Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

14 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: Paterson (Jim Jarmusch)

Paterson (Jim Jarmusch)

This was just lovely. It's never preachy, but the contentedness with which they lead their lives makes us examine our own. Great performances from Driver, Farahani, and the dog. It's understated, earnest, and quite funny, with unexpected moments that always feel right. A great addition to Jarmusch's body of work and it contrasts nicely with Only Lovers Left Alive's detached, cynical, fantastical love story.

Producer
    Aha!

Feels like my heart just grew three sizes bigger. Yeah this was real lovely.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    This was just lovely.
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Yeah this was real lovely.
    Yup, that's exactly what I wanted to post, haha.

What can I even add to that?

I did think the [
    ] was an obvious and clumsy moment, an overly cute way to lowkey force a dilemma that necessitates a conclusion/thesis statement, but said concluding scene was so... well, lovely, just like the rest of the film... that it didn't really bother me too much.

Anyways, it's a beautiful film, really impressive work from Jarmusch. It's a wonderful ode to an everyday poet, observed gently and deeply with a skill Jarmusch has spent years honing, capturing the spirit of Paterson, the place, and the many souls who reside there (Paterson among them), the way only he can. The conversation between the two construction workers had me rolling, one of the most ridiculously funny scenes of the year for me (and apparently Jarmusch actually overheard that convo in a bar, haha). This is probably my favorite work of his since... Broken Flowers? Dead Man? I dunno, but it's super good. I loved it.
    Last edited by Stay Puft; 03-06-2017 at 03:09 AM.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Slow and mundane, but in a nice way. I like this character. Even when something bad happens to him he is like ok, can we just move on from it? One thing though, what is up with Jarmusch name dropping of late. He does it here and recently in Only Lovers Left Alive.

Jarmusch is not my type of director. However, that said, I thought this was just so pleasant and subtly funny that I can't dislike it.

EDIT: I forgot the one infuriating thing, the Amazon 2-day free shipping product placement. Come on, Jim.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 06-26-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Movies was good but this is cute: the two leads from Moonrise Kingdom (which I just re-watched tonight) have a cameo in this Jarmusch film:

https://i.redd.it/4f2zxkoae7641.jpg