21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Light is green!

10 47.62%
  • Light is red.

11 52.38%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters (Paul Feig)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I haven't been to a MCDonalds is 20 years so what the fuck is a McGriddle?

Edit: Googled it. Wow America is fat as fak.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Liked it a fair bit. I gotta go back in Feig's filmography and watch Bridesmaids and The Heat one of these days, since his style of distinct, believable personalities and creating an air of easy-going, quick-to-laugh camaraderie is really infectious to me. Not as good as Spy, since there is a push-and-pull feeling between original plotline's obligation and the new material, so some of the film still feels half-baked. Still very much worth it just for Kate McKinnon and Chris Hemsworth though. Both exhibit totally different vibes of energy, but are always mesmerizing to watch and very hilarious.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Edit: Googled it. Wow America is fat as fak.
    Adding maple syrup to a doughy biscuit sandwich is the low point of our fallen civilization. If Thomas Jefferson were here right now, he'd shoot me in the fakking head.

Quote Quoting Fezzik (view post)
    Huh. They have McGriddles on the all-day menu here. Maybe its regional?
    Oh, man, lucky! I wonder if it's regional or a by-franchise-owner decision, or what. None of them I've seen between Utah and Oregon have them. It's my favorite thing a fast food restaurant makes.

I treat myself to a McGriddle about twice a year. Pure delicious candy.

Sausage McMuffins with Egg is my last fast-food item that I can't shake. They're so good to me.

Other than that, it's pretty rare that I ever eat. And only because there's absolutely no options left, and sometimes I'd rather just be hungry, and think of the Louis CK skit about "hunger."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Sausage McMuffins with Egg is my last fast-food item that I can't shake. They're so good to me.

Other than that, it's pretty rare that I ever eat. And only because there's absolutely no options left, and sometimes I'd rather just be hungry, and think of the Louis CK skit about "hunger."
    You mean the meal is over when you hate yourself?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Mild nay. There's some decent laughs, though not nearly enough. Leslie Jones is funnier than I imagined she would be. I wish she was that controlled and focused on SNL. Kate McKinnon was less funny than I imagined she would be, with much of what she was doing seeming like a non sequitur. I suppose that's what she was going for, but it didn't really work for me. McCarthy and Wiig have some good moments. Hemsworth steals his scenes. It's the lame script that's to blame, and the direction that rarely gives the cast the freedom to cut loose.

I have nothing to say about McGriddles.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I have nothing to say about McGriddles.
    Pfft. Dude. You're Spinal. Not Spineless. Take a stand!

Also we probably need a McGriddle poll now, I think.

I ate a McGriddle today because of this thread.

You mean the meal is over when you hate yourself?
    I think there's a bit somewhere he talks about how "hungry" to us is completely different to a kid in Africa.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I keep clicking this thread to hear about what you guys thought of the movie and instead I get more and more info about your fast food eating habits. Is this the kind of thing that leads people to start complaining about microaggressions?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I keep clicking this thread to hear about what you guys thought of the movie and instead I get more and more info about your fast food eating habits. Is this the kind of thing that leads people to start complaining about microaggressions?
    DON'T TRIGGER ME BRO

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I feel like a fast food discussion is appropriate when discussing a summer reboot.

Don't worry, I'm here now.

- I want to believe that it's some kind of next-level trolling on Feig's part for the cameos by The Real Ghostbusters to be across the board the worst parts of the movie, but I know that in reality they're just poorly tacked on as fan service damage control. Bill Murray's character is dumb and his exit is the crassest, darkest joke in the movie that doesn't fit the tone [
    ]; Dan Akroyd plays some kind of reject SNL character; while Hudson and Potts don't even get characters to play and feel like they got invited at the last minute.

- Speaking of trolling the fanbase, they must have at some point reworked the script specifically to do a pass that makes as much fun of the male backlash to the film as possible. Some I can see easily adlibbed ("Ain't no bitches gonna hunt no ghosts." "Safety lights are for boys.") but they really went at it with the characterization of the villain being a misogynistic nerd ("You've been bullied your whole life, now you will be the bully!"). I feel like the entirety of the antagonist's relationship to the heroes is crucially summed up by it leading up to them literally shooting him in the dick. This (on top of Hemsworth's character) seem to be aiming at a metatextual Masculinity So Fragile brand of humor, which I'm always all about, but in this case it consumed the narrative and resulted in a weak objective, because it's such a one-dimensional target to vilify. As awesome as the kaiju climax is, it's bound to seem simplistic in comparison to what the O.G. had to do to prevent the coming of Gozer.

- I agree that there's no build up to a big punchline, but I laughed a lot at the deadpan asides. It's definitely more my kind of humor. For that reason, Cecily Strong is the runaway performer of the movie for me. Almost everything her character says made me laugh pretty hard, but the restaurant scene is probably the highlight ("Oh she thinks the window is a sliding door. Oh she thinks all of them are doors. That's so sad."). Andy Garcia in that scene, too. "Never compare me to the mayor in Jaws!" That feels like a particularly Apatovian joke. I can see Rogen and Franco having that exact exchange.

- I've been thinking about what DaMU said about this team being too awesome, and I agree that it's more fun to watch heroes struggle. The toy merchandise-friendly fight scene is pretty blunt in pushing them as superheroes. As were the case with The Heat and Spy, though, I think Feig is deliberately trying to position his brand of female-led action-comedies to not be a comedy of everyman buffoonery (as one can argue the O.G. was coming from), but specifically a comedy about very competent people whose struggles are more about being believed to be competent, so that asskicking sequence seem to be his idea of a payoff. Lose some, win some, I suppose, and there's room for improvement in him being an action director, but I can think of worse things to turn the Ghostbusters franchise into than a straight up supernatural superhero comedies.

- There were quite a number of little girls in my screening (which was almost full! I guess word of mouth is sustaining this) sitting near me, and I was taken aback by how they were being unruly as toddlers tend to be before the movie, but they were raptly quiet--aside from laughing--throughout the movie. They seemed so into it, and it's confirmed when they ran out of the theater skipping and playing pretend-photon blasting. As someone who just likes O.G. growing up as a lighthearted fantasy movie but never appreciated it as a comedy classic, I don't really think this version does anything lesser or better than it. It's just another one, and it's fine. And letting any high expectations go, it's fun enough to watch Kate McKinnon lick a gun and be cool.

- Also, Kate McKinnon's performance is perfect and I don't know what any of you are talking about.

- Anyone else notice that Dave Gruber Allen was the subway ghost? Now that's a fun cameo.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

My favorite joke in the movie:

[
    ]
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

- - - - -
    Those are all fine points, 8, but let's get down to the real business at hand:

How do you feel about McGriddles?

I don't know what that is. Is it like a Scottish undergarment?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Andy Garcia in that scene, too. "Never compare me to the mayor in Jaws!" That feels like a particularly Apatovian joke. I can see Rogen and Franco having that exact exchange.
    Judd Apatow is actually up there along with Joss Whedon among directors who I think could've made this material actually work. Sure, the movie woulda probably overstayed its welcome under his helm, but at least a far larger percentage of the jokes would've probably landed.

- Also, Kate McKinnon's performance is perfect and I don't know what any of you are talking about.
    Calling Kate McKinnon's performance here as being perfect feels akin to calling Jesse Eisenberg's turn as Lex Luthor perfect.

In any event, all this talk about McGriddles has seriously got me craving them. I think I'll see if the McDonald's here still has them or not...

I'm in St. Louis this week. I would be flabbergasted if they didn't have them here.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In any event, all this talk about McGriddles has seriously got me craving them. I think I'll see if the McDonald's here still has them or not...
    Reporting back in, and that's a yupper!

Reporting back in, and that's a yupper!
    Do they serve them all day?

If everyone on MC has had one of these, I cannot be left out.

If everyone on MC has had one of these, I cannot be left out.
    I had one years ago. I was not a fan.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

They sure do.

In case you're wondering, that's 19 posts about McDonald's breakfast, 16 about Ghostbusters, and 4 about both McDonald's breakfast and Ghostbusters.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast