Thread: Marvel's The Runaways (Hulu)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Marvel's The Runaways (Hulu)

First... wtf? I thought this was going to be a movie in Phase 4. Super disappointed.

Second... Hulu? I thought they had exleusive streaming rights on Netflix?

Third... fuckin a... now I'm going to have buy a hulu sub?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/ma...naways-a148634
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'll wait for a DVD release. Screw Hulu sub.

The Runaways concept is definitely better as a teen soap than a movie.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The Runaways concept is definitely better as a teen soap than a movie.
    Agreed. And the showrunners make sense. I just wanted it a little bit more mainstream than Hulu. I feel like it will die there.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Agreed. And the showrunners make sense. I just wanted it a little bit more mainstream than Hulu. I feel like it will die there.
    i know that the cw is dc territory, but this would've been perfect there. or even freeform

I just wanted it a little bit more mainstream than Hulu. I feel like it will die there.
    This is funny now after the Emmy's.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    This is funny now after the Emmy's.
    Why what happened at the Emmy's?

Why what happened at the Emmy's?
    Hulu won more Emmys than Netflix and became the first streaming service to have Best Drama.
    Movie Theater Diary

I liked this a lot.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    I don't understand why Marvel exercises no quality control over its licenses on TV. This show has a more engaging cast and just looked better than anything on Netflix or broadcast. ("Legion" is the only other property I can think of that stands out in a similar way.)

I think I read the first few issues of the comic (or maybe a trade paperback?). One of the things I liked about it was how efficiently Vaughn established the premise. The show is looser, which is both blessing and curse. I liked the way they created storylines outside any fantasy elements. The show plays more like a teen dramedy than a superhero story. That, and a balanced cast, felt like a breath of fresh air. But I wish the plot on the backend had been a little more focused and less open ended. I know it's a serial show; I'm just weary of seeing the same formulas play out again and again. (Lotsa narrative hooks, no resolutions, no central story, and a cliffhanger in the last 3 minutes.)

ETA: And fuck Hulu for stringing out the episodes over a month-long period. That's some lame CBS All Access shit.
    Last edited by Irish; 11-23-2017 at 02:08 AM.

Knocked out the first three episodes presently available. Back in May I bought a deluxe collection of the first 18 issues and remember the basic arc of the first volume pretty well, so it's a little depressing how the show stretches out the Runaways element to where they haven't even run away by the end of the 3rd episode. That said, despite some over-dramatic glowering in the first episode, the cast does a solid job of generating a lot of the same ease and enjoyment out of these characters. The dino pool-floaty just doesn't stop being funny, and as Irish noted, it just looks good. A quality filmic layer, though I'm excited for the show to advance past the origin part of this series that it seems to be belaboring in a way that Vaughan and Alphona's series didn't.

Also, since I'm not really reading new comics presently, how is the Rainbow Rowell reboot of this?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

- - - - -
    Finished all 3 initial episodes. I can't honestly remember a show that played its narrative cards this close to the vest. As dd says, it's called "The Runaways." They burned 3 hours and nobody has run away yet.

I didn't know much more after the third hour than I knew after the first. Elements like "Pride" and "Synergy" sound like basic narrative building blocks but the dialogue references them so elusively, like it's a deep mystery and they're building up to a terrific reveal. Meanwhile, I'm wondering why I should care---and I don't, really, but I like the cast and I like the look of the thing.

ETA: I still like this better than any of the other Marvel shows, but goddamn did it try my patience by the third episode.
    Last edited by Irish; 11-24-2017 at 09:09 PM.