Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things (Season 1)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Stranger Things (Season 1)

Last edited by Dukefrukem; 07-17-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This soundtrack is unreal.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Four episodes in and this is damn good. Love this 80s vibe and the soundtrack is stellar.

Has a Wayward Pines, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and vintage Spielberg feel.

Oh this is interesting. And the nostalgia is strong... I totally feel at home in this dumpy midwestern mid-80's world.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I don't know when this went from atmospheric to terrifying but it happened. So freaked right now.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I'm only two episodes in, but:

This feels like a mish-mash of references, made by people who only experienced the 80s through pop media. Everything about it is slightly inauthentic. (I had a similar problem with Amazon's Red Oaks). The musical cues are mostly anachronisms. The hair styles, clothes, and slang are all off.
    I do agree with this.

I agree that there's a retro-pastiche vibe (it isn't about the 80's so much as it is about films *from* the 80's) but I don't think that's inherently bad. I'm digging it so far. (Through ep 4.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, Mara is right, I thought it was beyond obvious what they are going for.

I mean. We paused the action to do a makeover montage.

If this show ends in a dance-off I'm gonna be so pleased.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Aw, they're in Indiana! I lived in Indiana around 1987. We even lived near a terrifying quarry.

Where did they find a twelve-year-old without front teeth? Even I'd lost my front teeth by then and I was absurdly late with my teeth. (I didn't lose a single tooth until I was nine and the dentist had to pull two baby teeth when I was thirteen before I could get braces.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

fuck you government, these kids have BIKES
    ...and the milk's in me.

You have way too much time on your hands

- - - - -
    These little comments you make ... are they supposed to make me feed bad or you feel good?

You bring up a lot of great points Irish. I somehow was able to ignore all of those points, which now pisses me off, and still be able to enjoy the hell out of this. Much more than I did say, Daredevil S2 or Jessica Jones.

The one thing that pissed me off the most though, was this.

The climax does the opposite. Once the groups finally do meet and trade information, they inexplicably split up again. This feels like it was done in service of rough plot mechanics. With everybody split, there can now be two or three big action climaxes instead of just one.

- - - - -
    Thanks, Duke. I wish there were some aspect of it I could have grabbed onto and enjoyed, which would have enabled me to ignore all the other stuff (I had hoped it would be Winona; I was excited to see her in a lead role again).

Turns out though that you're not in bad company:

Does the Netflix model of releasing shows turn anyone else off from watching them? Like, I would probably give this a go if they released it one episode at a time, but since all of a sudden there's a whole season out it feels like a chore and I probably won't.

I can see how this show could definitely be divisive. Either what it's attempting jives with you or it doesn't.

But I finished up the season and I enjoyed it all the way through. I was worried about how they were going to end, but I felt like they tied up enough ends that it felt satisfying while in true horror movie tradition it set up a "sequel" season.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Does the Netflix model of releasing shows turn anyone else off from watching them? Like, I would probably give this a go if they released it one episode at a time, but since all of a sudden there's a whole season out it feels like a chore and I probably won't.
    No. Quite the opposite.

These little comments you make ... are they supposed to make me feed bad or you feel good?
    Neither, actually. I'll probably have more time to talk later, but I had just that one thing to say after being confronted with the wall of text when I opened the thread.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    It definitely benefits those who binge over those who don't. I don't like to watch multiple episodes of the same show in one day. I've seen one episode so far. I liked it, but I feel a bit left out when some have seen the whole show already.

One of the worst acted series in recent memory. I think Irish has kinda alluded to this.

Holy shit, love the soundtrack although it's almost too perfectly great, which I know is a weird thing to say. Lots of ideas taken from established properties but I was never a big Spielberg kid so it could bother me less. Felt just as much vibes from stuff like Lynch movies, It Follows, etc. I didn't really feel like I was beat over the head by the time period like I was when watching Super 8, and the kids all did pretty good I thought. Lol Winona Ryder was batshit but great. The show definitely caught me by surprise.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    I didn't really feel like I was beat over the head by the time period like I was when watching Super 8, and the kids all did pretty good I thought.
    The kids did so much better than those in Super 8, it's hardly even a comparison.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I feel weird for jiving a bit more to Irish's points than to the overall positive response here. Like... it was all fine, but it all felt very transparent to me, and there were elements that felt actively wrong, like the way that [
    ]

In terms of storytelling, the thing also reminded me uncomfortably of how I felt watching Jurassic World and The Force Awakens - that I was watching someone trying to gratify me by giving me the exact thing I enjoyed once, but with no real sense of adventure or upending expectations or getting at the thrumming engine at the center of those experiences.

I've mostly said I thought it was good when talking to others, in part because it's struck such a nerve for so many and I have no enthusiasm for getting into those kinds of conversations (the ones that re-light the emotional passion of childhood entertainment experiences), but also because I didn't hate the series or anything. It's "fine" for me in the same way The Force Awakens was "fine." In that I can enjoy it moment by moment and later, on reflection, have the strange feeling that I was used.

Sidebar: every goddamn time the opening credits started, it took all I had to not whisper, "I'm Garth Marenghi... author... dream-weaver..."
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 07-27-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast