Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween (David Gordon Green & Danny McBride)

- - - - -

Halloween (David Gordon Green & Danny McBride)

Quote Quoting John Carpenter
    So you say you want a Revolution?
    You want to shake things up and bring back Halloween and make it rock again?

Well so do I.

So here’s the announcement you’ve all been waiting for:

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride are joining the project to complete the creative team. David and Danny will write the script together and David will direct. I will continue in my executive producer role to consult and offer my advice and feedback as needed.

David and Danny both came to my office recently with Jason Blum and shared their vision for the new movie and…WOW. They get it. I think you’re gonna dig it. They blew me away.

I might even do the music. Maybe. It could be kind of cool.

And you’ll get to see it in theaters on October 19th, 2018.
    https://www.facebook.com/JohnCarpent...type=3&theater

http://www.blumhouse.com/2017/02/09/...for-blumhouse/

What ... the .... ?!

I'll await for the first shot to happen, but why not?

Sometimes I wish these guys would just come up with a new concept, but whatever.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Um... fuck yes?
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

There's so many ways you can make a movie about a dude in a mask who kills people. I wonder what exciting vision DGG and McBride can bring to this tired genre.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    There's so many ways you can make a movie about a dude in a mask who kills people. I wonder what exciting vision DGG and McBride can bring to this tired genre.
    Exactly. I really don't understand why these studios don't pump out 1 of these a year like they did the Paranormal and Saw series. They are cheap to make. People love the character. Hell people love Freddy and Jason too. Just keep making them. The new Friday the 13th was just pushed out indefinitely this week. I don't understand why. What else are you (studios) doing in the horror space?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Agreed, Duke. People act like they're such sacred properties that haven't already had a bunch of misses. Just go for it.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Agreed, Duke. People act like they're such sacred properties that haven't already had a bunch of misses. Just go for it.
    On most cases, I agree with this point.

But Halloween: Resurrection had Busta Rhymes kick Michael Myers's face in.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)

Ha. I just looked up this movie on Letterboxd to refresh my memory and this is what I wrote:

Halloween 8 AKA Resurrection: Back to Suckage- I'm glad they finally wrote off Laurie character. I was getting tired of her with only 3.25 appearances in 8 movies. It was a nice way to explain the beheading of Michael Myers. Though the opening of the movie takes place in ANOTHER hospital where there doesn't appear to be anyone working in it, the rest of the movie is filled with victims. We have a young Katee Sackhoff, Busta Rhymes (presumably at the height of his music career) and Tyra Banks fresh off the SI Swimsuit Edition and Coyote Ugly. Just by the latter two stars this movie already feels incredibly dated with tons of internet lingo, and the help of some really bad product placement of an HP Palm Pilot and Yahoo. The premise of the movie tries to piggyback off the previous events in the franchise with the exception of ignoring the 6th movie; Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers where a family actually moved into the old house where Michael murdered his sister. In Resurrection it is presented as if the house has been unoccupied for 50 years. The death scenes are 90s-eye-rolling-worthy- In fact, aside from some F-Bombs by Bustra Rhymes and some boobs on a grainy lipstick camera, I'm wondering if this could pass for PG-13 today. As expected, not the best way to end a classic franchise; at the bottom of the barrel. "Hey Mikey, Happy Fuckin' Halloween!"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)

I didn't say which were misses.

That's a good post Irish, but I think the Saw franchise and the Final Destination franchise both proved that theory wrong. There's a trillion different ways to portray death in a slasher film. The cooler the death, the more fun the movie. The more over the top, the better. I was giggling when I saw this and I want more.

[]

Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Maybe Michael Myers will be the victim?????

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

So apparently this is not a remake. They're doing the Superman Returns thing and going to make it a direct continuation of the first Halloween II, ignoring the rest of the series (and the Rob Zombie version).
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Okay well thats the most interesting thing I've heard so far.

The first two are the only ones where Myers is just a dude in the mask rather than a supernatural entity, so I'm gonna wager that that's the main reason for that decision.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Aw, man, I know H2O ain't so good, but I appreciated its efforts to play fair with Curtis's character. De-canonizing that isn't the worst thing, but it's a bummer.

He's inexplicably unstoppable in the Carpenter flicks, yes, but it was only in the 4-6 trilogy that it's revealed that he's under the control of a Viking cult that made him immortal with a curse when he was a baby.
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    I'm glad Halloween Resurrection is the first I watched, because many years later H20 is a very good ending point for me. The first two and H20 make a pretty good trilogy.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    He's inexplicably unstoppable in the Carpenter flicks, yes, but it was only in the 4-6 trilogy that it's revealed that he's under the control of a Viking cult that made him immortal with a curse when he was a baby.
    I should see those someday. lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The sixth one has Paul Rudd playing a grown up version of the little kid from the first movie.
    Movie Theater Diary

Holy shit I need to rewatch those. I've only seen them once, and I don't remember anything that cool.

The sixth one has Paul Rudd playing a grown up version of the little kid from the first movie.
    My notes on that one:

Six years after the events of the last movie, Jamie is all grown up and about to give birth. Right out the gate we are forced to accept the fact that Jamie was somehow knocked up, kidnapped and brought to the exact place Michael was living. We are at least explained who the mystery man in black was. And the significance of the tattoo on Micheal's hand. Halloween 6 could possibly be the most dated movie in the series- ty dye shirts, grunge boots, flannel and INTRODUCING PAUL RUDD! H6 does have some positives- some brutal death scenes including a drill to the torso, an electrified head explosion and an operator room massacre. Overall a pretty bad script and premise. The best they could do was having Jamie continue the blood line so Michael had motivation to kill more- or as the movie puts it- a "last sacrifice"? Maybe if they let them kill the baby, Michael will stop killing everyone in the town. What was he doing for the last 6 years anyway? Nothing? Nudity was lacking in this one- a short topless after-sex scene.

**½

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Holy shit I need to rewatch those. I've only seen them once, and I don't remember anything that cool.
    Same here.

Movie Theater Diary

"one last time"

Oh, you.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast