10 76.92%
  • Nay

3 23.08%

Thread: American Honey (Andrea Arnold)

American Honey (Andrea Arnold)

AMERICAN HONEY

Director: Andrea Arnold

imdb

Wanted to see this. Gone from theaters in one week though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Marginally liked it enough to make the grade, but it has a bloated running time for sure. I understand it is about making you feel "the experience", but you need a stronger storytelling hook to make it endurable.

Though any movie that can make Shia LaBeouf look cool for a minute there deserves a measure of respect.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 12-19-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Yayed this, but it's not close to the achievement of Red Road or Fish Tank for me. Star doesn't really react to enough to justify the weighty time we spend with these characters; in many cases, there's more interesting material going on the edge of the film--her hang-out and capitalist gain with the three old guys, for instance, or even the oil date in the evening--than with the chosen dramatic end. The Jake character never moves enough, either, to justify the mystery of attraction.

That said, the treatment of costumes and cinematography and attempt to humanize degraded youths' connection to hip hop is more valuable. Arnold remains an interesting filmmaker, but the more lackadaisical approach to script and form here keep this from fully cohering.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Liked it enough to vote yay, but it's borderline. I really liked Sasha Lane. She made the most blandest of scenes feel dynamic.

Unfortunately it does drag at times. Mainly the numerous scenes of riding around in the van listening to crappy music. The more I got to know these characters the more I disliked them.

This is terrible and way too fucking long. The script must have been three pages.

Potential for something masterful, but kind of wandered into mediocrity are repetition. Certainly like Andrea Arnold's direction, and disappointed that this took a few years to get to... The movie that does this right was Florida Project.

I feel like we never really get to know the youths in this like we should've.

Heck of a soundtrack though.

Oh, and no way anybody gets that excited to see Kansas City.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

65/100

Lives and dies on its protagonist; Star is characterized by immature girlishness, gullibility, compassion, and curiosity, and this mix is able to generate a compelling foreground for the travelogue playing out in the background. Arnold is curious too, always driven back to shots of the landscape zooming by in the window as a group of disparate young people are unquestioning thrust into the next environment, sparking off each other but willing to put in the work to maintain their fragile bond. Le Beouf is charismatic and brings a jolt of energy that is needed a lot of the time, but the film ends up spending far too much time with the soporific relationship drama that is not nearly as interesting as the economic tensions that bleed into everything.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64