Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

16 80.00%
  • Nay

4 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split (M. Night Shyamalan)

Hahah, that Honest Trailer nailed something that kept bugging me throughout the whole movie. Can I at least get a glimpse at the other fifteen personalities? Grant Morrison wrote a character called Crazy Jane with this exact same schtick for his version of Doom Patrol (in fact, I'm pretty sure this is where Shyamalan got the inspiration - The Beast being the equivalent of Black Annis) and part of the fun was how a previously unheard of personality would pop up for a specific scene or moment.

Shyamalan's bizarre career arc is so unique. He peaked with Unbreakable and has since acted the cinematic equivalent of a chastised husband stuck in a vicious relationship who hasn't stopped apologizing for The Happening when he proceeds to unfold The Last Airbender on his audience. So it makes sense that, for a film which is a return to form, he'd do an Unbreakable connection. I don't get people who say that this ruined the story for them. It's not as if the whole film is a "secret sequel". It's just one little coda at the end.

Anyway, McAvoy is as excellent as everyone says. The story is really risky and compelling, cleverly combining Horror movie mumbo-jumbo with a more developed and modern approach to mental illness. Let's hope for less After Earth and more of this in Shyamalandingdong's future.

Where 10 Cloverfield Lane succeeded as a hostage situation and a creature sci-fi movie, this got pretty dumb when it turned into a creature sci-fi movie. The talent of M. Night was definitely there in that first hour, with his choice of blocking, acting, and style. I just think its spirals downhill after the Doctor visits the house.

Much is obviously made about the ending, and I think it's because it covers up how horrible that last thirty minutes is.

But happy that there is a return to form for M. Night. Even if it was just for a hour.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Yeh late to the party here but enjoyed this quite a bit.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ditto. MacAvoy will win an Oscar one day.

lol what a terrible psychologist.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12