Thread: Is anybody watching Channel Zero? Creepypasta from SyFy

- - - - -

Is anybody watching Channel Zero? Creepypasta from SyFy

Limited series. Anthology. First half-season started last week and will run for 6 episodes.

It's like weird Stephen King town meets that Paradise Lost documentary meets kid-friendly Videodrome.

cc: Duke, Skitch, Scar, Ezee. I think this might be up your alley.

I'll have to look it up. Haven't watched the Syfy channel in years. It may have even been called the Sci-Fi channel.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I checked out the first episode. I think it's a huge mistake to make one creepypasta a season long. It should've been more Black Mirror than American Horror Story. I'm pretty well acquainted with the Candle Cove creepypasta, and when I heard that they're stretching that into six hours, I was skeptical. And I think I'm right, because even the pilot already feels like a lot of King-lite filler. This thing had some creepy visuals but zero momentum.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    I sorta agree, sorta don't. I dunno how you can happily nod toward "table setting" in other premieres and then complain this has no forward momentum. I mean, the guy shows up in town and weird shit happens (again).

I'm gonna do what people usually advise me to do: Give it a few episodes before I come down one way or the other. What I've seen so far, I've liked.

Two details:

- The images in this are genuinely creepy. Most TV horror doesn't go far enough to disturb their audiences, because they're too afraid of losing them week over week. The only shows I've seen that were actually freaky were this, Salem, and maybe The Exorcist.

- The way the show develops a few of its ideas is more organic than most. They don't spit out this guy's backstory all at once, and then tease out the details about what's going on in the present.

I don't think the 6 hours will be a problem if they have a story to tell. 10 or 13, then maybe. But 6 allows you a couple of arcs and doesn't allow for much filler.

I'm not familiar with the original creepypasta this is based on (which I think puts me at an advantage). If this show has an Achilles heel, it'll be that it tries to cram in too much random detail from the source material.