View Poll Results: Triple 9 (John Hillcoat)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

1 33.33%
  • Nay

2 66.67%

Thread: Triple 9 (John Hillcoat)

Triple 9 (John Hillcoat)

Last edited by DavidSeven; 07-21-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

I'm a sucker for a gritty heist flick with some pedigree attached. While I can't deny enjoying this to a pretty good extent, there's definitely something missing to it. The pacing is break-neck, and Hillcoat films his action sequences with great clarity and impact. The film rarely fails to elicit an adrenaline feuled response when it wants it. What the film lacks, however, is any sense of emotional gravity to its numerous twists and turns. Here's the problem: the film has a lot of actors but no characters. It's built entirely on creating tension, but it leaves its audience with no entry point for feeling the drama. Specific motivations are either murky or strain credibility, and as a result, it's difficult to understand why any of the characters are going along with the film's largely absurd schemes. I enjoyed the film's energy, but was left dissatisfied and unaffected when it was over. It doesn't so much climax as it peters out and then rushes to a forced full-circle moment.

If you're looking for a technically competent Heat/Training Day/Bad Lieutenant mash-up, you could do worse. Just don't expect much in the way of drama or originality.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 07-22-2016 at 01:20 AM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This cast- MCU, DCEU, Westworld, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Woody Harrelson.... Loved this. Might end up in my top 10 of the year.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?