• Nay

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacksaw Ridge (Mel Gibson)

Hacksaw Ridge (Mel Gibson)

HACKSAW RIDGE

Director: Mel Gibson

imdb

The stuff all leading up to him signing up for the army was sorta middling, but once we step foot on the battlefield, this suddenly becomes a pretty great movie.

Yeah, it's a goofy movie but it's well shot and pretty engrossing at times.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    All the typical war movie tropes are there, from the good ol' farmboy to the alcoholic father to the overbearing sergeant*, but once they get to the ridge, it's brutal, intense and suspenseful as all get out. Garfield is fantastic, as are the cinematography and editing.

*Speaking of which, there were people laughing in my screening of this at Vince Vaughn's insults (who even after this, I can't buy as a dramatic actor no matter how hard he tries), and that's why I pose this question: does anyone find this particular trope intentionally funny? I found it hysterical when I saw Full Metal Jacket as a teenager, but when I revisit it as an adult, I find myself wondering if I should. Ermey's Kubrick stare in that movie is unsettling now.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Producer
    Gibson has never been a subtle filmmaker, but the long absence from directing seems to make him moreeeee heavy-handed. First half is an almost excruciatingly chirpy, unintentional parody of an Oscarbait film, with occasional and somewhat fascinating bursts of gore to (thankfully) interrupt that extreme earnestness from time to time. The second half almost exactly inverts this ratio, and the director is much more at home with storytelling through violence (ironic for this particular real-life story). Very good, heartstoppingly intense stuff, if unfortunately piling on the melodrama side of that ratio right around the end, which also makes its moral and thematic stances feeling (even more) murky. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

First half could be trimmed by 20 minutes and you wouldn't lose the overall impact to the story. Second half was remarkable, but I question how much of it was exaggerated by Mel.

I still don't know what to think of Vince Vaughn's role in this. He was both the highlight of the film for me, but also felt completely out of place.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Really enjoyed this. Actually got emotional in some parts. I agree, the first half is a bit long-winded and I'm not sure why they dropped the brother story considering it was such an important aspect of how he became who he was. The war scenes were well shot- Hugo Weaving was a standout for me. Vince Vaughn seemed a bit of a miscast- and I don't even mean that from a typecast standpoint. I just think they could have got more out of a better actor. Every time I saw him holding a machine gun it felt out of place.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Solid as a typical underdog-makes-good tale and Garfield is excellent. However, for the first 20 minutes or so, I was wondering "Is this guy supposed to be mentally impaired?" because the "courting" scenes are ludicrous, with Garfield acting Forrest Gumpesque with that stupid grin and staring like a stalker. The film as a whole doesn't really know what to do with Doss' home life, and it comes across as a little impatient and unfocused (e.g., what happened to the brother? was the kid religious at all before the brick incident? Why have the struggle over the gun with his father as a random flashback?), as if the director just really, really wanted to get to the battlefield and fuck shit up. And boy does he. Of course, it wouldn't be a Gibson movie without ridiculously unnecessary scenes of violence - in this case, the death of the Japanese military commander, who we never see at any stage beforehand, but whose head Gibson apparently thought we really, really needed to see lopped off.

That it still works is a testament to Garfield and the natural interest in the story.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

STOP with the Drill Sergeant scenes please......

And STOP with pointless flash forwards to start off the movie.

Outside of that, I'm quite happy with the movie. It made me realize that there really aren't that many good battlefield movies from the 2000's. I came up with a list with my brother, and was surprised that in 17 years, it was a struggle to come up with ten.

MY TEN TOP WAR MOVIES SINCE 2000 (Must be battlefield war):
    1)Black Hawk Down
    2)Hurt Locker
    3)Lone Survivor
    4)Jarhead
    5)Hacksaw Ridge

Inglorious Basterds and The Pianist get asterisks here.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Garfield is excellent. However, for the first 20 minutes or so, I was wondering "Is this guy supposed to be mentally impaired?"
    Since he is not supposed to be mentally impaired, I don't understand.

Garfield has taken the leap into prestige films and is way over his head with both this and Silence. And while the second half of this movie is directed well from a strictly action-oriented point of view, there is an inherent moral disconnect between the anti-war themes and extended sequences of gruesome violence. The film is not without merit, but I pretty much hated it regardless.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Since he is not supposed to be mentally impaired, I don't understand.

Garfield has taken the leap into prestige films and is way over his head with both this and Silence. And while the second half of this movie is directed well from a strictly action-oriented point of view, there is an inherent moral disconnect between the anti-war themes and extended sequences of gruesome violence. The film is not without merit, but I pretty much hated it regardless.
    I get what trans is saying with the way he stares at people for extended times and his speech patterns. Overly, inexplicably weird.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

What I mean is how can he 1) be excellent and 2) portray a non-mentally impaired character as being mentally impaired?

Because I think he was directed to do it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

In that case, bravo.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

Outside of that, I'm quite happy with the movie. It made me realize that there really aren't that many good battlefield movies from the 2000's. I came up with a list with my brother, and was surprised that in 17 years, it was a struggle to come up with ten.

1)Black Hawk Down
    2)Hurt Locker
    3)Lone Survivor
    4)Jarhead
    5)Hacksaw Ridge

Inglorious Basterds and The Pianist get asterisks here.
    I'd include We Were Soldiers, personally.

We Were Soldiers is one of my most hated films ever.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

In regards to Garfield, the big question mark for me is how he was nominated for his performance in this movie, as opposed to his performance in Silence. 'Cause while he may have been good here, he was terrific in the latter.

He was bad in both. And he is the best Spider-Man yet.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    And he is the best Spider-Man yet.
    We agree on that much at least.

1)Black Hawk Down
    2)Hurt Locker
    3)Lone Survivor
    4)Jarhead
    5)Hacksaw Ridge
    Oof. Outside of Hacksaw Ridge, each one of those movies are in my bottom 100 of all time.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Oof. Outside of Hacksaw Ridge, each one of those movies are in my bottom 100 of all time.
    Not a fan of battlefield movies eh?

What are your tops?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Not a fan of battlefield movies eh?

What are your tops?
    I am. Those I just didn't feel were very good. This list can't be right though because there's a Malick film on it.

1. The Bridge On the River Kwai
    2. Full Metal Jacket
    3 The Great Escape
    4. Braveheart
    5. Inglourious Basterds*
    6. The Thin Red Line

I am. Those I just didn't feel were very good. This list can't be right though because there's a Malick film on it.

2. Full Metal Jacket
    3 The Great Escape
    4. Braveheart
    5. Inglourious Basterds*
    6. The Thin Red Line
    From the 2000s.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

2. Full Metal Jacket
    3 The Great Escape
    4. Braveheart
    5. Inglourious Basterds*
    6. The Thin Red Line
    From the 2000s.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ah. Missed that.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi would be #1 then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast