View Poll Results: Hail, Gunslinger, how be the film?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • It has remembered the face of its father, say thankya.

1 12.50%
  • Shit's gone 19.

7 87.50%

Thread: The Dark Tower (Nikolaj Arcel)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

The Dark Tower (Nikolaj Arcel)

Mild pass for most of the film, which feels about as over-polished and quadrant-accessible (and artistically anonymous) as you'd expect, but not without the occasional whimsy, wit, or effective emotional moment... but a hard pass for the unconscionably upbeat final ten minutes.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Mild pass for most of the film, which feels about as over-polished and quadrant-accessible (and artistically anonymous) as you'd expect, but not without the occasional whimsy, wit, or effective emotional moment... but a hard pass for the unconscionably upbeat final ten minutes.
    Fuller, wandering thoughts for the brave among you:

[
    ]

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Ratings be damned, the more I think about my weekend in movies, the more I'm convinced this was worse than The Emoji Movie. I had hopes that even if it were bad, it would at least contain a shred of depth or an idea retained from the books to make me want to read them. But it's devoid of substance, wonder or imagination of any kind, and just another dull, boring and lifeless cash grab with another skypocalypse for a climax. The Man in Black has been advertised as a sorceror worse than the devil, when what he does in the film is so generic for a telekinetic villain. Not only that, but the acting from everyone across the board is flat and wooden, and it's headache inducing to attempt to get invested in Jake Chambers and even the Gunslinger. I was most curious to learn how all of Stephen King's stories were connected, and even the callbacks to his stories felt tacked on. It's an absolute slog and one of the worst movies of the year.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Seeing this at the bottom of the front page is weirdly amazing. What if they made a Dark Tower movie and nobody cared?

When they can't get me jazzed to see it, what's even the point?

Cant wait to check it out.

In the dollar theater. After school starts. On a weekday at noon.

With book movies I sometimes wonder if someone that has never read the book might end up liking it more. I'll probably watch this when I can get it for free.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Rico (view post)
    With book movies I sometimes wonder if someone that has never read the book might end up liking it more. I'll probably watch this when I can get it for free.
    Was thinking this too. For example, I haven't finished the series yet- I just finished Songs of Susanna. (BTW side note, in another thread I said the 19 99 references were few in far between in King's books, well almost all the 19 99 references are in Songs of Susanna). and there literally wasn't one reference from books 1-6 with the exception of the characters and maybe a reference to the Wasteland. No Charlie the Choochoo. No Lobstrosities. No robot wolves. No Drawing of Three. Nothing that made the books so good. What we have is an original story, with a few wink and nods from other King Books and a finale that made Star Wars Episode III cry. And the final shot ending- wow... on a dime.

It didn't need to be an action film. In fact, if they made a film with the pacing of Blade Runner 2049, covering certain elements of the books, it would have time to cover some of these side stories. Just 30 more minutes would have helped. Instead it's a brisk 90 minute mess.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Watched a few clips of this today to remind myself that it happened at all.