, not Logan

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! I've had about 8 hours of sleep in 3 days, I'm sorry.

Not even Hollywood's best could invent this shit.

Last edited by Skitch; 02-15-2017 at 06:12 PM.

I don't remember him being worried about illegal leakers when the contents of the leaks damaged his opponent.

I'm skeptical of that NYT Russia report, doesn't seem to reveal any new information and they didn't confirm anything on the record. They didn't even get the names of the advisers. Were they informal advisers like Roger Ailes or paid members of his campaign team?

However, Manafort's non-denial denial would seem to imply some level of credibility.

So far I still think Nixon and Dubya are worse. If we are lucky we get Harding style incompetence and corruption. Also I'm predicting that Trump hands the presidency over to Pence in 2 years.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I don't think Trump will hand over anything, cuz that would be a tacit admission of defeat. And we all know how good Trump has been at that sort of thing.

I'm thinking at some point the GOP will get to the point that they will decide that Trump has damaged their brand to the point that he needs to be removed from office or else they will lose the House and Senate, and with mid term elections coming up next year, I would think that this would happen sooner, rather than later.

I'm nostalgic for the days when my knowledge of Alex Jones was just "Richard Linklater's weirdo friend."
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast