View Poll Results: Target Area is only 2 meters wide

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • You may fire when ready

27 67.50%
  • There is a weakness in the battle station

13 32.50%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards)

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    A constant reminder of his greatest defeat.
    Keeps the anger and hatred fresh and strong.

Haven't read the thread closely yet, so apologies if repeating others thoughts, just got out and want to get out while its fresh. As with all Star Wars movies, I'm such a fan that I'll have to watch it a dozen times until I can fully digest it.

Spoilered just in case.
    [
    ]

I quite enjoyed everything else. Donnie Yen's pimpness knows no bounds. If he had had a bit more tune with the Force, he would have been invincible. It wouldn't even have been fair.

Like I said, still needs to digest with repeat viewings, but for now I'll say OT > Rogue One > everything else

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Bac0n and I got a ridiculous case of the laughs / giggles when [
    ]

Granted, we were several cocktails in at that point.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    ]

That gag got the biggest reaction at my screening.

It's a really good gag.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Why does Vader live on a lava planet? Shouldn't he avoid lava?
    Ha. http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-intriguin...ogu-1790631631
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That Vader scene could very well be the best use of how terrifying The Force is to non-Force users. Other than that, it's pretty dang casual throughout mostly.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

]

I was no cocktails, and I laughed loudly. Something I almost never do in theater. His delivery is perfect.

One more thing, in another thread there was a discussion about all the trailers right now with slow revamped 80s songs. Well kudos to whoever pointed that out, because never was it more on display that the load that played in front of Rogue One for me. I bet it was nearly ten trailers, all in a row, with that kind of music. It was funny...then it was weirdly embarrassing.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    One more thing, in another thread there was a discussion about all the trailers right now with slow revamped 80s songs. Well kudos to whoever pointed that out, because never was it more on display that the load that played in front of Rogue One for me. I bet it was nearly ten trailers, all in a row, with that kind of music. It was funny...then it was weirdly embarrassing.
    I had the same experience! It was ridiculous.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

So I just learned that some of the pilot footage from the X-Wing assault at the end was unseen archive footage from a New Hope. Kinda cool.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It was really noticeable when I saw it. We all commented afterwards how the film suddenly got way grainier in certain shots.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

CGI Tarkin and Leia super unnecessary. A silhouette or something to that effect, as others have also mentioned, would have been satisfactory. But it not only would have been satisfactory, but I think even more effective than having Tarkin appear, even if Cushing were alive to do it himself. It would have played up the sense of foreboding and foreshadowing given by nostalgic context. A hologram or projection could have also accomplished this effect. The Phantom Menace actually got this stuff right when they used Darth Sidious in this way, but of course all of Palpatine's mystery was utterly destroyed and spoiled in the later films. And Leia... I mean WTF?

Echo the sentiments on the characterization, or lack thereof, noted by basically every critic of this movie. But the biggest disappointment for me is, forget the characters, Edwards took no time to let us really explore this world, its settings, and its environments. A lot of people have observed that the film could have spent more time developing its characters by spending time with them and giving us moments with them, but I would have even been happy with a movie that lacked characters but that still developed the world. I mean Blade Runner had great lead characters, but let's face it, one of the main characters in the film was the world, and Ridley Scott's camera was patient and curious. This is something that I think was even a bit missing from The Force Awakens, and in fact, no post-OT SW movie has ever come close to capturing this sense of world development the way the OT did (long journeys in Tatooine, organic environmental quirks imposing themselves on the characters, meandering subplots, seedy encounters with strange individuals, etc). I guess in the 70s you could get away with cinematic meandering and non-plot driven stage setting, characterization, and theme exposition, but 21st Century Hollywood apparently demands constant action and plotting.

The second big problem I had with this film was what a missed opportunity it was. The film tries to do some things different, but mostly plays it safe and doesn't try to veer too far off script. But it fails for exactly this reason. It's the very thing that makes it tonally confused and indecisive. My advice: Go big or go home. If you are going to try something different, then try something different. But I don't mean force it. Go where this kind of film and story naturally lends itself tonally and thematically. I've been waiting for a Star Wars movie to go full on noir for a while now (the Prequels would have been the right opportunity for this). This is one genre that hasn't been truly exploited yet. I get the war film angle here, but given that we all pretty much knew the fate of these characters going in, and especially given how it ends with the brilliant horror movie Vader climax, a film about dread, uncertainty, and despair would have suited the films miserabilist and sardonic tendencies. Just chuck all that hope business altogether. Leave that for the viewer. Embrace the ambiguity.

All that aside, given that I am such a slave to visual storytelling, I need to see this film again. I had a distracting audience, so I need to revisit with a more keen eye to some of the visual choices. I think there was a lot of thought and detail that went into the scale, framing, and visual composition of this film, and for a director who is more at home operating a camera than wielding a pen, I am interested to see what thematic and narrative mileage can be gleaned from this film on that side of things alone. But again, given the generic and tonal missteps, I suspect impressive individual set pieces and action sequences are nonetheless undermined by the overall visual design and thematic conception of the film.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    CGI Peter Cushing was insanely bad and I'd maybe argue unethical. How come Crispin Glover was able to sue Zemekis for using his likeness in Back to the Future but they're able to just reanimate a long dead actor for this?
    Man that's weird; I immediately thought of Crispin Glover too on the ride home from the theater. Peter Cushing would probably be ok with this, but the fact that his estate just green lit (presumably with help of some green backs) the resurrection of a guy who has been dead since 1994 doesn't sit well with me. I mean any one of these actors could (and have the absolute right to) pull a Glover and just tell the soul sucking corporation to go fuck themselves and say "I'm not a number, I'm a free man."

Other than Cushing and the (even worse) thud of DNR botoxed Leia, the movie was a mixed bag for me.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

What exactly doesn't sit well with you?

People flipping out of this baffles me.

The Crispin Glover thing is exactly what you think it is. Zemekis didn't get permission to use his likeness. Disney did. What else is there?

Actors are gonna have to start including these stipulations in their estates.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Actors are gonna have to start including these stipulations in their estates.
    If this becomes standard then it would be fun to see to what extent people cover their asses. "I, Denis Levant, agree to allow my likeness to be used in the event of a Holy Motors 2."

My only problem with it is that it just looks bad and I hate CGI characters. I also think it would have been more effective to give some mystery to Tarkin. And it seems like he's on the screen more than he was in ANH, but feels nowhere near as relevant and as present as he is in

I was taken back with how bad it looked too. Again, I dont understand why this is considering how good the other movies that have used this technology looked. Arnold both in Terminator Salvation and in Terminator 5, Michael Douglas in Ant-man. Hell, even the young RDJ looked really good. Did ILM just run out of time?

RDJ is a good example of this sort of thing done right. Must be a difference in how the tech is applied. Perhaps Cushing's already ghoulish face doesn't lend itself to the tech? I mean, those cheekbones are a character all by itself. Maybe it's the lighting that does it? RDJ just has a blank, unexpressive face in those 90 secs too.

Hell I dunno. They probably could have done a better job, which is sorta inexcusable if true.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

BTW, this reminds me of the boobies discussion in the Baywatch thread.

Why did no one complain about this with Tarkin's likeness in Revenge of the Sith? Is it because he has dialog in Rogue One? What's the difference?

- - - - -
    Wait, they gave Cushing CGI tits in Rogue One?

*runs out to see the movie immediately*

LOL.

Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    BTW, this reminds me of the boobies discussion in the Baywatch thread.

Why did no one complain about this with Tarkin's likeness in Revenge of the Sith? Is it because he has dialog in Rogue One? What's the difference?
    Tarkin has mere seconds in Sith, while he's a major part in Rogue.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast