Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Punisher (Season 1)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Punisher (Season 1)

Let's hope we get a better Frank than what we got in Daredevil S2.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Could Punisher be the hardest character to adapt to screen?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Galactus says no.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Galactus says no.
    True. That costume will never film well.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Premiering in November

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Could Punisher be the hardest character to adapt to screen?
    punisher war zone rules

also his character was one of the better things about s2 of daredevil (at least i thought so)

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    punisher war zone rules
    Hell yes it does.

War zone the comic does rule. The movie is shit.

Add my name to the shortlist of those who also (mostly) dug Punisher War Zone.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I love the movie.

Okay then.

That costume is kinda bad. Looks like a sweater from H&M's Metal Fashion line.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Trailer is good though.

Heh, they really overdid it with Castle playing the guitar sadly. That's just completely out of character.

What does Netflix have up their sleeve by not announcing the release date when we are less than two months away? (supposedly)

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Heh, they really overdid it with Castle playing the guitar sadly. That's just completely out of character.
    Really? I assumed those parts were pre-family killed, so didn't seem unusual.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Really? I assumed those parts were pre-family killed, so didn't seem unusual.
    It might be that my version of the character is the one written by Garth Ennis where he was already a super-focused killing machine before they slaughtered his family, during his Vietnam tours - he even got a taste of violence during his childhood on the flashback series The Tyger. The thought of that Frank Castle being somewhat musically inclined is just goofy to me.

Sure, that makes sense. I don't really know Punisher books extensively, just the general origin.

Have we discussed before on MC that Punisher isn't a hero? I feel we've had that argument at some point in time.

Delayed due to the Vegas incident. Release date was likely to be announced during NYCC.

Didn't stop them from announcing this today, though:

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

November 17

The Punisher is riveting, politically adventurous entertainment, willing to get mired in the complexity of a nation that has come to define itself through the incalculable damage and untold amounts of killings done in the name of peace. When the need to set-up, reiterate, or preempt the plot becomes its more prominent concern, however, it’s emblematic of everything wrong with comic-book adaptations, on TV or elsewhere.

SOURCE: Collider

Netflix released all 13 episodes to critics, and despite strong performances from Bernthal, Walcott and Moss-Bachrach (Micro), it was a slog to reach the end. I found myself thinking back to Person of Interest, which did a better job with similar material. Its main characters were an ex-CIA vigilante and his hacker partner, battling shadowy enemies in the military-industrial complex. Even in the framework of a formulaic CBS crime show, it was more satisfying than Marvel’s attempt at serious long-form drama.

SOURCE: The Daily Dot

The Punisher is the show Marvel Television needed. It’s the show that proves there might just be hope yet for the studio’s small screen ambitions. And yes, if we’re judging purely on the act of transforming into a character, Bernthal absolutely deserves an Emmy nomination for this one. His performance has been far elevated from the days of Daredevil.

SOURCE: Forbes

For a show which seemed, given the timing of its launch, to be so controversial, its most controversial element is its lack of controversy. Frank Castle does some bad things, but nothing as bad as what happens in America on a regular basis. As a narrative about veterans trying to find their place in the world, “The Punisher” has something to say. But it could have been so much shorter, and its placement in the Marvel universe feels tangential at best.

SOURCE: Indie Wire

The Punisher’s first episode is sleepy and repetitive; nothing in it is anything we didn’t see in the second season of Daredevil. Along those same lines, The fifth and sixth episodes already drag more than the others, an indication of the usual mid-season Netflix slump. But at least Punisher’s repetitive beginning is part of the first narratively necessary step in the show’s plot: moving the goalpost on Frank’s revenge.

SOURCE: Polygon

It’s a conundrum: The Punisher is most effective when its title character is indiscriminately slaughtering his foes, but that’s also when it most consistently evokes the kinds of real-life horrors that pushed the premiere back once, and could have kept pushing it back indefinitely. There may hopefully be a time when Frank’s actions don’t instantly recall horrors from our world, but that version of his story will still need to be told much more compellingly than this.

SOURCE: Uproxx

I almost want to declare the existence of this “Punisher” show a miracle. I don’t know, really, what I was expecting from it, because from the moment it was announced it didn’t really feel like it fit with the other Marvel shows on Netflix. And aside from a few appearances by Karen Page (Deborah Ann Woll) and a couple cameos by very minor characters from other shows, it really does just go its own way. And thank the Lord for that, because I like watching legitimately good TV shows. And “The Punisher,” somehow, is legitimately good.

SOURCE: The Wrap

In all, “The Punisher” is not just satisfying but surprising — an interpretation of Netflix and Marvel’s tried-and-true partnership that offers more depth and challenges to the audience than even the gritty world of “Marvel’s Jessica Jones.” Free from superpowers and superheroes, the Marvel universe is more forgiving — and more interesting. Of course, the slightly cartoony Marvel Cinematic Universe is still a world where people named Carson Wolf show up and act as if they are not obviously villains. But “The Punisher’s” place in it is a welcome morass of thorny questions and unresolvable answers. At least in this part of the television landscape, there is room for another antihero.

SOURCE: Variety

Marvel’s The Punisher did an excellent job reintroducing us to an iconic character, with the help of a brilliant performance from Jon Bernthal. While some of the supporting cast members are less memorable, there is still plenty of time for more character development down the road.

SOURCE: IGN

At the end of the day, for hardcore fans of the character, The Punisher is bound to offer a better experience than the three failed big screen adaptations. But those looking for more escapism in their superhero storytelling might be better off revisiting the other equally dark but less dour Marvel/Netflix shows.

SOURCE: We Got This Covered

Frank begins the 13-episode run alone and assuming a new identity; but it’s when he starts to open up that the man behind the scope begins to emerge. The show may not be to everyone’s tastes – fans may expect something more visceral, despite the fair amount of gore - I just sincerely hope people are patient with it and let the show develop, despite its odd missteps. It’s left me wanting more of The Punisher before even any of The Defenders return – and I’m eager to see what Frank does next.

SOURCE: Total Film

I didn't like this very much.
    Movie Theater Diary

Also this might be the first Marvel show to completely disregard MCU events.

It's a show specifically about spies and espionage but pretends like SHIELD doesn't exist. Even the other Netflix shows dropped references to "the incident," but the characters talk and act like the biggest thing to have happened in NYC was 9/11. If they didn't shoehorn Karen Page in it for an episode, I might have thought that this is supposed to be a standalone series.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast