View Poll Results: Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

16 69.57%
  • Nay

7 30.43%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Strange (Scott Derrickson)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    This was pretty much everything I wanted in a Doctor Strange movie. Another solid origin film from Marvel. Only hope is they don't drop the ball with a sequel, Captain America aside, I feel like thats another Marvel habit imo.
    Wow. That's funny to think of actually. We have only had three sequels to stand alone movies and two of them were terrible. GotG2 will be the first sequel to a solo movie since 2014 (Winter Solider).
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

If I could change my yay to a nay, I would. This has not sat well with me at all.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Wow. That's funny to think of actually. We have only had three sequels to stand alone movies and two of them were terrible. GotG2 will be the first sequel to a solo movie since 2014 (Winter Solider).
    Its literally my ONLY hesitation about GOTG2. I adore that first film so damn much...

Also, Doctor Strange deserves Oscars for its special effects. Amazing, beautiful, and most importantly, seamless.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I know Ultron isn't quite the same, but if you take it more as a direct sequel to Avengers, it lines up nicely with the disappointment factor.

I was most disappointed with Avengers 2 of the sequels.

Disappointment is one thing, but it's still in the top 5 MCU movies for me. The dialog stands above all others and that's the Wheedon factor at work.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hey I wouldn't give any of the sequels negative scores. Well maybe Avengers 2. I need to rewatch and reevaluate.

Iron Man 2 is not only the worst sequel, it's still the worst movie in the MCU yet.

Iron Man 2 is not only the worst sequel, it's still the worst movie in the MCU yet.
    It has the worst script, the worst exposition and the worst villain... but it still has RDJ, which is why The Dark World is the worst MCU movie.

It has the worst script, the worst exposition and the worst villain... but it still has RDJ, which is why The Dark World is the worst MCU movie.
    But The Dark World has Tom Hiddleston, which bumps it up above Iron Man 2.

But The Dark World has Tom Hiddleston, which bumps it up above Iron Man 2.
    I can't even remember what the Dark Elves wanted in Thor 2. That's a huge problem if it's not the worst in the MCU, Hilldeston or not. I'm willing to bet most people on MC can't remember either.

Red infinity mist....stone.

Edit: But to be honest, I just rewatched it a couple weeks ago because I couldn't remember what it was about.
    Last edited by Skitch; 02-12-2017 at 07:04 PM.

They wanted the Aether to do what?

They wanted the Aether to do what?
    Kill worlds. Angry revengy something. The reasons were mostly moot because the bad guys spend most of the movie chasing the weapon, and by the time they get it, you forget why they want to use it. I would say the the Thor/Loki stuff is very strong, and Stellan Skarsgard is the real thief of the flick. It needed to focus more on the villain, or use Dark Elves less in favor of full Loki threat again. The ending is interesting too, because it potentially leaves the Thor series with an extremely dark cliffhanger. Interested to see where it goes next.

Edit: its sounds like like I really like Thor 2. Its still quite broken.

*clears throat*

Iron Man 3 is the best movie Tony Stark has appeared in.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Also, Doctor Strange deserves Oscars for its special effects. Amazing, beautiful, and most importantly, seamless.
    Totally failing to see this bud. I'm trying to think what pluses its FX had. Amazing? I thought they were ordinary, had a big "seen-it-all-before" factor. Beautiful? Doesn't feel like the right word.
    Seamless? Perhaps, but I'm not sure that equates with pushing the envelope. But I guess it depends on the competition. Rogue One is more Star Wars and thus hardly original while its CGI characters weren't exactly seamless. DeepWater Horizon's FX I've heard good things about, perhaps that's tougher, to render something which actually happened with authenticity. The Jungle Book really blew me away. Talking animals have been done before too, but here it felt particularly profound and given the fact they were front and center....seamless.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I did come around on IM3 a bit after a rewatch, but I still think IM1 is the best.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Totally failing to see this bud. I'm trying to think what pluses its FX had. Amazing? I thought they were ordinary, had a big "seen-it-all-before" factor. Beautiful? Doesn't feel like the right word.
    Seamless? Perhaps, but I'm not sure that equates with pushing the envelope. But I guess it depends on the competition. Rogue One is more Star Wars and thus hardly original while its CGI characters weren't exactly seamless. DeepWater Horizon's FX I've heard good things about, perhaps that's tougher, to render something which actually happened with authenticity. The Jungle Book really blew me away. Talking animals have been done before too, but here it felt particularly profound and given the fact they were front and center....seamless.
    You've named a couple flicks I haven't seen yet. Fair enough. I was just very nearly blown away by the FX. All that spinning around Inception city bending shit looked goofy in the trailer, but hot damn did it work for me in the flick. I just came off of X-Men Apocalypse where it was obnoxiously fake that our stars were sitting on a green screen pretending to be a cliff overlooking a city. Here theyre bending an entire city and and I cant tell where the green stage begins or ends. My disbelief was suspended for the runtime. I entered that theater and suffered no distractions. Whisked away. That happens so infrequently, perhaps I'm jaded.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    *clears throat*

Iron Man 3 is the best movie Tony Stark has appeared in.
    So that means you're rankings look like

1. GotG
    2. IM3

Interesting...

Close. GOTG, Winter Soldier, then IM3.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I have Winter Solider at #2 too. But I can't get past the dialog in both Avengers films. GotG sits at #5.

https://letterboxd.com/dukefrukem/li...st-mcu-movies/

Iron Man 3 is the best Iron Man movie, but Civil War has the best RDJ performance.

Producer
    Iron Man 3 is the best Iron Man movie, but Civil War has the best RDJ performance.
    Yeah, this.

Also my weird opinion is that Thor is the best origin story for a single superhero (I framed it like that because Guardians is technically one, but just doesn't feel like it to me). Such a flawed, goofy, grandiose film that I'm really fond for.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Also my weird opinion is that Thor is the best origin story for a single superhero (I framed it like that because Guardians is technically one, but just doesn't feel like it to me). Such a flawed, goofy, grandiose film that I'm really fond for.
    Totally co-sign this. It might even be the MCU movie I've seen the most, which would be a fact just from my own initiated viewings, but also because people I know seem to just put it on randomly too.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I did come around on IM3 a bit after a rewatch, but I still think IM1 is the best.

You've named a couple flicks I haven't seen yet. Fair enough. I was just very nearly blown away by the FX. All that spinning around Inception city bending shit looked goofy in the trailer, but hot damn did it work for me in the flick. I just came off of X-Men Apocalypse where it was obnoxiously fake that our stars were sitting on a green screen pretending to be a cliff overlooking a city. Here theyre bending an entire city and and I cant tell where the green stage begins or ends. My disbelief was suspended for the runtime. I entered that theater and suffered no distractions. Whisked away. That happens so infrequently, perhaps I'm jaded.
    No prob. The FX in Strange did their job and I found no anomalies. They looked polished and sometimes cool.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]