Thread: The OA (Season 1)

The OA (Season 1)

Looks pretty much in the same vein as the movies she's written.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Looks like another sweet Netflix original to me!

- - - - -
    Every time this show is mentioned, I think of:

[]

Critics are not impressed. Apparently drags on and builds up to an unsatisfyingly dumb and "even offensive" reveal.

I thought it was interesting verging on terrific until the last episode.

And the last episode wasn't even terrible, it was just extremely rushed and hinged on a plot point that was... well, ill-considered to say the least.

But apart from all that, the things that the show does well it does extraordinarily well. I would really recommend it, with those caveats, for anyone interested in boundary-pushing television.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Phyllis Smith does work that I would call career best, but that sounds like faint praise given the fairly minor roles she's had.

Let's say she's a revelation.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I will say that the reception is very much consistent with that of her movies'. Critics usually praise the conception and ambition but bemoan the execution.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I was okay with (or at least patient with) the execution until the very last episode. Sometimes it comes across as boundary-pushing, but sometimes it feels self-indulgent. But I respect the ambition and talent on display.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Brit Marling is a treasure. I dug the hell out of this series. I've been a fan of her work for some time now, and this series was no different. Hell, this honestly may be my favorite original Netflix series I've seen yet. Everyone's losing their shit over Stranger Things, yet this series is what got me in a real big way. Love the execution and the way it explores all of its ideas throughout. This is precisely the sort of series that I just find absolutely inspiring.

Sure, the last episode left something to be desired, but with as much as was left unresolved, a second season is more than welcome.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Sure, the last episode left something to be desired, but with as much as was left unresolved, a second season is more than welcome.
    Co-signing this. I was surprised how happy I was about the renewal.
    ...and the milk's in me.