View Poll Results: Will you stay with the boy?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%

Thread: The Boy (William Brent Bell)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Boy (William Brent Bell)

Not to be confused with the Boy (directed by another William)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This is a MUST WATCH for horror fans.

The more I try and explain what I love about this, the more I feel I would be giving away the movie.

Just see it.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I loved the setup of this film because it's weird, creepy, and a little bit funny, too.

But the ending is shit. The film spends an hour or so setting up a great little psychological drama and then abandons it completely with a dumb reveal meant to shock the audience.

Well, I was shocked for about 10 seconds, and then I was bored until the credits rolled.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Well, I was shocked for about 10 seconds, and then I was bored until the credits rolled.
    In the movie's defense, this basically happens in the last 5 minutes. So you were bored for 5 minutes.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    In the movie's defense, this basically happens in the last 5 minutes. So you were bored for 5 minutes.
    It's the last act of the movie. The ex-boyfriend shows up with about 30 minutes left, and the big reveal happens 10 minutes later. (The film is only about 1h40m, with credits.)

The ending ruined the movie for me, because it dumps on everything else that had already happened and renders it pointless.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    What Irish said.

I watched this a few months back but didn't bother making the thread. It's not very good but still nicely composed enough and mildly haunting (even when it still got a good number of laughs out of me due to the inherent awkwardness of the premise and the look of the doll) for its first three quarters or so, with a nice bit of pathos sneaking up in it. But then yeah, once its ending goes where it does it basically throws all of that restraint and style out the window for something that just honestly so feels pointless and mainly makes you and the characters feel dumb for getting invested and fooled by it.

It also didn't help that we watched this slightly drunk at the peak of the "Dat Boi" meme, and proceeded to refer to the movie and the doll as such to throughout our own amusement. (*Jump scare* "Oh shit! It's dat boi! Wuddupp", etc.)
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    It's the last act of the movie. The ex-boyfriend shows up with about 30 minutes left, and the big reveal happens 10 minutes later. (The film is only about 1h40m, with credits.)

The ending ruined the movie for me, because it dumps on everything else that had already happened and renders it pointless.
    If we want to be exact the reveal is at 1:19 and the movie ends on 1:33. So 14 minutes. Which means you were bored for 13 minutes and 50 seconds.

[
    ]