Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rocketeers reboot?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I dont really want to get into this, and maybe Im just missing the threads they post in...but dont those two rarely visit anymore? Something to consider. I wish they were around more.
    I'm not entirely sure about Sven, but I know D announced his exit from these forums after the whole Baywatch thread fiasco. A shame, too, as I generally enjoyed his contributions. :\

Wow I missed the Baywatch thing.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Wow.

I really need to see The Rocketeer.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Remember that time I melted down when Spinal hated Up! (a film I rewatched and found unbearable now)
    I'm glad to find this out. I was never down with Up!.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Match Cut is in a weird zone where it is a very small, relatively long-running community, which facilitates a closer, more realistic interaction between posters while at the same time still fundamentally being an anonymous message board. So there will always be this tension between 3 groups: those who think the context of MC requires a more civil, polite form of interaction, those who think we are all friends here and busting chops is something friends do, and those who just see it as an anonymous forum for unbridled opinion delivery, with all the pros and cons that entails.

The solution?
    Probably quit. Which a lot of us have. But for some reason I just can't quite permanently.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I dont really want to get into this, and maybe Im just missing the threads they post in...but dont those two rarely visit anymore? Something to consider. I wish they were around more.
    Just gonna echo this a little. I don't know how actually connected it is to various posters' choices to stay or go, but if there's one thing that I've never liked about MC culture it's the drive-by "lol it's the ridiculous guy" thing. Doesn't do much for conversation. Don't want to speak for the people cited, but even as a third-party, I've found the reduction-to-poster's-opinion-as-stereotype thing a little tiresome.

EDIT: Which--and I would hope it goes without saying--does not mean I dislike the people who do it. It's just a kind of teasing I've never been a fan of. I also don't mean to imply that I'm innocent of it, because I'm sure I'm not.
    Last edited by Sycophant; 07-29-2016 at 11:18 PM.

- - - - -

Angry Well that was a nice little meltdown, wasn't it?

Last edited by Irish; 07-30-2016 at 11:49 AM.

I just walked in here and I am so confused.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Producer
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Either you think anyone should be able to post here without some subnormal mouthbreather going out of his way to "hassle" people because he "enjoys" it ... or you don't. One of those is sensible, the other isn't.

Because a completely inert response does nothing to curtail this level of bullshit. Whether you realize it or not, what's been said here tacitly encourages more of it.

So the open question for lurkers and casuals and people who don't have special privileges is pretty obvious: Who's the next target?

If you think there won't be one, you're wrong.

- - - - -

Most people don't complain as loudly, or as often, as I do. If they don't like something, they don't yell. They don't post about it. They don't say a goddamn word. They just leave, and then they don't come back.
    Quoting for my own reminder because I really have a response to this (and well, the open question envelops everyone), but shouldn't do it on an Iphone. Until back from vacation.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Don't dredge up a post I made two and a half years ago (seriously, how long have you been keeping that in your back pocket?). This makes you look silly for a number of reasons, mostly because there are no additional examples of me making snide comments to Mara.
    I apologise for posting it, since it doesn't achieve anything constructive, but it came to mind because it came to mind because it struck me at the time as one of the most weirdly misdirected aggressive comments I'd ever seen on this site. And I feel it's emblematic of a history of being needlessly combative and dismissive in your interactions, which makes this all feel a little hypocritical.

But whatever, it's not like I've never not considered other's feelings on the internet.

I agree the site's dying. Actually, I think the real community feeling the site had at its height had mostly died a fair bit before you even started posting. It seems like me and most of the remaining few long-term members come here out of habit these days.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Someone visits aintitcool
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Forums as a form of social networking are almost dead, except when they're dedicated to topics which are best suited for forum communication.
    I do come here out of habit, but this is also one of the few places where I know I'll always read something I can't get anywhere else.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    but this is also one of the few places where I know I'll always read something I can't get anywhere else.
    This.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

There is reddit, but there's SO many people on reddit, that I don't actually feel like I'm discussing something with anyone at all. Whereas here, even with the low amount of people left, I can picture the person/voice/etc., and in some cases, I actually do know the voice and look of the person.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Like anywhere on the net, there are trolls. This community (I believe) was started as place to escape those types, but as anything on the interwebs, they emerge. It is unfortunate that its inescapable, but even with the dwindling users, I still value Match Cut. I cant go back to RT. IMDB is out of the question. The options are endure a few trollish types here and get a lot of valuable discussion, or dive back into the ocean of foam-faced anonymous screaming loud ocean of assholes searching for the drops of sanity and reason. We all have to decide for ourselves where our tolerance lies.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I agree the site's dying. Actually, I think the real community feeling the site had at its height had mostly died a fair bit before you even started posting. It seems like me and most of the remaining few long-term members come here out of habit these days.
    Yeah. The site's been pretty much dead for a few years. I doubt that has anything to do with snide remarks. As ETM said, forum culture in general has died. And this forum in particular never really gained many regular users beyond those who were here since the beginning, most of whom were people in their early 20s, in university or recently out of it, keen to talk at length about movies and books all day. People moved on to other things.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Yeah. The site's been pretty much dead for a few years. I doubt that has anything to do with snide remarks. As ETM said, forum culture in general has died. And this forum in particular never really gained many regular users beyond those who were here since the beginning, most of whom were people in their early 20s, in university or recently out of it, keen to talk at length about movies and books all day. People moved on to other things.
    Yeah, I think snide remarks plays a much bigger factor in people's decision to move on and leave than you're letting on. I personally know of several people who have left in the past few years for precisely that reason, and that's just among those who were open about why the left. I'm sure plenty more have left for that reason as well who kept it to themselves.

Yeah, I think snide remarks plays a much bigger factor in people's decision to move on and leave than you're letting on. I personally know of several people who have left in the past few years for precisely that reason, and that's just among those who were open about why the left. I'm sure plenty more have left for that reason as well who kept it to themselves.
    Hm. I'm surprised. This place has always struck me as pretty mild on the trolling scale. Most of the core group of posters who used to make the bulk of the posts---Boner, Derek, KF, Spinal, Sven, Wats, DavidSeven, Duncan, Qrazy, etc.---just seemed to lose interest and either go elsewhere or, like Winston said, continue to visit only out of habit.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I still keep in touch with people on Facebook who don't post here that much (Derek, Boner, KF). I used to really enjoy posting on Match Cut (and RT) when it was more of a community when we would have stuff like tournaments, film-swaps, and regular discussion in the Film Discussion Thread. I dropped out of Grad School last year for financial reasons and to keep my job with Disney. My movie-watching has gone down by a lot. I used to watch around 200 movies a year. Now it's around 25-30.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Yeah, there used to be a pretty lively community. The first four pages of The Film Discussion Thread are all from one day and a relatively small number of posters. Even when I'm in a period of watching a lot of movies, I usually don't have the energy or wherewithal to post anything about them these days.

P.S. Sucks about grad school.

lists and reviews

You were one of my favorite posters Melville, even if you hated a lot of movies (and books) I loved. I remember you being a strong champion of The Grey (a film I still hold as one of the best of this decade). My main problem with my posts being a little snidey and short were I just didn't have the energy to post a huge bullet pouint argumentative essay defending the films that I loved. I was mostly an observer and a list-maker.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Hm. I'm surprised. This place has always struck me as pretty mild on the trolling scale. Most of the core group of posters who used to make the bulk of the posts---Boner, Derek, KF, Spinal, Sven, Wats, DavidSeven, Duncan, Qrazy, etc.---just seemed to lose interest and either go elsewhere or, like Winston said, continue to visit only out of habit.
    Hell, among the posters you listed are ones who left for the generally negative vibe the forum had gradually devolved to. You have to keep in mind, when we're dealing with a smaller forum such as this, there's less a chance of getting lost in the crowd, meaning that we actually get to know one another and become more acquainted with and more familiar with one another on a more personable level than we would on your typical mass forum. So as such, when the trolling does take place, it tends to be taken far more personally and just give off a far more negative vibe, particularly when it goes on for as long as it at times does here.

Thanks, Wats. I love The Grey even more now than when I first saw it. It's certainly the movie that's influenced and stuck with me the most from this decade.

I bet 90% of my posts over the last few years have been lists.

Drop me a line if you're ever in the UK.

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Seeing the new Ghibli this weekend.
    This was excellent btw. /movies

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast