• Yay

14 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: your name. (Makoto Shinkai)

your name. (Makoto Shinkai)

your name.
    Makoto Shinkai, 2016.

Synopsis: Mitsuha, a girl from a small village, and Taki, a guy from Tokyo switch up bodies when they fall asleep. A comet ensues.

How does it look? Beautiful.

What about it? Although the body switching trope is done to death, Shinkai managed to constantly surprise me over and over again...

[
    ]

There's a lot of comedy from the switchers, but instead of cheap gags, most of them come from Taki and Mitsuha dicking out with everyone else's life

[
    ]

Ultimately, the things that works best is how those two seem to enjoy life on the other one's body and appreciate the little things they wouldn't otherwise notice when they're in their original lives, kinda how ourselves sometimes take the little things in our lives for granted. And from that, a budding romance spans and it works really great thanks to Shinkai's grasp on the melancholic feeling of the "what if".

In many ways, Your Name often recalls 5 Centimeters Per Second and it's thematic of growing apart from someone you loved and longing for that past and uses those associations to constantly tease the viewer with the expectation of an encounter between those two star crossed lovers and I feel some people could be divided on that, however, that feeling makes the twists of the story a little bit more surprising and rewarding so... whoever has troubles with that, keep going, you won't regret it.

Final thoughts: FEEEEEEEEEEEEELS.
    Last edited by Philip J. Fry; 05-28-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Mild yay. Some funny stuff early on (the whole boob-grabbing motif, for instance), but the plot is too complicated by half.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    This is now my favorite movie of the year. Finally Shinkai wrote a movie which was on par with his art.

Funimation will release this here (er, US and Canada) in theatres on April 7th, in both English dub and sub versions. Can we get a bump to 2017?

I still need to catch up with Makoto Shinkai's last couple films. Looking forward to this, though.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    Funimation will release this here (er, US and Canada) in theatres on April 7th, in both English dub and sub versions. Can we get a bump to 2017?

I still need to catch up with Makoto Shinkai's last couple films. Looking forward to this, though.
    I don't mind if you bump it. I probably would've posted in the 2017 board if it had been there.

Ditto for The Red Turtle.

K, so I caught a screening of this, and modern cinema can seriously stop stealing all my ideas before I get a chance to do anything with them. I mean, it's sorta cool and all to see, but by the same token, I'll be extremely annoyed if I ever hear anyone claim that my ideas were in any way inspired by such movies. They weren't.

Still though, beautiful film.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Just got back from this. A part of me is still trying to understand the sci-fi/spiritual logistics of the story, because it's a little hard to follow at times.

But the other half of me is an emotional mess and wants to see it again as soon as possible.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I really wasn't sure about this movie in the first 45 minutes or so when I thought it was just a gender-swap comedy. But then when the film reveals its true narrative, I was hooked 100%. The build-up to the 'big event' is exhilarating with the well-paced editing and swell of music. And if the denouement is maybe a touch too easy, it is regardless absurdly sweet in the best way. This is a movie I would love to watch again.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Finally, a great body swap movie again.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

By the way, did any of you watch it dubbed? I'm curious how they handled all the wordplay stuff and pronoun switching. It gets pretty busy with the subs as it tries to quickly explain all the different translations.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Subtitles for me. And yes, it was a little frenetic in places.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I watched it subbed, but I have a friend on another forum who I believe saw the dubbed version. I should ask him this...

For what it's worth, the subtitled lyric translations for the film's songs are baaaaaad. I mean, the lyrics aren't very good, but they were almost distractingly bad to me.

This is probably my favorite Shinkai after 5 cm per second. He has a fairly limited pool of key images and themes, but I think actually familiarity with them is helping to generate richer viewing experiences. The imagery in the last few minutes of this resonated against the ending of 5cm pretty interestingly I think

Saw it dubbed. Made sense, was good. Not sure I know what you're getting at in terms of wordplay not coming across, unless the dub is just a better translation than the subs. Also enjoyed English versions of the songs even though the lyrics are a bit strained at times.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Saw it dubbed. Made sense, was good. Not sure I know what you're getting at in terms of wordplay not coming across, unless the dub is just a better translation than the subs. Also enjoyed English versions of the songs even though the lyrics are a bit strained at times.
    The Japanese has a dozen different words for "I" depending on gender, age, familiarity, and context. There's a couple of scenes where they body switch and other people find them weird because they kept using the wrong pronouns. So I'm wondering how they translated these jokes in the dub.

There is also some thematically crucial bit of etymological wordplay regarding the Japanese word for "twilight" being derived from the words "who" and "hour," essentially meaning "the hour in which you truly learn who someone is," which is talked about in the classroom scenes and later pays off in the ending. It's one of the most effective uses of foreshadowing I've seen in a movie in a while, but I figured that must have been odd to try to convey in English dialogue. The subs just clunkily write all the explanation out.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The Japanese has a dozen different words for "I" depending on gender, age, familiarity, and context. There's a couple of scenes where they body switch and other people find them weird because they kept using the wrong pronouns. So I'm wondering how they translated these jokes in the dub.

There is also some thematically crucial bit of etymological wordplay regarding the Japanese word for "twilight" being derived from the words "who" and "hour," essentially meaning "the hour in which you truly learn who someone is," which is talked about in the classroom scenes and later pays off in the ending. It's one of the most effective uses of foreshadowing I've seen in a movie in a while, but I figured that must have been odd to try to convey in English dialogue. The subs just clunkily write all the explanation out.
    Hmm, I don't remember them playing on the pronoun thing (probably not possible in English). There are ways they confuse other characters by what they say, etc.

The twilight thing is replaced by the concept of "magic hour" and there's a sort of mysticism or reverence placed on it, though it's obviously not wordplay or the true foreshadowing of the Japanese dialogue.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

So I asked my friend on the other forum, and here's what he had to say:

There was two parts where they really brought it up that I remember. They did not linger long on it or mess up a lot. The first time we see Taki switched with Mitsuha, he messed up talking to her sister or grandmother I believe. Then when Mitsuha was in Taki's body at school during lunch with his friends and they notice when she says something as a female. Which is one of the funnier moments as she tries to correct herself and speak like a guy.

This is the subbed version of that clip.

It was virtually eliminated in the dub. I am having difficulty finding a dub clip of that scene. There are not very many dub clips.
    Most of the comments in that video I added earlier were asking the exact same question. What Mitsuha said was : "We girls. Uh gals. Uh boys. Guys".

I loved it when it was a body swap comedy and I still loved it when it became whatever the hell that was in the second half [
    ]

I don't know if it's Makoto Shinkai's best film but I can see why it became such a huge hit. It's endlessly charming and entertaining but it also balances melancholy and longing, crafting something ridiculously fun but also surprisingly emotional. The timing is maybe a coincidence here but I left the theatre thinking "that's what I want out of a summer blockbuster" and it's the film I'm now judging every other summer move against this year.

The only thing I didn't get: Why did the phone messages disappear? Why would that even happen? It didn't even seem to matter (what does it actually change about the plot?).
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    The only thing I didn't get: Why did the phone messages disappear? Why would that even happen? It didn't even seem to matter (what does it actually change about the plot?).
    Yeah, that was some convenient dramatic timing. I also wondered about that.

Now this was a very good movie even if I agree with baby doll that it became way too convoluted. I loved the switch from body swap comedy to eerie drama, though.

We're leaving Japan in three hours, and one of the last things Dina and I did in Tokyo yesterday was this...

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I blind bought this blu-ray last year. Watched it a couple months ago. What a lovely, beautiful, heartbreaking film. So glad to have it in the collection. Marvelous.

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆