View Poll Results: Ouija: Origin of Evil

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: Ouija: Origin of Evil (Mike Flanagan)

Ouija: Origin of Evil (Mike Flanagan)

OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL

Director: Mike Flanagan

imdb

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL

Director: Mike Flanagan

imdb
    This looks so bad.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    This looks so bad.
    It's so not, though. This is yet another really big win for Mike Flanagan, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite horror directors.

In fact, I've seen the confused reaction at the high praise for this from a lot of people, most notably a lot of knowledgeable film buffs. And all I can think is, had they marketed this movie as "from the director of Oculus", so much of that confusion would've been taken care of.

Its definitely got its flaws but its fun. I enjoyed the scares, even the acting too.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    It's so not, though. This is yet another really big win for Mike Flanagan, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite horror directors.
    Same here.

If i Hadn't seen Hush, I wouldn't have paid any attention to this. But because of Flanagan, I'm interested.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Same here.

If i Hadn't seen Hush, I wouldn't have paid any attention to this. But because of Flanagan, I'm interested.
    Exactly. If he hadn't directed this, I would've easily skipped it, like I did the first one.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Mild Yay.

There's some pretty great horror imagery here. But not much of a premise. Lots of scenes leaning on jump scares. I enjoyed the "twist" on the Ouija board.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Shockingly good, and surprising to see this intensity in a PG-13 horror film. Good performances all around, although my personal favorite was watching Henry Thomas run a goddamn symposium on stout-hearted exposition deliverer. Some of the herky-jerky big-mouthed ghosties play as regrettable franchise links to the prior Ouija film, which remains one of my least favorite horror films of recent years. And though the climax mostly avoids histrionics, it still wades into familiar waters - a "take that" to horror movie splitting up becomes pointless when they still do it 5 minutes later.

Funnily, my favorite bits were purely texture, like the cigarette burns, the opening Universal logo, and the endearing title card (I was hoping for classic credit cards too, but oh well). That isn't to insult the film - I was just delighted by that brazen throwbackiness. We all know those are lies, but Flanagan went for it anyway.

Good stuff. Glad I finally checked this out. Next up, the other well-received studio prequel to a successful piece of shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer
    Haven't watched either original, but of the two well-received prequels, Annabelle: Creation is lesser, but still some competent, old-schooled charm to be had.

Also haven't realized I didn't post anything here. What I wrote back then:

All its extremely old parts are so well invigorated through sincerity; Mike Flanagan makes it a true throwback, crafting the film gorgeously and seriously as if he was the first one to take on this type of story. Just a tale well told with a cast that invests gravitas in these old tropes. In fact, the real misstep comes in the third act, where its nature feels so much more modern horror in a bad way that it clashes with what comes before. This needs to commit more to its classicalness all the way through; The Conjuring series, for their faults (although I love them), manage to nail their endings much more by sticking true to their established build-ups.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5