Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luke Cage (Season 1)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I've read Outliers. Written by the same guy who wrote Tipping Point. I'ts huge in the business world. Both are good reads.
    Thanks! I think I'll just read every book on the series. I like using cultural references as reading guides.

It seems we are all in agreement here about the quality of the two main villains and how the season loses steam completely once it drops the good one.

By the way, the actor who plays Shades is great but his facial gestures kept reminding me of Argentinian actor Rodrigo De la Serna so much that at one point I wish they'd just cast him.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9190 mediante Tapatalk

Speaking of the books in this show, this is a cool interview: http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/walte...-is-black.html
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Gotta admit, this is a great viewpoint on the character:

The first black superhero is Spider-Man. He lives in a one-parent house — it's not even a parent, it's an aunt. He has all of this power, but every time he uses it, it turns against him. People are afraid of him; the police are after him. The only way he can get a job is by taking pictures of himself that are used against him in public. [Newspaper chief] J. Jonah Jameson says [to Spider-Man’s alter ego, Peter Parker], “Go out and take a picture that shows him with his hand in the cookie jar, that shows him stealing and being a villain.” That's a black hero right there. Of course, he's actually a white guy. But black people reading Spider-Man are like, Yeah, I get that. I identify with this character here.

There's been a lot written about that. One other thing I've read someone else point out is that back in the 60s, he was the only hero whose costume did not show any skin at all. Unlike Captain America and Batman and any of the X-Men, you actually can't tell what ethnicity he is under that full body suit, so when people in the Marvel universe see him, if they want to see him as a criminal, they can very easily suspect that it's a black guy under there. And conversely as a hero you can see him as the first rejection of the white savior in that same way.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    That entire interview is gold, from the stuff about Cage to blaxploitation to his own books.

So Irish, I finally got around to cleaning up my post a bit and expanding on my thoughts in my new blog. http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2016/10/luke-cage.html

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    So Irish, I finally got around to cleaning up my post a bit and expanding on my thoughts in my new blog. http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2016/10/luke-cage.html
    Very cool, TGM!

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Gotta admit, this is a great viewpoint on the character:
    Oh man. I'd somehow never come across that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12