Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Didn't see a thread on this, but I know a lot of people have seen this.

Normally a 3 hour Romanian film gives me cinematic anxiety, but the runtime flies by. Yeah, it's funny, but equally depressing and features an absolute bonkers climax that I was not expecting. I can almost see the American remake Hollywood is working on with David O. Russell, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert De Niro,
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Producer
    I would go with Rose Byrne myself; apart from her more than capable ability, her resume happens to reflect the character somewhat: being in intense, dramatic roles for so long, before revealing she can do comedy with the best of them.

As for the film, it has a few great comedy set-pieces, as expected, but what's striking to me is how the film can achieve extreme dramatic depth with so little signifiers, with three instances choking me up real good: the club scene where Ines has a dawning, conflicted realization; the Song that evokes a ton of backstory just through body languages and facial expressions; and [
    ].
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Fuuuuuuck, I'm too excited for this.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I thought it was very good, though there's still something about it that for whatever reason kept it at a certain distance for me where I didn't find it as sharply moving or evocatively hilarious as I think I should've (aside from moments like some of the ones Peng mentioned still being stunning). But with those performances, the character work, the offbeat humour, the overarching (beautifully simple) story, and the thematic interplay of it all; it still amounts to one of the more uniquely satisfying films of the year for me.

It's an inexplicable and lovely film I don't think I can draw negatives from. I just wish it really blew me away, y'know? It does bodes well that for a movie so long that I'm very open to re-watching in the near future.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

It needs to be reiterated how funny this movie is. My theater was in uproar many times. It was a beautiful moment, during the song, when I could hear everyone laughing and I was too sometimes but also sometimes about to cry. It seemed to begin as a father making up for lost time, but as the story evolved it became more complex, funnier, and much more emotionally potent.

Also, Michael Moore happened to be at the same screening as me. It was fun to laugh with him.

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I thought it was very good, though there's still something about it that for whatever reason kept it at a certain distance for me where I didn't find it as sharply moving or evocatively hilarious as I think I should've
    Sort of where I'm at. I remember sitting there and thinking at one point that the whole thing was actually kind of depressing and not really funny at all, but there were still only a couple key scenes (the club scene, namely) that resonated for me dramatically in the moment. I enjoyed it overall, and the final stretch is incredible and ends on a strong note, but it's only now, long after watching it, that it's all starting to catch up to me. It's burrowed itself into my brain (I've even got that closing song from The Cure stuck in my head on repeat, ha) and I can't stop thinking about it. The painfulness of it all is slowly unfolding, resonating strongly in my mind, and the even the humor, too (I can't stop thinking about Toni's amazing wig, or that one moment in the restaurant where he pushes his table into the frame so everybody can watch him eat).

That is to say, it didn't really blow me away or anything, but I like it the more I think about it. The impression it makes is lasting and deep.

A singular experience, and one I'll need to revisit.
    Last edited by Stay Puft; 02-02-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Lots of good stuff here, but boy, I think it whiffs on the climactic party scene. I see what they are trying to do, showing us that Ines has rediscovered spontaneity and fun in life, but it's too extreme, too fast and utterly implausible. Somehow Ade doesn't successfully carry the momentum of the emotional Whitney song into the birthday party. I don't believe the moment and adding in the bizarre costume her father wears is a 'hat on a hat' that unfortunately robs the scene of emotional impact.

Still, I love Sandra Hüller's performance as Ines and I really enjoyed seeing an ambitious lengthy film centered on a professional woman and her career struggles. Definitely glad I saw this one.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I can almost see the American remake Hollywood is working on with David O. Russell, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert De Niro,
    How about Jack Nicholson and Kristen Wiig?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Great casting.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    That was inevitable.

Still, if I were Jack, I wouldn't want my last movie to be How Do You Know, either.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I'm not crazy about the casting. Kristen Wiig is a known clown. What drama is there in watching someone try to loosen her up and have her take life less seriously? They would be better off with an actress less known for comedic work. Like Emily Blunt, but 10 years older.

And Jack ... isn't the whole point of the character that he is initially ordinary and unassuming? Not exactly Jack's usual mode of operation. It's like they've cast the movie based on who the characters are in the final scenes, as opposed to having the tension of watching someone grow out of their comfort zone.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I do like a lot of of what you said, Spinal, but are we really judging performances before they're even filmed? Not saying they're going to completely reinvent themselves, but pretty sure Wiig has more than enough roles that haven't even been comedic since leaving SNL to show she has a ton of range. Her role in The Skeleton Twins is the perfect template and argument for how and what she might do in Hüller's role.

I'm mainly surprised this is Nicholson's first role since 2010.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I do like a lot of of what you said, Spinal, but are we really judging performances before they're even filmed?
    Movie stars carry baggage with them into roles that they play. These are talented performers, but I do think that their known qualities may not serve them well in this particular story. Isn't it all just a little too easy to imagine? What fun is that?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Movie stars carry baggage with them into roles that they play. These are talented performers, but I do think that their known qualities may not serve them well in this particular story. Isn't it all just a little too easy to imagine? What fun is that?
    I hear you, but I think this is more inherent issue with it being a remake, being so close to the original in our minds, and knowing they likely won't stray too far from its character arcs.

I admit I would've liked some sort of unexpected subversion, like it's now.. I dunno, a mother and son story! Obviously it's going to change a lot already with the cultural shift, why not push it even further to let them each stand on their own?

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Movie stars carry baggage with them into roles that they play.
    Casting Wiig allows them to shorthand the poster and the advertising. Put her face out there, everybody knows its a comedy. No further explanation needed. So in one sense, they're already using her baggage.

(I thought it was interesting that you name dropped Emily Blunt, since she can do anything, usually does, and sometimes does it in the same year. She's one of my favorite performers for this reason).

This will a remake, and it's not like 30 years ago when you could do that with Tom Hanks or whomever, shove it into the multiplex and nobody would be the wiser because nobody had heard of the original. I mean, Erdman has to be one of the most well known European movies to come in the last year. I know it's cynical to say so, but I'm not sure "imagination" and "fun" enter into the equation.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    (I thought it was interesting that you name dropped Emily Blunt, since she can do anything, usually does, and sometimes does it in the same year. She's one of my favorite performers for this reason).
    Mine too. I like the fact that I've seen and loved her in three different movies and yet I still have to struggle a bit to remember what she looks like.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I know it's cynical to say so, but I'm not sure "imagination" and "fun" enter into the equation.
    No, I think we're on the same page here. That seems accurate.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

I like the casting simply because I feel confident in their ability to walk the dramatic/comedic tightrope so crucial to the heart of the film. Wiig may be known for her comedy, but she has shown just enough range that I trust she will pull it off. And I see Nicholson nailing those opening scenes, for instance. If anything, it's almost too obvious.

Producer
    Feeling like they already had their auditions via films separately for this, Wiig by The Skeleton Twins and (especially) Nicholson by About Schmidt.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

This was good but it felt like I've seen this movie sooooooo many times before. Uptight business-type/shrew gets new lease on life. Been there, done that. Thankfully Sandra Huller is fantastic and the movie never feels as long as it is.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    the movie never feels as long as it is.
    This is, frankly, what's so extraordinary about it. It keeps building momentum throughout a leisurely running time and taking turns at unlikely moments. I thought this was a wonderful movie and honestly very emotional. I also had problems with the sudden breakdown of Inés but the truth is that the whole movie takes its characters at face value, always giving us a fly-on-the-wall approach.

As for the shitty Hollywood remake, I'd do it with Michael Keaton and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    As for the shitty Hollywood remake, I'd do it with Michael Keaton and Gwyneth Paltrow.
    I dig it.

This was really good - I've liked all three of her films.

I've tried to put thoughts down on this movie and twice I've stopped. You guys observations on films seem more nuanced than mine. (Did I even use "nuanced" correctly?) Mostly I'm just "I like it or" "I didn't like it".

This was a mixed bag. I enjoyed several bits, but also there are times it feels like it's just trying to be weird for the sake of being weird. [
    ] I did enjoy the final act mostly for the comedy of it all, but the real emotional impact of their relationship came before that during the singing scene.

I'm not sure I fully understand what this film was trying to say about these people, their relationships, and the world they live in. But I'll be thinking about it for some time to come. So it made an impact.

I don't think any of Ade's film are meant to have some singular meaning that everyone will come out with. The masturbation scene does show who is running the show - I just saw it as character development illustrated in a diverting style. The movie flew by - didn't realize it was that long until I started reading some more about it today.