View Poll Results: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 40.00%
  • Nay

3 60.00%

Thread: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Tim Burton)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Tim Burton)

MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN

Director: Tim Burton

imdb

Like Tim Burton's career itself, this movie is very hit or miss all throughout. About half of this movie is really bad, particularly all of the stuff in the "normal" world. Anytime they're there, the acting takes a significant dip, most notably Asa Butterfield, who is usually great, but gives his absolute worst performance in a movie yet, but only during those scenes specifically. And then there's just awkward exchanges in these sections, and the dad character is just about the worst dad ever. Like, I literally dropped my jaw at the shit he was doing, paying off complete strangers to watch his kid and the like. It was just bafflingly unbelievable.

However, whenever the enter the "time loop world", where the peculiar children portion of the title comes into play, it's like watching an entirely different movie. For instance, suddenly Asa Butterfield remembers he actually can act, but everyone else also gives really solid performances. And the characterization and world building is all genuinely intriguing, and the central conflict provides for some really entertaining moments all throughout. Quite frankly, this is the best X-Men movie of the year by a pretty significant margin, lol. Though some of the rules as to how this world actually works does get a bit confusing at times, but I was able to sorta just roll with it and see where the movie took me.

So yeah, one of the most extreme examples of a mixed bag movie I can recall. Half of this movie is pure fucking garbage, but the other half is honestly not too far off from top notch Burton. I dunno what went so wrong that he couldn't pull this whole thing together, but for what it is, I would say it's overall worth checking out at least.

If I hadn't known beforehand, I doubt I could have identified this as a Burton film. It is okay overall, and the monsters are effectively creepy (and their mission appropriately nasty to give the film a much needed edge), but the ending is just CGI overkill, and Jackson's overall plan is explained in a massive info dump and it never really makes sense. (Nor does the time travel thing at the end - [
    ].)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    the dad character is just about the worst dad ever. Like, I literally dropped my jaw at the shit he was doing, paying off complete strangers to watch his kid and the like. It was just bafflingly unbelievable.
    I think this was played deliberately for laughs, specially with the actor being the guy from IT Crowd.

But I agree with your overall comments. This is a very bad movie which contains some fun as hell moments where it plays like Tim Burton's take on X-Men. The final skeleton/Hollows battle and the invisible guy jokes are amongst the few things that give soul to a bland Hollywood experience that could have been made by any director.

By the way, has anyone else noticed how Edge of Tomorrow gave everyone else the idea of doing Groundhog Day for every genre? There's this (I know it's based on a book, but still) and I hear Happy Death Day has a similar premise.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    By the way, has anyone else noticed how Edge of Tomorrow gave everyone else the idea of doing Groundhog Day for every genre? There's this (I know it's based on a book, but still) and I hear Happy Death Day has a similar premise.
    There was also a YA movie that came out last year with the same "groundhog day" gimmick, too.