Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duke and Bac0n Whine About Work

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Duke and Bac0n Whine About Work

So Bacon and I work for the same company now.. you may have heard of it? Dell Technologies?

Actually I think I work for Dell Technologies and he works for Dell. My company EMC, recently merged with Dell to form Dell Technologies. So we kind of operate on our own at the moment, we have a portfolio of products that Dell wants.

If you're not familiar with EMC, we make the products that Bruce Wayne hacks into.

Or the the product that Tony Stark uses to make Ulton.

Anyway, we had our "Day 1 celebration" yesterday and it was three hours of gibbering, over excited, employees with not enough work to do, using adjectives like:

“Go Big Win Big” = 35
    “Big” 16
    “Awesome” = 10
    Insane = 1
    Fantastic =1
    Incredible = 4
    Ton = 2
    Phenomenal = 3
    Tremendous = 2
    Historic = 7

I stopped counting after the first hour but you get the idea.

Bacon and I are on the same internal chat messenger and were just talking about how lame the marketing was yesterday. I really wish I could upload the video from yesterday and have MC commentary on it. They hired a bunch of skydivers to jump out of a plane holding a banner that says "Dell Technologies". Just cringe worthy stuff.

I've never seen such an expensive spectacle... 7 days after announcing 3000 layoffs no less.

Today we have our "company outting"- that's two days in a row where REAL work gets interrupted by things no one wants to go to in the first place.

If I sound annoyed, I am. I have to GTD.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

And funny, my name wasn't even mentioned once. Talk about a lack of gratitude!

On the plus side, however, I didn't once hear the word "courage". I did here the word "pizza", but that was from the engineers outside fighting each other for a spot in the line to the pizza truck. It almost came to blows in front of the Mountain Dew truck.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Lord am I glad I'm out of that corporate type setup. I'm the guy who loses his mind and starts walking off into the distance, slowly stripping my clothes off, and vanishes into the weeds behind a Starbucks.

I've been 100% field based for Ecolab for seven years. If I had to work in the towers, I might go insane.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK.

Seven states for Nordstrom. At the Minneapolis Airport now. I get one or two office days a week. I don't see how one can do five of those.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Well, let's get down to the important business:

Can either one of you get everybody here employee discounts on Dell monitors?

I gotta say, Dell actually has been pretty good to me. I work out of my home all days except Wednesday, they're cool with me volunteering at my kids' school, in fact we're required to put in 15 volunteer hours per year, and the hours are pretty flexible, which makes it much less brutal when you need to get kids to different schools in the morning. The HQ is based just north of Austin TX, which is a great town. I'm heading down there next week, even.

Oh, wait, this is about whining. Uh. The coffee in the Eden Prairie office SUCKS, man. SUUUUUCKS!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Dell wants 50% of it's workforce to work from home by 2020.

Sorry Dell, but that's not how innovation works. There's a reeason you're co-located with your design teams.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Nice, bacon!

Mexican food in Minnesota sucks. bac0n, Scar... Help?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Lord am I glad I'm out of that corporate type setup. I'm the guy who loses his mind and starts walking off into the distance, slowly stripping my clothes off, and vanishes into the weeds behind a Starbucks.
    Four months into a new public sector office job after 10 months off work, mostly travelling, and I am losing my fucking mind haha. The amount of bureaucracy it takes to get the smallest thing done is so insane, and I can't believe the level of platitudinous wank that senior management spouts.

Might resign and go travel about some more.

Oh, I forgot to mention, this isn't just a Bacon and Duke thread. Feel free to use this thread to complain about ANY work. Traffic, travel, food, people, anything.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    You looking for authentic or Tex-Mex?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

And how long are you in town? Bac0n just hopped on a jet for Chicago.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Oh, I forgot to mention, this isn't just a Bacon and Duke thread. Feel free to use this thread to complain about ANY work. Traffic, travel, food, people, anything.
    Awesome! I have to deal with an abnormal amount of stupid people on a daily basis, and because 2/3rds of my day is spent on the road, I was nearly in three head-on collisions yesterday. Not a new whine, but there are an unusual number of drivers that have no clue how to drive.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    And how long are you in town? Bac0n just hopped on a jet for Chicago.
    I'm gone, but I'm there every two months. I prefer authentic, but Tex-Mex will do too.

And any other recommendations for that matter. I've had a hard time there.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Bac0n is probably the better resource. I know of a little authentic place in Eden Prairie, but Bac0n is much more versed in the restaurants and what not than I.

Bac0n is probably the better resource. I know of a little authentic place in Eden Prairie, but Bac0n is much more versed in the restaurants and what not than I.
    Nordstrom does EcoLab. You ever go to those stores?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Nordstrom does EcoLab. You ever go to those stores?
    No, I'm in the food retail side. Walmart, Supervalu, Sams, Costco, Roundys, Fresh Thyme, Meier, Kroger, etc.

No, I'm in the food retail side. Walmart, Supervalu, Sams, Costco, Roundys, Fresh Thyme, Meier, Kroger, etc.
    Ah. They have restaurants, but that makes sense.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

You didn't go to Pepito's, did you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For good Mexican, I like a little joint in south Minneapolis called Dominguez. They have a great molé, which I consider a bellwether for the rest of their menu. Also, El Tejaban in Richfield does a great molcajetes, tho make sure you have some help eating it - it's a lot of food.

It was Nacho's Mexican Grill in Hopkins.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    For good Mexican, I like a little joint in south Minneapolis called Dominguez. They have a great molé, which I consider a bellwether for the rest of their menu. Also, El Tejaban in Richfield does a great molcajetes, tho make sure you have some help eating it - it's a lot of food.

Is that the place that Spun got the tamales from?

It was Nacho's Mexican Grill in Hopkins.
    Um, yeah, no. Just by the name of the place, I know it sucks.

Next time you're in town, or when you know the next time you're in town, shoot me an IM - would love to get together for some good food and beers. Scar can be the DD. *snicker*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast