View Poll Results: Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

16 69.57%
  • Nay

7 30.43%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I watched THe Avengers and Age of Ultron again this weekend. I've still only seen Civil War once, but I've reordered the Avengers to be my number 1. It's too good. THe dialog is too good. THe interaction between characters is too good. It has the best villain. Best ensemble.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    My rankings

1. The Avengers
    2. Captain America: Civil War 9/10
    3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9/10
    4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9/10
    5. Doctor Strange 8/10
    6. Ant-Man 8/10
    7. Avengers: Age of Ultron 8/10
    8. Iron Man 7/10
    9. Iron Man 3 7/10
    10. Captain America: The First Avenger 7/10
    11. Thor 6/10
    12. Iron Man 2 5/10
    13. The Incredible Hulk 5/10
    14. Thor: The Dark World 4/10
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I cannot endorse this movie on the basis that it is an atypical Marvel movie. I was bored by this, bordering on mystical mumbo jumbo to imply depth and texture.

Thoroughly unimpressed by the visual effects (in 3-D). Not in the sense that they looked fake, but rather chaotic and unnecessary. The way the world shifts and contorts has been seen before, and I get this is a power that these folks are equipped with, but I fail to see its purpose within the movie as anything but a way to "see the cool shit that we can do with computers!!"

A bottom tier Marvel for me.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I cannot endorse this movie on the basis that it is an atypical Marvel movie. I was bored by this, bordering on mystical mumbo jumbo to imply depth and texture.

Thoroughly unimpressed by the visual effects (in 3-D). Not in the sense that they looked fake, but rather chaotic and unnecessary. The way the world shifts and contorts has been seen before, and I get this is a power that these folks are equipped with, but I fail to see its purpose within the movie as anything but a way to "see the cool shit that we can do with computers!!"

A bottom tier Marvel for me.
    Even though I was more positive on the film than you, I really don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. As it regards the visuals, I pretty much said that much on twitter yesterday, expressing how the visuals are underwhelming, and that the movie doesn't do a single thing that hasn't already been done in other films and mediums, and done significantly more effective at that. I should've felt chills watching the magic at work in this thing. Instead, I felt nothing.

And even as it regards the film being supposedly "trippy", as so many have described it, even that I call foul on. When I think of a movie that's trippy, I think of something closer to Black Swan. This movie, though, is honestly pretty much a straight forward romp throughout, and almost depressingly so at that.

This movie really isn't sitting well with me, 'cause it's almost that worst case scenario for a movie like this to be. It's not great, but it's not terrible, either. It's absolutely mediocre, it's just another Marvel movie that just happens to exist, and nothing more, nothing less. When really, given the premise and the possibilities for this movie, it could have and should have been so much more than it is.

Even though I was more positive on the film than you, I really don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying. As it regards the visuals, I pretty much said that much on twitter yesterday, expressing how the visuals are underwhelming, and that the movie doesn't do a single thing that hasn't already been done in other films and mediums, and done significantly more effective at that. I should've felt chills watching the magic at work in this thing. Instead, I felt nothing.

And even as it regards the film being supposedly "trippy", as so many have described it, even that I call foul on. When I think of a movie that's trippy, I think of something closer to Black Swan. This movie, though, is honestly pretty much a straight forward romp throughout, and almost depressingly so at that.

This movie really isn't sitting well with me, 'cause it's almost that worst case scenario for a movie like this to be. It's not great, but it's not terrible, either. It's absolutely mediocre, it's just another Marvel movie that just happens to exist, and nothing more, nothing less. When really, given the premise and the possibilities for this movie, it could have and should have been so much more than it is.
    I'm not at all versed in the character of Doctor Strange, but what about the "premise and possibilities for this movie meant it could have and should have been so much more?"

Yes, a lot of movies can be better than they ultimately are, but I'm not sold on this character and the powers he's apparently mastered or the idea that when you're broken beyond repair you can go to some sanctuary in Nepal, speak to a bald lady, read some books and start doing magic tricks. Doctor Strange is not a wizard, he's a highly skilled and eerily talented doctor. It felt like a step too many. Iron Man flies because of the suit, Spiderman clings to walls because he's bitten by a spider, Steve Rogers is super powerful because he's injected with a serum etc... All fanciful, out there for sure, but still somewhat possible to buy thanks to (albeit tenuous) links to real world developments. Now, unless your Strange movie is literally set in a wizarding world, it is hard for me to swallow his development as a character.

Reversing time to undo bad calls is the worst power-up in the history of supermovies.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

The more I think about this movie, the more great stuff comes to mind.

Hard to imagine it took 14 Marvel movies for someone to use time travel- considering how often it happens in the comics. I'm wondering if Marvel would use this to say: [
    ]

It also makes me wonder how the sequel will setup other characters- could Mordo start hunting other sorcerers? Is Scarlet Witch a sorcerers? Death of Thor?

Finally, this next Thor movie- it's starting to look a lot like a defenders movie to me.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Defenders_members

Coincidence????? Founding member Doctor Strange? Check. Hulk? Check. Valkyrie? Check. Thor? Well he's not part of the Defenders but could they be substituting for someone they don't have rights to? Maybe Silver Surfer? Then of course that leaves one major reveal.... Namor... who I predicted a few months ago would have his own movie in Phase 4.

Thoughts>???

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's been two years since I've seen a Marvel movie. The last one being Guardians of the Galaxy, which may be the best of the comic book "origin" movies since it has a nice balance of establishing everyone, and having a good story as well.

What the movie does do, is establish Dr. Strange pretty well. In all my years of comics, I never really came across him, and figured he was a fantasy magician villain. Didn't like the look or the cape, so I was weary of seeing this, but the special effects looked pretty damn neat. I'd like to know more about this world and the different laws of the books. Cumberbatch, Ejiofor, and Swinton make possibly the best "acted" Marvel movie to date.

As far as the story, well it's territory that's certainly been done before. Good guys versus bad guys. Bad guys are threatening the world. New hero will be able to stop it all. Luckily, I like the jumps between dimensions and the fighting techniques matched with special effects.

It's fine. I didn't stay for the end credits scenes. I'll probably see Guardians of the Galaxy. But when the heck is Thanos coming?

By the way, I swore that was Thanos the entire time in the final sequence. Whoops.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    By the way, I swore that was Thanos the entire time in the final sequence. Whoops.
    This is hilarious considering he said Dormammu's name about 20 times.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    This is hilarious considering he said Dormammu's name about 20 times.
    Certainly is. I never, ever heard of Dormammu in my life before this movie, so I figured it was some dimensional name change. Whoops.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Mikkelsen's character is kind of a dull plot advancer rather than actually having an inner life of its own, or even an interesting relationship with Strange. He just turns up when the plot needs him too and then is gone.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Oh and I don't know how intentional this is, but it's hilarious that the climactic fight in this movie is [
    ]
    http://www.empireonline.com/movies/f...tt-derrickson/

Check #4.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I can totally see why Derrickson wanted Nightmare. Would have made Marvel's first outright horror movie. They've already set up Mordo, but I'd love for the sequel to be just that.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Certainly is. I never, ever heard of Dormammu in my life before this movie, so I figured it was some dimensional name change. Whoops.
    Dormammu is a super cool extra-dimensional immortal. He can technically teleport between dimensions but the way they used him in the MCU was just existing in the dark dimension. It was a start to see the power he can harness and I hope they bring him back.

Holy shit at #10.

They was a rumored Runaways spin-off in the works a few months ago....

I will preface this by saying that I did not exactly see this movie under the best circumstances. I hadn't planned on seeing it, but my family wanted to do something to get our minds off the election. Before the movie started, I knew that things were not going well and so I watched the film in a state of anxiety.

That said, I thought this was really, really dopey. It starts out with my least favorite cliche, which is the 'arrogant man of science' being scolded and humiliated for not believing in unseen forces that you just have to have faith in and feel. From there on out, it's basically a movie about which side can wiggle their hands the best. Wiggling hands that change the world any way you want. Oh, but it's not that easy! You have to like, really think and stuff! Once you have the wiggling hands down, you need a magic cape that thinks for you. Because you'll be too busy REALLY THINKING, so that you can wiggle your hands.

Talk about a film with no stakes. Everything is subject to manipulation and reversal. There is no sense of what values or ideals anyone is fighting for. This is what passes for philosophy in modern mainstream cinema. It's like sitting down with a 12-year-old for 2 hours and having them explain to you how the world works. The cast makes it bearable in places, but boy, Marvel is not making a positive contribution to humanity.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I will preface this by saying that I did not exactly see this movie under the best circumstances. I hadn't planned on seeing it, but my family wanted to do something to get our minds off the election. Before the movie started, I knew that things were not going well and so I watched the film in a state of anxiety.

That said, I thought this was really, really dopey. It starts out with my least favorite cliche, which is the 'arrogant man of science' being scolded and humiliated for not believing in unseen forces that you just have to have faith in and feel. From there on out, it's basically a movie about which side can wiggle their hands the best. Wiggling hands that change the world any way you want. Oh, but it's not that easy! You have to like, really think and stuff! Once you have the wiggling hands down, you need a magic cape that thinks for you. Because you'll be too busy REALLY THINKING, so that you can wiggle your hands.

Talk about a film with no stakes. Everything is subject to manipulation and reversal. There is no sense of what values or ideals anyone is fighting for. This is what passes for philosophy in modern mainstream cinema. It's like sitting down with a 12-year-old for 2 hours and having them explain to you how the world works. The cast makes it bearable in places, but boy, Marvel is not making a positive contribution to humanity.
    I approve of this message.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    There is no sense of what values or ideals anyone is fighting for. This is what passes for philosophy in modern mainstream cinema.
    The overall philosophy I got from the film was, Strange needs to realize he's not that special, except for all the times he totally is.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    The overall philosophy I got from the film was, Strange needs to realize he's not that special, except for all the times he totally is.
    I dont think that's the message at all. When was this suggested?

Mordo and the Ancient One both said that he's so fast at learning to be a sorcerer because he's naturally sensitive to magic, like he was born for it.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I dont think that's the message at all. When was this suggested?
    Let me amend: Dr. Strange needs to stop being arrogant, but everything in the film suggests his arrogance is more than justified, the quick-study eye-wielding cape-wearing sorcerer-defeating god-outwitting magickal neophyte. The director's stated that the events of the film take place over about a year (including his car carsh and sadness beard), which is actually sort of insane when you think about the decades and centuries other people at the Misty Mountain Hop have spent developing their powers.

Comic books have a long history of rich arrogant white men going to mystical eastern places and being the best there is at everything.

Can't wait for Iron Fist though!
    Movie Theater Diary

Comic books have a long history of rich arrogant white men going to mystical eastern places and being the best there is at everything.

Can't wait for Iron Fist though!
    Is it true that Dr. Strange and Batman's journeys to the mystic Orient were both inspired by the Shadow, or was there more going on there? [I figure part of it is just post-turn-of-century thinking; Batman was coming out around the same time Maugham wrote The Razor's Edge.]

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Is it true that Dr. Strange and Batman's journeys to the mystic Orient were both inspired by the Shadow, or was there more going on there? [I figure part of it is just post-turn-of-century thinking; Batman was coming out around the same time Maugham wrote The Razor's Edge.]
    You'll be surprised to know that the idea of Bruce Wayne traveling the world to acquire his skills is a bit of revisionism that wasn't introduced until the '80s, thanks to people like Frank Miller and Denny O'Neill. Before that, dude just went to the gym a lot.

The Shadow is certainly one of the firsts to introduce the idea of a western man getting his superpower from Asia, but I dunno, I'd say Dr. Strange and Iron Fist were more inspired by the interest in Eastern new age and martial arts that boomed in the US in the late 60s rather than the more sinister outlook of the East that was prevalent in the pulps (The Shadow's powers were meant to make him creepy and monstrous).
    Movie Theater Diary

Actually, I forgot about the pulp character that is most likely Stan Lee's main inspiration for Strange:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandu...agician_(film)
    Movie Theater Diary

I think this has to be the best Marvel film so far, or sharing the podium with Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier. I might be wrong, though, because I think part of what happened here is that I'm really not as familiar with Strange as I am with the rest of the Marvel Universe and so I found the particulars (the Cloak of Levitation, the Eye of Agamotto, the sidekicks) a lot more fresh. The storyline is cliché, sure. But the character and the actor playing it have enough charisma to overcome that.

And the action/fantasy sequences are simply incredible. The Dormammu showdown at the end is very inspired. I saw it on 2D but I might be willing to make a second trip to the movies just to experience all those flashy images on another level.

EDIT: Also, I'm much more excited for Dr. Strange sequels than for the future of the Avengers storyline at large. I really don't care for the Infinity Gauntlet at the moment.

This was pretty much everything I wanted in a Doctor Strange movie. Another solid origin film from Marvel. Only hope is they don't drop the ball with a sequel, Captain America aside, I feel like thats another Marvel habit imo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast