Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

13 76.47%
  • Nay

4 23.53%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jackie (Pablo Lorrain)

I'm going to be a dissenter on this movie. However, I think the comparisons with Malick are unfair. This is not an inept bore.

I think it's a well-made film with plenty of assets (acting, cinematography) but I'm unsure that I actually took something of value from it. At its best it's a portrait of grief like you guys said, which could have been made about any widow. At its worst it's a collection of random vignettes set around a very specific time period. What I do know is that it left me cold.

Engaging and cinematically poetic. Did not feel as consciously free-form as Malick or as inauthentically deliberate as Lonergan. I think it found itself in a good medium where performance and technique were able to be effecting in real way. As with a lot of films that aim for this sort of ethereal tone, there is still a distance that keeps it from being overwhelmingly impactful or transcendent. But I do appreciate the skill and awareness it took to make this mostly compelling for its entire length.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12