View Poll Results: Sausage Party

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

8 66.67%
  • Nay

4 33.33%

Thread: Sausage Party (Greg Tiernan, Conrad Vernon)

Sausage Party (Greg Tiernan, Conrad Vernon)

SAUSAGE PARTY

Directors: Greg Tiernan, Conrad Vernon

imdb

So this wasn't exactly the funniest movie or anything, but beyond all of its crude and immature humor, this was actually a surprisingly clever and intelligent movie about religion and existentialism. o.O

Producer
    Looking forward to it; just coming in to post these:

Last edited by Peng; 08-13-2016 at 04:22 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I seriously think I would place this movie among the likes of Zootopia and Swiss Army Man as one of the most genuinely brilliant screenplays of the year so far. And speaking of Zootopia, I've found that animated films these days have oftentimes been some of the deepest, most intelligent films out there as of late, and this falls right in line with that. It's sorta nuts to think that movies featuring talking animals and food seemingly have more to say about modern day issues our society is facing than films actually featuring real live human beings.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I still can't believe the last ten minutes of this movie happened.

This is an anti-Disney film in every sense of the word, and it is absolutely glorious.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Ahahaha Somehow this movie went even further than my already pretty well-informed and "anything goes" expectations. And yet, the fact that the thing I came out of it most impressed by might be how many of those ideas it has in it with all its food playing out allegories for different existential and sociopolitical arguments is a marvel in itself considering all the other visuals it had me absorb in that same runtime.

Its equal-opportunity stereotypical ribbing with its food embodying the broadest caricature of the cultures they stem from is something that starts as something of a silly shock device, and then becomes oddly charming in a way since it pushes it all to be so ridiculous that it's not only somehow not offensive, but it designs itself to slowly make it all something strangely meaningful as it goes where it eventually does. I realize how dumb that sounds but there really isn't any template for this movie to compare its ludicrous ambitions and improbable successes to. Trey Parker & Matt Stone's stuff is obviously the closest thing that comes to mind, but even then there's maybe even something more beautifully dissonant about Rogen & Goldberg upending and poisoning movies that look like Toy Story than when Parker & Stone did it with Thunderbirds for Team America. It's less focused, biting or consistently, insanely funny than that movie, but that doesn't mean it doesn't give it a run for its money in this sadly under-tapped lane of animated/puppeted movies for adults.

My biggest criticism is really one of myself in that this movie is so purely designed to be watched high and I was not. Next time, I suppose.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I still can't believe the last ten minutes of this movie happened.
    That was completely and utterly bonkers. I wasn't surprised they went there when it started, but then it just kept steam rolling and I had to look away at few times it was just too much to witness.

This was very funny. I found myself refusing to respond to the question of whether or not I "liked" it though, for fear that it would reveal something gross about my soul.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This is one of those movies I didn't find particularly funny, but it was super enjoyable to watch just to see what new food/item they were going to introduce and how it would work into the story.

And yes the final 10 minutes is bonkers.

Not exactly sure where they were going with that Stargate send off though.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This is one of those movies I didn't find particularly funny, but it was super enjoyable to watch just to see what new food/item they were going to introduce and how it would work into the story.

And yes the final 10 minutes is bonkers.

Lazy writing at the end just to finish it off, is how I see it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It's funny because they say bad words and do sex stuff.

Insufferable, like everything Rogen touches.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Ahaha ah Wats. I'm never happy to hear anyone had a terrible time with a movie, but I genuinely want to know what made you think this would be any different from all the other Rogen stuff you've hated in the last decade?

It's obviously the most knowingly dumb and self-indulgent thing they've ever gotten to make, since it literally began as a joke title Rogen and Jonah Hill came up with during the Superbad junket when they were asked what's up next for them, and they eventually just began to create it further in their (undoubtedly high) minds as to what that movie would be. The result was this R-rated animated movie in the vein of Pixar that's somehow has better storytelling than the studio's actual output in the last 5 years.

And c'mon, there's so much more going on in it than just that crudeness. What recent mainstream movie has portrayed such brazen sexual politics or contained as biting a religious diatribe than this? It's the South Park method of presenting its out of the gate with equal-opportunity-offensiveness, but when the dust settles you realize it was actually mainly set on delivering potent ideas underneath all of that brashness.

Apparently the SXSW version ended with [
    ] But they figured if actually made another one of these, they would've had to stick to what they did there and re-shoot and re-work everything anyway. (Think a much dumber Back to the Future.) Apparently it'll be on the Blu-ray.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Lazy writing at the end just to finish it off, is how I see it.
    Like most comedies. 99.9% have awful awful endings.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Rogen > Brad Bird
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Rogen > Brad Bird
    Don't see what these two have in common. I haven't even seen Bird's Tomorrowland.

Rogen's best role was in Observe and Report which took his juvenile crude humor and gave it consequences and a dark turn. His second best role is him voicing a praying mantis.

I thought this movie would approach something intelligent but all I got was a 14 year old's idea what an adult animated movie may be like. The anti-religious was so on-the-nose and anti-satirical that it would make Ricky Gervais blush. I'm tired of Rogen's schtick of getting laughs out of easy sex jokes and crude language. C'mon.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

They are both animation auteurs now! There's your connection. Or maybe i'm just yanking your chain. I do like Rogen though, and think he offers a lot more than just swearing. Dudes got expert comic timing and knows how to do shaggy comic digressions as a writer/director. This is the End is still the funniest movie of the last 5, maybe 10 years.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Don't see what these two have in common. I haven't even seen Bird's Tomorrowland.
    This is shocking! What's taking so long?

This is shocking! What's taking so long?
    Yeah, really! Its a good flick!

It got funnier at the end.

To the shock of no-one, I liked this very much.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Hahah this was great! I wish Rogen and Goldberg stuck to more of this stuff and left Garth Ennis comics alone.

I think this film should end the long standing tradition of the "stuff living life while humans not watching" trope that started with Toy Story in 1995. There's no point in movies like The Secret Lives of Pets taking themselves seriously when there's a parody of the sub-genre as good as this one.