Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1458

Thread: The Match Cut 2017 Political Thread (or: The Lord of the Leaks: The Trump Towers)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Well, I for one am happy with the positive developments in North Korea, both with the peace agreements between North and South, as well with the hostages coming back home.

But I remain suspicious of North Korea's motives, and am hoping this isn't all part of some plot to get the world to lower their collective guard. Kim Jong Un does not strike me as the altruistic type.
    All of this. Being cautiously optimistic when NK is ruled by a dictator and Trump is president sounds smart to me. Also Bolton, a neocon, has the president's ear.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    But when the overwhelming evidence suggests that he is an amoral narcissistic boob of seemingly endless proportions, why is it 'reasonable' to credit him with anything positive? Why would I have any reason to believe he is acting out of a desire to help others? He has zero record of that kind of behavior.
    I also agree with this. Even the leaders of both Korean nations said that Trump had very little to do with easing of tensions.

BTW, the US left the Iran Deal. Oh joy.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    How about just news and opinion, rather than whiny potshots at what some other group of people are going to think about said news before they have even responded? That would be a start.

No: Had some great pizza last night. Of course, i’m probably killing myself and about to explode into obesity according to keto maniacs.

Yes: Had some great pizza last night.

No: Watched Infinity War last night, didn’t really like it. No doubt it’s because I’m a try hard contrarian looking to piss all over others’ fun.

Yes: Watched Infinity War last night, didn’t really like it.

There, that’s how you do it.
    Where were you 3 months ago Trans? Where were you 3 months ago?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That’s....not how analogies work.

A: Man, work at the moment is crazy. It’s like trying to juggle 3 bowling balls with one hand tied behind my back.

Duke: That doesn’t make sense. You don’t throw and catch heavy objects for your job. You are a programmer.
    I think you're confusing analogy with hyperbole because your example wouldn't be applicable to anything.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I think Duke has a fair point in that anything positive from the Trump team comes across as a "distraction", false, or somehow bad in another way.
    What Duke is doing is a depressingly common tactic in political discussion these days (from all sides of the political spectrum): make a general blanket statement about *insert enemy group here* is going to react to a certain bit of news before anyone has even had a chance to. By doing so, any particular individual who exhibits this reaction, no matter what the grounds or what their history of political opinion has been, can then be classified as *insert enemy group here* and thus dismissed.

The news Duke posted I know nothing about, but let's imagine that I read up on it and find something I don't like about it. Now that Duke has framed the discussion his way, he gets to dismiss me as a Trump hater regardless of any opinions I have expressed in the past, thus shutting down the conversation and/or deepening his persecution complex.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Where were you 3 months ago Trans? Where were you 3 months ago?
    I don't know, not in this thread discussing politics because political discourse is generally bullshit?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

What Duke is doing is a depressingly common tactic in political discussion these days (from all sides of the political spectrum): make a general blanket statement about *insert enemy group here* is going to react to a certain bit of news before anyone has even had a chance to. By doing so, any particular individual who exhibits this reaction, no matter what the grounds or what their history of political opinion has been, can then be classified as *insert enemy group here* and thus dismissed.

The news Duke posted I know nothing about, but let's imagine that I read up on it and find something I don't like about it. Now that Duke has framed the discussion his way, he gets to dismiss me as a Trump hater regardless of any opinions I have expressed in the past, thus shutting down the conversation and/or deepening his persecution complex.
    My comment was on topic and harmless. You're the one playing in the mud.

I think you're confusing analogy with hyperbole because your example wouldn't be applicable to anything.
    three bowling balls = three workload heavy tasks
    juggling = managing these tasks at the same time
    one hand tied behind my back = not given the resources to manage them effectively.

I mean, come on, I know you know what an analogy is.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

You know what you were doing. Let's not be disingenuous now.

EDIT: "But this is probably a ruse too right?"

This is not "harmless" political discussion. It is corrosive and sad.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 05-09-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

You know what you were doing. Let's not be disingenuous now.
    Seriously, where were you three months ago when DD turned this thread into his own personal 4chan sub? And I get shit from you for posting a question of all things. Passive aggressive maybe, but it was an open question to this thread. And it was POSITIVE news. I can't even... lol. I didn't even vote for Trump!

Seriously, where were you three months ago when DD turned this thread into his own personal 4chan sub?
    Um, not in this thread? I very rarely come in here because I hate discussing politics online. It's a clusterfuck. I have posted 16 times in this thread out of 1210 posts... and 7 of those were today, right now.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Probably for the best.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    But when the overwhelming evidence suggests that he is an amoral narcissistic boob of seemingly endless proportions, why is it 'reasonable' to credit him with anything positive?
    R. Kelly is allegedly a serial rapist and child molestor. But I still give him credit for "Ignition (Remix)" being amazing.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I have never been to 4chan. So I don't know what that looks like.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Ehh, it was not-so-passive aggressive.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Ehh, it was not-so-passive aggressive.
    Well I'm sorry to all.

Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, is expected to plead guilty to criminal charges today. I wonder if there is any deal being made.... things could get very interesting in the next few weeks.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, is expected to plead guilty to criminal charges today. I wonder if there is any deal being made.... things could get very interesting in the next few weeks.
    Yeah, between this and Manafort being found guilty on 8 of 18 charges, this is a pretty big day.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I want to be an optimist about this, but the reality is that the Republicans are at Lord Dampnut's back and will do everything to keep themselves in power. I expect it to build up to nothing.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I want to be an optimist about this, but the reality is that the Republicans are at Lord Dampnut's back and will do everything to keep themselves in power. I expect it to build up to nothing.
    Much like the Buddha, I'm trying to focus on the present moment.

I feel like I've heard people say "This is the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency" a million times before and it never is. Come to think of it, remember in the primaries when all the pundits were predicting he would never get the nomination? Yeah, he's gonna get reelected in a landslide.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Ohm.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I feel like I've heard people say "This is the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency" a million times before and it never is. Come to think of it, remember in the primaries when all the pundits were predicting he would never get the nomination? Yeah, he's gonna get reelected in a landslide.
    That might be one of the few things I agree with you on.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I think he flips.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

According to the NY Post - "Lanny Davis, Cohen's attorney, says Cohen will tell Robert Mueller of a 'Conspiracy to Collude' With Russia That Trump Participated In, Which Conspiracy Involved Him Having Advance Knowledge of Russian Hacking of the DNC."

https://nypost.com/2018/08/21/cohen-...ollude-lawyer/

Don't think this news week is going to be slowing down.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast