Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: North of the Wall (The NHL Discussion Thread)

North of the Wall (The NHL Discussion Thread)

The Carolina Hurricanes being ranked 3rd in their conference in ridiculous. They have enough points to put them in 7th.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Best Boy
    Agreed, and I don't think it was that long ago when they wouldn't have had enough points for a playoff position at all outside of winning the division, wasn't it?

I'm with the people who say that if the NHL wants to give a playoff berth to the winner of each division fine, but an automatic top three seeding is ridiculous.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    The Carolina Hurricanes being ranked 3rd in their conference in ridiculous. They have enough points to put them in 7th.
    They plummeted from 3rd to 9th on the last day of the season. Sucks for them.

First round predictions:

Montreal vs. Boston
    Pittsburgh vs. Ottawa
    Washington vs. Philly
    New Jersey vs. New York
    Detroit vs. Nashville
    San Jose vs. Calgary
    Minnesota vs. Colorado
    Anaheim vs. Dallas (I don't really believe this one, but I'm really hoping)
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

I can't wait!!! I am guessing Montreal in 5, I'll figure the rest out in time... I wish I had tickets
    Follow me on Twitter

Go PENS!

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    GO WINGS!!!

There is no professional sport whose playoffs are more exciting than the NHL. I'm watching games that I couldn't care less about. That Calgary/San Jose game last night was fantastic. 3-0 San Jose 4 minutes into the game and Calgary comes back to win in the 3rd period. Awesome.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    There is no professional sport whose playoffs are more exciting than the NHL. I'm watching games that I couldn't care less about. That Calgary/San Jose game last night was fantastic. 3-0 San Jose 4 minutes into the game and Calgary comes back to win in the 3rd period. Awesome.
    even thought the baseball fan in me cringes. i have to agree. so high energy. it's on a different level than the rest of the year.

I don't get a lot of channels so I'm pretty much stuck watching the Rangers/Devils series, plus whatever the big games are on Saturday. Last night's game was pretty good. Exciting OT. Hate to see a team lose on such a lucky goal, though.

Also, Dallas up two games to nil on Anaheim. Sick.

Best Boy
    It looks like the league didn't waste any time addressing Sean Avery's latest bit of douchebaggery:
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=234281&l...s=secStory_nhl

National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued a statement Monday to make the league's position clear going forward. The statement said:

"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

So if anyone tried Avery's ploy again, it will be a two-minute penalty.

At least they dealt with it... man Avery is such a asshat.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    Also, Dallas up two games to nil on Anaheim. Sick.
    Considering my hatred of all things Chris Pronger, I couldn't be happier about this development.

Missed the Wild game last night 'cause of the late start time. Guess we're a bunch of thugs. Score.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/17737154.html

Original article:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8927475
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I watched the game last night, and took great pleasure in watching the Avs get the shit kicked out of them. Especially Forsberg.

I watched the game last night, and took great pleasure in watching the Avs get the shit kicked out of them. Especially Forsberg.
    NEGGED!

Although since the strike, I've never really been interested in hockey. The playoffs were very exciting, but now I watch and just don't care. The playoffs were right there with March Madness in my opinion because of how excited the crowds get.

I want to enjoy that again.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    NEGGED!
    Dude, I'm from Michigan. Red Wings fan my whole life. Even though the rivalry has subsided, I still hate the Avs. Always will.

HILARIOUS article in the Washington Post today. It should be re-titled, "Waaaahhh, my pussy hurts!"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041503637.html

Here's part of the article:
    The tenor of this rugged series is terrible news for hockey progressives everywhere, the way the Flyers have punked a nice bunch of free skaters who train in Ballston and used to be among the most feared offensive teams in the NHL.

A few Capitals employees nodded their heads approvingly when Mike Green squared off with Philadelphia's Scottie Upshall at the outset of the third period, as if to say, "Finally." But lost in the moment was an ugly truth: Green had never gotten into a fight at any level of the game according to HockeyFights.com, which tracks scraps all the way back to juniors.

When the Caps' offensive-minded defenseman lost it, Philly had won: Washington was trying to play the Flyers' bump-and-grind game.

Midway through the third period of this demoralizing 6-3 loss at Wachovia Center, 20,000 people in fluorescent orange howled for their World Extreme Cagefighters, and a crowd in the upper bowl chanted vulgarities at Ovechkin that went beyond the bounds of loutish fan behavior. As the frothing masses left the arena, they felt good about the bull being struck and killed -- checking the multi-generational Russian wizards Ovechkin and Sergei Fedorov into humility as much as the boards.

Give the Flyers proper respect: They were the team playing at the Capitals' former level, bum-rushing toward the goal at full speed, hitting everything in their sight.

---------------
    One more part:
    For most of the evening, there was this unmistakable air of testosterone coming from the Flyers' direction that just reeked of physicality, a way of exerting their mauling style on the Capitals that just sent their denizens into some medieval state of euphoria.

"We want to make it physical between the whistles," Flyers Coach John Stevens said. "I think it's important for no other reason then it's the best tool we have to defend, to be honest with you. I think it's very important that we move our feet and finish our checks and get people pushed off the puck."

Translation: "We will keep punking the Caps until the NHL commissioner tells us not to. This is HOCKEY fer chissakes."
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Yeah, that's a pretty funny article. Flyers are really the only team in the league that I hate though. They've always been a physical team, but this year they've been needlessly violent. And it's been the cheap, cowardly kind of violent.

Round II lookout. I'm hoping we get the Caps and not New York. Lundqvist scares me.

I'm hoping for a habs win tonight, it will be sweet to win the series in town.
    Follow me on Twitter

Dude, I'm from Michigan. Red Wings fan my whole life. Even though the rivalry has subsided, I still hate the Avs. Always will.
    I thought that rivalry was going to spark up again this year. Sadly, it did not.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What the hell is Washington doing? Philly was slumping big time at the end of the season. They should have gone the way of the Sens.

Someone needs to kneecap the Av's goalie.

If/when The Wild lose this series, I might have to take an interest in the Av's, just 'cause their goalie is insane.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Someone needs to kneecap the Av's goalie.

If/when The Wild lose this series, I might have to take an interest in the Av's, just 'cause their goalie is insane.
    He's been frustrating at times. Especially last year.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast