19 86.36%
  • Nay

3 13.64%

Thread: Don't Breathe (Fede Alvarez)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    He [
    ]. It's a silly plot convenience that the movie's full of. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but it does rely heavily on vagueness [
    ].
    Fair point on the kidnapping. I didn't think about that. I figured he lured her in somehow.

One thing that bugs me about the movie is the opening shot. What's the point of that future shot?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Fair point on the kidnapping. I didn't think about that. I figured he lured her in somehow.
    The whole setup is absurd. Why was he bitter about the court keeping her out of jail if he agreed to a million dollar settlement? Why would she be able to be lured by a scary dude she knows hates her guts to an abandoned neighborhood he lives in? When the rich girl was first kidnapped, why wouldn't he be the first person investigated by the police? And for that matter, it seems risky for someone keeping a woman in a basement dungeon to have an alarm system that calls the police automatically.

It's to the movie's credit in pacing that all of these only occurred to me all at once when she was watching the news broadcast at the end.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The whole setup is absurd. Why was he bitter about the court keeping her out of jail if he agreed to a million dollar settlement? Why would she be able to be lured by a scary dude she knows hates her guts to an abandoned neighborhood he lives in? When the rich girl was first kidnapped, why wouldn't he be the first person investigated by the police? And for that matter, it seems risky for someone keeping a woman in a basement dungeon to have an alarm system that calls the police automatically.

It's to the movie's credit in pacing that all of these only occurred to me all at once when she was watching the news broadcast at the end.
    Ha. All good points that I never even thought about.

Probably used that money to pay someone off for the job I guess?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Probably used that money to pay someone off for the job I guess?
    What I ended up assuming, which with the stuff 8 said is pretty much the mode the film's questions and twists operate in.

But the thing that I was most stumped on was dude was seemingly dead in the basement when we left him. And we're just assuming there was no sort of sweep of said basement at that point? I mean, the outdoor entrance was pretty much gone too, right?
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)