6 60.00%
  • Nay

4 40.00%

Thread: Fences (Denzel Washington)

Fences (Denzel Washington)

FENCES

Director: Denzel Washington

imdb

You could tell that this was based off a play, as the entire things plays out exactly like one, taking place in very few locations with extended scenes of nothing but pure drama and dialogue exchanges. This is an actor's movie, through and through, and the performances here are frankly outstanding. Hell, much as I loved Emma Stone in La La Land, Viola Davis quite frankly deserves the Oscar for her performance here, and it'll be highway robbery if she doesn't get it.

It perhaps overstays its welcome a bit in the last act, and ends on an inappropriately overly-cheesy note, but otherwise, this is extremely compelling stuff. Just hard drama and fantastic performances all around.

Producer
    If I remember correctly, it won't be Viola Davis vs Emma Stone (the latter can duke it out with Natalie Portman), but vs Michelle Williams (which based on the buzz Davis would probably win), since she's campaigning for Supporting I think.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Yeah, someone was telling me that earlier. I'd argue that her performance is a leading role here, but I suppose I can see why it would be placed in supporting. Probably have an easier time winning there in any event.

Unfortunately, I was not too impressed by this. In fact, I found it to just be alright at best.

I tend to like these actor showcase movies that started out as plays. However, I feel like a director has to approach it with some trademarks in mind. Mike Nichols, Sidney Lumet, and even David Mamet are some great examples of taking plays and making great movies out of them. Here, it could've just taken a live version of the play and it would've sufficed.

There are moments where it is especially strong, typically highlighted for when Washington's Troy gets a beefy part with one other actor. That's what I came for, and was especially happy with those scenes.

I think Denzel remains one of the best actors there is.

The final scene gets a little cheesy, and I don't think hits the note that it wanted to. I'm curious how the play handles it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Unfortunately, I was not too impressed by this. In fact, I found it to just be alright at best.

I tend to like these actor showcase movies that started out as plays. However, I feel like a director has to approach it with some trademarks in mind. Mike Nichols, Sidney Lumet, and even David Mamet are some great examples of taking plays and making great movies out of them. Here, it could've just taken a live version of the play and it would've sufficed.
    I suppose I can see this. After all, it was for this very reason that I didn't like Into the Woods. But I guess here, since all the focus was on the characters and dialogue, this aspect didn't bother me nearly so much, even if it was still noticeable.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Fences is 100% not made for me. I really don't like asshole protagonists that are an asshole cause that's how it's gotta be. Living my entire life around mental illnesses like autism and the like I always get uncomfortable when a movie portrays a main character with mental illness usually cause it's so wrong and just used to further the story. I mean I knew before I watched Fences that it wouldn't be for me and that I was only watching it because it's likely going to be a Best Picture nom, I just didn't think I'd dislike it as much as I did. Yeah there are good performances, but that's about it for me. And what the hell with that ending.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Fences is 100% not made for me. I really don't like asshole protagonists that are an asshole cause that's how it's gotta be. Living my entire life around mental illnesses like autism and the like I always get uncomfortable when a movie portrays a main character with mental illness usually cause it's so wrong and just used to further the story. I mean I knew before I watched Fences that it wouldn't be for me and that I was only watching it because it's likely going to be a Best Picture nom, I just didn't think I'd dislike it as much as I did. Yeah there are good performances, but that's about it for me. And what the hell with that ending.
    Yeah, I haven't peered into the reviews yet, 78% on metacritic, but when it played at the AFI Film Fest a couple of months ago, Film Twitter declared it masterful and all that. Which is fine, because Film Twitter likes to do that at the premiere of any movie, but they're usually pretty good at calling something that, in my mind, is subjectively pretty bad.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Too talky.

A decent work of filmed theater. Denzel and Viola knock it out of the park.