• Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

- - - - -
    Huh.

- I dig Fuller but as a Star Trek "traditionalist" I already have an irrational hatred of this project.

- Similar to Star Wars, I think casuals will be confused by the different projects floating around that have nothing to do with one another. Discovery: A Star Trek Story.

- Why the Motion Picture style reverence for the ship when it's not the Enterprise? (I heard they went back and used old concept art from Phase II, which, if true, is pretty fucking cool, tho).

- STD. /golfclap

Brian Fuller made good TV out of Hannibal Lecter and The Munsters. I feel like he can handle Star Trek

The ship's design is a bit strange - it's like a Starfleet-ized version of the original Klingon Battlecruiser design:

I think that's intentional.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Nuggets, From Bryan Fuller:

Ever since the first test footage from the new Star Trek TV series, Discovery broke (see it at the bottom of the story), we've been wondering when showrunner Bryan Fuller would reveal more details. Now, talking to reporters at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour, he's let loose a veritable starburst of new nuggets.
    Among the revelations about the show that is due to start filming its main cast in two months? It's set 10 years before Captain Kirk in the "prime" universe, i.e. the original series, not the current set of films. "We have the opportunity to bridge the gap between the Enterprise and the original series and really help us redefine the visual style of Star Trek," Fuller said.
    The setting also provides for an interesting mix of crew, with the biggest news being that the show has a female lead, but that she will not be the ship's captain, allowing for a different perspective on life on board the vessel and elsewhere. "We're going to deep into something that was for me always very tantalizing and to tell that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy," Fuller explained. "For her to truly understand something that is alien, she has to first understand herself." The character is apparently a Lieutenant Commander, but with, Fuller teased, "caveats." He didn't expand on what that means, and he says they have yet to cast that role.
    In addition to a character that Fuller confirmed will be openly gay (and idea pitched by co-creator Alex Kurtzman, though Fuller had already planned to include it), there will be a mix of humans and aliens in the roster. Says Fuller, "Star Trek started with wonderful expression of diversity in its cast: a Russian, a black woman, an Asian, a Vulcan... We're continuing that tradition and our lead of the show is going to be subject of that same level of who is the best actor and what can we say about diversity in every role we'll have on the show. We wanted to paint a picture of Starfleet that's indicative of encountering people who are much more different than we are." Oh, and robots. There will be robots.
    The first season will, as planned, be a novelistic approach to the story, with episodes contributing to the overarching plot. In the States, the show will premiere its first episode on Broadcast network CBS before moving to the company's All Access platform. In the UK and elsewhere, episodes will arrive weekly on Netflix.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/n...y-revelations/

10 revelations about the show. No spoilers. Vincenzo Natali (Cube) will helm episode 2.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I've never been a fan of Star Trek. I saw the first two Abrams movies, and they were…OK. I remember forcing myself to watch an episode from one of the shows when I was really young. I must have been eight or something. I watched it as a kind of endurance test because, at the time, it bored me to tears. So, yeah, in the idle hours of a weekday evening, I steeled myself to watch an entire episode as some kind of boredom-induced lark — just to try and see if I could sustain my attention. A weird exercise, and one that probably entrained an illogical aversion to the property.

I'm also not so sure about Fuller anymore. The weird thing about Hannibal is that its excellence seems to be atrophying in my memory, despite the fact that I remember being so pleased with it while it aired (I think I wrote some glowing, rambling things here). That wasn't disingenuous, but, as time has passed, the show's ostensibly weaker aspects seem more irksome (they may have been overshadowed at the time by the sheer excellence of so many other things). At the time, when that Rinaldo Pazzi dude shows up, and it's all so plodding and uninspired, it was easy to just look to other virtues. Or that awful Lady Murasaki "arc," if you can call it that...

But in retrospect, and after reading some dissenting takes, I've begun to wonder about how much of it really works well. I was so enamoured with certain aspects (and the mystery of where it was going, the longterm trajectory, etc.) that I was less keen on worrying about its missteps. I need to revisit to truly confirm these complaints, but I do have a suspicion that the kitchen sink artistry of the show might not have been inventive all of the time, but sometimes…almost sloppily desultory and sort of like, "shrug — let's try this." The aesthetic range of the thing excited me, and it's still one of Hannibal's great draws, but, looking back, it almost felt like a showy crutch at times. Fuller loved to dive headlong into strangeness, but I'm not sure this was always thoughtfully or gracefully executed ("look how gross and/or weird we are this time!"), and it was sometimes pushed to the point of monotony or wheel-spinning. You've probably already seen these criticisms expressed elsewhere; I'm not exactly making any original or new claims here — just reiterating and agreeing with what others have already (and more effectively) argued (it's those dissenting opinions that led to me having second thoughts in the first place).

Mads' performance remains brilliant, however, and the dynamic between him and Will is spectacular at times. But the storytelling has settled in my memory as uneven.

These are tentative criticisms, though. I'll see if any of it is actually borne out by a re-watch. But I don't even feel compelled to do that anytime soon. It's weird. I think this is actually the first time I've cooled off on a show to this degree. By the way — and this is totally off topic, sorry — has anyone noticed that some people now seem, like, vaguely ashamed of having really loved Breaking Bad? Such ecstatic affection for that show at the time of its airing and now it's been given ​The Dark Knight-treatment in certain corners of the reception. No one seems to look back on The Sopranos in the same way but I get this sense that certain folks think back to their enthusiasm for Breaking Bad like it was some kind drunken stupor from which they've awoken. Personally, my feelings on it haven't changed much. I still think the show was amazing, and while those who argue that it lacked the depth of Mad Men are right, they are also giving short shrift to the heft of episodes like "Fly," and the volumes spoken by Cranston's performance. I still periodically return to scenes from season 5B just to see the strange psychological dynamic being worked out in the Jesse and Walt scenes.
    Last edited by Gittes; 09-11-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    I remember forcing myself to watch an episode from one of the shows when I was really young. I must have been eight or something. I watched it as a kind of endurance test because, at the time, it bored me to tears. So, yeah, in the idle hours of a weekday evening, I steeled myself to watch an entire episode as some kind of boredom-induced lark — just to try and see if I could sustain my attention. A weird exercise, and one that probably entrained an illogical aversion to the property.
    When I was about that age, I remember being mesmerized by the TNG pilot, and being hooked from there. I even cried when Tasha was killed.
    Star Trek had a huge influence on me as a child, as it pushed me towards sci-fi and science.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    I've never been a fan of Star Trek.
    If you disliked the other stuff, the new show probably won't appeal. It sounds like it will be more of the same, except more so. Like they're doubling down on Star Trek markers (representation and "values"). The more anybody talks about Roddenberry's legacy, the more worried I get.

Some of the things Fuller said out of Comic Con made the show sound like a weird, cultish prayer circle. ("Let's all join hands and...")

I'm also not so sure about Fuller anymore. The weird thing about Hannibal is that its excellence seems to be atrophying in my memory, despite the fact that I remember being so pleased with it while it aired (I think I wrote some glowing, rambling things here). That wasn't disingenuous, but, as time has passed, I've come to reconsider some of the show's ostensibly weaker aspects (which may have been overshadowed at the time by the sheer excellence of so many other things). It's like, when that Rinaldo de' Pazzi dude shows up, and it's all so plodding and uninspired, it was easy to just look to other virtues.
    My concerns are that (1) Fuller has a spotty writing pedigree and (2) he's also working on American Gods. Split attention in a showrunner is never a good thing.

I bailed on Hannibal after the first season. The show's production values and performances were ace, but its narrative dependency on being a prequel and the way it constantly leaned on dramatic irony annoyed me.

By the way — and this is totally off topic, sorry — has anyone noticed that some people now seem, like, vaguely ashamed of having really loved Breaking Bad?
    Breaking Bad was canonized early and looking at it now, I think it benefited enormously from good timing, the same way Deadwood did. There weren't many prestige shows on at the time, no "Peak TV" yet, and Netflix gave the show's visibility a big leg up. I think if it debuted now, in the current environment, it would struggle to find a place. (cf: Better Call Saul.)

But then, I'm probably not the person to talk to about this.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    When I was about that age, I remember being mesmerized by the TNG pilot, and being hooked from there. I even cried when Tasha was killed.
    Star Trek had a huge influence on me as a child, as it pushed me towards sci-fi and science.
    Yeah, I'm only now realizing that coming into a thread where people are anticipating something and dropping a wall of text that begins with a casual dismissal of the entire series, followed by a rambling trashing of the new show runner, may have been an inadvertently asshole-ish move, lol. To be sure, I never gave the show anything even close to a fair shake. I've been noticing more praise than ever nowadays and I suspect that there's greatness here that I haven't recognized. It's always good to check your most ridiculous/unwarranted aversions and blindspots.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    My concerns are that (1) Fuller has a spotty writing pedigree and (2) he's also working on American Gods. Split attention in a showrunner is never a good thing.
    I forgot about American Gods. I have yet to see any of Shonda Rhimes' shows, but she may be doing a better job with multitasking.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Breaking Bad was canonized early and looking at it now, I think it benefited enormously from good timing, the same way Deadwood did. There weren't many prestige shows on at the time, no "Peak TV" yet, and Netflix gave the show's visibility a big leg up. I think if it debuted now, in the current environment, it would struggle to find a place. (cf: Better Call Saul.)

Any struggling going on with Saul is likely because it's so different from Breaking Bad, and the writers, to their credit, are avoiding really leaning into a pandering approach. As with Hannibal​, perhaps I'll find certain aesthetic excesses somewhat grating eventually, but, currently, I'm admiring a show whose episodes are mounted with unrelenting care (well, almost) from week to week. I like the sense of no stone being left unturned in terms of making sure the experience is firing on all cylinders from moment to moment (and this doesn't mean it's "thrilling" in every moment, but presented with an admirable level of finesse — I often feel it's clear that the show is in good and careful hands, which was certainly not always the case with Hannibal).

As for Breaking Bad​ arriving at the right time, you may have a point. Not sure how it would fare if it were to emerge today, but if it at least made it to S3, which is where it really started to become successful (if I recall correctly), then I imagine it would still do fine.

As for my earlier comments, about people dialling down their enthusiasm after the fact, I probably shouldn't have said anything because that's mostly a hunch-based and anecdotal "claim." Maybe I was just extrapolating based on my vague sense that there's less intense interest around Gilligan following the debut of Saul. I mean, Zoller Seitz and Sepinwall just released a book called TV (The Book): Two Experts Pick the Greatest American Shows of All Time (something obnoxious about that title), and I'm sure Breaking Bad will get ample praise therein.

Last edited by Gittes; 09-11-2016 at 04:09 PM.

- - - - -
    CBS pushed Discovery's premiere from January to May. WTF?

The scheduling shift was driven by a request from the creative team of Star Trek: Discovery. Created/executive produced by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman, the new Star Trek series has three completed scripts and the first season mapped out. Sources say the show, which is now casting, was moving along according to its production schedule but its producers proactively asked the studio for more time to use in pre-production, filming and post.
    https://deadline.com/2016/09/star-tr...ss-1201819639/
    Last edited by Irish; 09-14-2016 at 09:14 PM.

- - - - -

Annnnnnnd the CBS clusterfuck continues!

Bryan Fuller is leaving the captain's chair on CBS All Access' Star Trek: Discovery.

Fuller has stepped down from his role as showrunner on the digital series, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...wrunner-941587

Fuller, who will remain an executive producer, will still be involved in breaking stories, and the show will continue to follow his vision for the universe that this latest “Trek” series will inhabit.
    ???
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    It seems like because he's busy? American Gods for Starz and Amazing Stories for NBC so he can't devote full-time to this one but he still wants to be involved, so writing and producing.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah, the article basically makes it seem like they have no choice or desire to do anything but stick what he planned for the first season, but after that the two new people in the showrunner roles will create the stories.

Anecdotally, knowing second-to-third-hand people's information from working on this, the consensus seemed to be that Fuller was to making something even more ambitiously auteurist and specific than what he did with Hannibal, only on a much bigger scale on the murky schedule of a platform that has yet to exist. Which means people have been working on crafting sets day and night for a series that doesn't have a cast or many concrete scripts yet, which, especially for a network like CBS, they must have seen as a nightmare.

I'm obviously bummed out that he isn't officially running this in the same capacity as before, but it's not like they're going to be tearing it up and do something totally different from what he planned.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Michelle Yeoh has boarded.

YEAH-OH!

http://www.empireonline.com/people/m...rek-discovery/

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Michelle Yeoh has boarded.

YEAH-OH!

http://www.empireonline.com/people/m...rek-discovery/
    She's the captain. Anthony Rapp and Doug Jones have also been added.

http://deadline.com/2016/11/star-tre...-s-1201861221/

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

James Frain to play Sarek...and the show has been delayed.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/n...aunch-delayed/

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Movie Theater Diary

Love that guy.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Love that guy.
    In anything!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Huh. Rainn Wilson will play a younger Harry Mudd.
    Movie Theater Diary

Always liked Harry Mudd because of how Roger C. Carmel played the character as an almost lovable scoundrel...almost. Will be interesting to see what Wilson does with the role.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast