Thread: Stranger Things (Season 1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's ridiculous. $5 billion?! Seriously? They make that much money without ad revenue? Didn't I remember reading that Netflix operates at a net loss or something? Because of all the money it has to pay for studio rights and bandwidth.

Edit: apologies if this reads terribly naive but I know nothing about this.

We finished this out over the past week. It hurts itself in that it continuously applies "maybe we should do this or think of the monster this way" logic and they're always right. That sort of takes away from the overall fantastical nature of the show. If they'd have been wrong about the upside down, or been wrong about the creature's attraction to blood--anything to suggest that there's a danger to over-literalizing one of their predictions, I'd have been more of a fan of this world.

As it stands, Harbour's excellent in it, and the world does remind me of King's It-world. My annoyance is the overwhelming sense throughout the show that King's gigantic text had far more complexity and heart to it than is exhibited here.

Hopefully the show doesn't bother to try to save Barb or any other silliness in season two but goes elsewhere.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    That's ridiculous. $5 billion?! Seriously? They make that much money without ad revenue? Didn't I remember reading that Netflix operates at a net loss or something? Because of all the money it has to pay for studio rights and bandwidth.

Edit: apologies if this reads terribly naive but I know nothing about this.
    Highly recommended reading: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/ma...ated.html?_r=0

Finally, the pessimists point out that Netflix makes very little profit: In the first quarter of this year, for instance, Netflix had nearly $2 billion in revenue but only $28 million in profit. Despite the significant moves by Netflix into original programming, Wall Street still values Netflix more like a platform company — a business that uses the internet to match buyers and sellers, like Uber — than a content company, like a studio or a network. Its valuation is currently $5 billion more than Sony, for example. Hastings, who has been very blunt about the company’s strategy of plowing money back into the business, has promised bigger profits sometime in 2017. Whether he can deliver on that promise will be a significant test of investors’ faith in him.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary