Thread: Dune (Denis Villeneuve)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Looks good.

edit: oh it's a two parter!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New pic that looks awfully "snapped from a trailer" to me. But hoping for a trailer around the corner is probably silly at this point.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    New pic that looks awfully "snapped from a trailer" to me. But hoping for a trailer around the corner is probably silly at this point.

I don't envy the people who have to decide when and where to spend marketing dollars for something that may or may not come out as planned. Yeesh.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Paul in training?

He's quite a naturally spindly dude. Hope he can get some lean muscle on him for the sequel.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Some leaked snippets from the trailer that the studio hilariously thinks will be safe until SEPTEMBER FUCKING 9th. A teaser version of the trailer is apparently going to be in front of some Tenet screenings, but a fuller version is due to be released in Sept. Yeah....we'll see.

EDIT: And they're gone now.
    Last edited by Wryan; 08-28-2020 at 04:31 PM.

--Homer

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The PR department has awakened.

--Homer

I predict this will be a mess.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I predict this will be a mess.
    Denis hasn't failed me yet.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Denis hasn't failed me yet.
    Agreed but I just have serious doubts about Dune ever being properly adapted into a movie. Every version (that I've seen) has been a mess. I get the feeling the book is too dense to be adapted into a few hours without either a) significantly cutting back on everything, or b) it being an overly convoluted mess of ideas.

The Lynch version is so overfilled with V/O exposition in order to communicate all of the intricacies of the story world, characters and politics. It would be some kind of miracle to not have that be a problem in the new version.

Granted I have not read the book(s), but I don't

Agreed but I just have serious doubts about Dune ever being properly adapted into a movie. Every version (that I've seen) has been a mess. I get the feeling the book is too dense to be adapted into a few hours without either a) significantly cutting back on everything, or b) it being an overly convoluted mess of ideas.

The Lynch version is so overfilled with V/O exposition in order to communicate all of the intricacies of the story world, characters and politics. It would be some kind of miracle to not have that be a problem in the new version.

Granted I have not read the book(s), but I don't
    I haven't read the books either. The movie and docs I've seen lead me to believe its nearly unadaptable and very weird nerd shit I may never be into. Also...

...Denis hasn't failed me yet.

I'm glad he's doing anything sci-fi.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I've seen two Denny V flicks and came away from both liking them just fine and being relatively unmoved by them. Sometimes they feel so calculated in their artistry that they come off a little contrived, if that makes any sense. Like the narrative gets a little lost in the quest for perfect framing and perfect sound and perfect blocking. Looking forward to the flick, though, 'cause again, liked 'em both.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I've seen two Denny V flicks and came away from both liking them just fine and being relatively unmoved by them. Sometimes they feel so calculated in their artistry that they come off a little contrived, if that makes any sense. Like the narrative gets a little lost in the quest for perfect framing and perfect sound and perfect blocking. Looking forward to the flick, though, 'cause again, liked 'em both.
    Which ones have you seen?

I've seen Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.

This movie is going to be lightyears better than Lynch's.

Also, he said he wouldn't agree to it unless it was two movies. So it'll be around 5 hours total film I'd guess. That's not so bad.

--Homer

Which ones have you seen?

I've seen Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.
    Same.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

To be fair, I've had bloody penile discharge that was light-years better than Lynch's.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Same.
    I have Prisoners and am wanting to watch it but my interest dropped to hell when someone casually told me the ending as if it was no biggie.

Seen Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival and BR2049.

Enjoyed all of them, really.

--Homer

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Maaaaaybe? I don't think they'll beat the production design and costumes of Lynch's film, which are second only to Scott's "Blade Runner."

The book is kinda sorta unfilmable. SyFy did a mini-series version ~20 years ago that was okay, but they reduced the story to its most basic elements.

I don't think Villaneuve's movie will be good because the guys writing it have terrible track records. Among their credits: "The Postman," "The Good Shepherd", "Munich," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Prometheus," "Passengers," and "The Mummy" (2017).

So you got one guy who writes bad prestige dramas and another guy who writes terrible fantasy stuff, both of them adopting an awkward and unwieldy novel.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Seen Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival and BR2049.

Enjoyed all of them, really.
    Yeah. We all know why you're here. Don't try and hide it.

[]

I've seen Lynchs film twice. It's one of those films that falls into what I call an "anomaly of cinema". Is it good? I dont know. Do I watch it? Yes. Because it's just so damn bizarre I cant believe it got made.
    Last edited by Skitch; 08-29-2020 at 01:00 AM.

Might try and go into this movie without having seen a trailer or anything.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

[]
    Mmm, slice me off a piece of that delicious apple pie.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

[]
    You seem to have attached an image of a piece of wet leather wearing a byzantine codpiece.

--Homer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast