Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Light is green!

10 47.62%
  • Light is red.

11 52.38%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ghostbusters (Paul Feig)

To be fair, I think people thought it was the tagline.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    The answer to your question is NO. I don't remember "Answer the Call" being on any trailer or any poster or mentioned anywhere before the Blu-ray was released.
    I breezed past the first part of your post, which, looking at it now, I don't understand. My question to you presented two choices and your answer is "NO"? So, it was neither? I was just wondering if it was just an FYI (like, "hey, did you notice this?") or if you have a specific problem with the title? You seemed to be saying that the title represents a kind of damage control maneuver on Sony's part, but I don't think that's the case.

I mean, did you check out the link Spinal posted? That title was always part of the game-plan, so it wasn't a last-minute change — and even if it had been, that's no big deal, right?

If you saw the film in theaters, you may have noticed the end credits clearly refer to the movie as Ghostbusters: Answer the Call. And there’s a very simple explanation.

[…]

Reitman corroborates the studio’s decision. “[The title’s] just to differentiate it,” he said. “First of all, the 1984 movie is out there all the time. It’s on television every day. And it’s even in movie theaters, so the studio felt it needed some kind of subtitle to differentiate the versions.”

I thought it was the tagline. I also think the RT score accurately reflects the genuine reaction to it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    It's not a good, but not because of the cast. The storytelling is tiring, the third act a CGI bore, and it tries way to hard to stay close to the original without being its own thing.

Kate McKinnon is a treasure though.
    All true... except the McKinnon bit.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    Also, I know we just concluded one kerfuffle and I'd hate to ignite another, but: wow. I get that everyone's sense of humour varies and all. It's just...the idea of someone sitting plain-faced through this entire movie almost defies belief. Nary a chuckle nor a chortle?!
    Making no judgement about Ghostbusters 2016 here, but I dont think thats far fetched. Theres PLENTY of beloved comedies that dont make me laugh. Dumb and Dumber is about a 2 smile film for me. Something About Mary, zero.

Edit: the RT score seemed to reflect my perception of the films reception. Maybe a smidge high at 78, i wouldve guessed about 70.

- - - - -
    Wait, where are you guys seeing these numbers?

I load the page and it says 72% for everybody, and 59% for top critics (which makes more sense to me)

Yeah, 72 was what my comment was based on.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Making no judgement about Ghostbusters 2016 here, but I dont think thats far fetched. Theres PLENTY of beloved comedies that dont make me laugh. Dumb and Dumber is about a 2 smile film for me. Something About Mary, zero.
    My wording — "almost defies belief" — was not meant to convey an actual denial of the possibility that someone might sit through the entire movie and never laugh. I thought McKinnon and Hemsworth were hilarious and the funniest parts of the movie, so I was just expressing my own enthusiasm while also confirming that there wasn't any sign of mirth whatsoever (like, say, a half-suppressed laugh of some kind).

Now that you have me thinking about it, I'm realizing that I actually don't think I've sought out a comedy that didn't make me laugh at least once. I can't think of a single example of a no-laugh situation. The closest instance would be…23 Jump Street, maybe? Even that seems like a bad example, though, because I do recall laughing at several points.
    Last edited by Gittes; 10-12-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Gittes (view post)
    I breezed past the first part of your post, which, looking at it now, I don't understand. My question to you presented two choices and your answer is "NO"? So, it was neither? I was just wondering if it was just an FYI (like, "hey, did you notice this?") or if you have a specific problem with the title? You seemed to be saying that the title represents a kind of damage control maneuver on Sony's part, but I don't think that's the case.

I mean, did you check out the link Spinal posted? That title was always part of the game-plan, so it wasn't a last-minute change — and even if it had been, that's no big deal, right?
    I meant it as a hey did you notice this? No big deal. A little weird to me. But yes, a little bit of damage control. That's the way I saw it.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This should have been the movie

Finally saw this.

Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones >>(a hundred more greater than symbols)>>McCarthy and Wiig.

I laughed out loud at several places and got a bit choked up when Wiig went to save her friend. Genuinely entertaining stuff.

[
    ]

I'm bummed I missed it in 3D, because I heard it was used to outstanding effect. Has anyone seen the DC? I wanted to go theatrical first since DC is like 134 minutes.

Yeah, I rented the DC when I rewatched it. The most significant things cut were Justin Kirk as Wiig's boyfriend, and a minor plot point where they get bad press because Wiig assaults a guy harassing and insulting them (this actually explains why they randomly separated in the third act of the theatrical cut). Other than that it's just longer takes of the same jokes, with more funny banter.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    (this actually explains why they randomly separated in the third act of the theatrical cut).
    That was the most blatant wtf is happening thing. Huh? When did they split? Was i not paying attention?

This was painful.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Dan Akroyd
    "[Ghostbusters] made a lot of money around the world but just cost too much, making it economically not feasible to do another one. So that’s too bad. The director, he spent too much on it. He didn’t shoot scenes we suggested to him and several scenes that were going to be needed and he said, ‘Nah, we don’t need them.’ Then we tested the movie and they needed them and he had to go back. About $30 to $40-million in reshoots. So he will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon."
    Hah

Movies are a terrible business.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones >>(a hundred more greater than symbols)>>McCarthy and Wiig.
    I just wanted to second this. Other than that it falls under the it exists category.

As for the all female controversy. (I'm still sad this was a thing, but not shocked by it because I know my fellow man.) A good script and a competent director is all a movie needs to be good. It can be all men, it can be all female, it can be whitewashed to heck, it can have an all black cast, a bunch of gays, a bunch of foreign speaking people, it can be all animals (March of the Penguins). As long as ii tells a good story, I'm down. Unfortunately this movie didn't have the luxury of having a good script or a competent director.

Sorry for the super late rant on a subject that was probably talked to death already. Also I realize I went way beyond my original intention of giving props to McKinnon and Jones.
    Last edited by Rico; 06-08-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    - Dan Ackroyd drove the production of this movie. He pushed for another sequel for years and years and it didn't happen because Bill Murray refused to do it.
    I might have been willing to snap my own arm off if it meant a Ghostbusters 3 with the original cast back when they were still youngish. I'm not sure if Murray ever said why he didn't want to do another movie, but I could understand it if he didn't want to tarnish the legacy of the original movie and his character Peter Venkman, an (or perhaps the) iconic role of his career. After Ghostbusters II was mostly panned they knew they couldn't do that again. I still liked that movie, but it doesn't have the magic of the original and feels like a huge cash grab. It's tough living up to past glory.

Certainly the world of Ghostbustes is worth exploring further even with a completely new cast. This reboot just didn't have the creativity.

Here I am again posting in a thread I avoided, about a movie I didn't like, and really there are about 20 more posts I could comment on. I should really stop because I'm high as f**k right now.

Haven't seen the movie, but I guarantee that is 1000 times less funny.

Seem to remember The Phantom Menace one having some insight.

I clicked Yay because I laughed but it's a bad movie.

The only reason I watched it is because I re-watched the two Ghostbusters movies because of a Really That Good video about the original which argued it was the unique case of a strange, poorly structured, at times random as fuck movie that worked because of its creativity, originality and specially its themes... which are elements that this one completely lacks. What it does have that the original also had in spades is chemistry between the leads. McKinnon's completely bizarre character got 90% of my laughs, and the other 10% were Leslie Jones one-liners. I feel that the line where Jones says that while she's not a scientist she has extensive knowledge of the city of New York must have been a jab at the original, where there's no reason why Winston is on the team besides tokenism.

What this movie does wrong is... what does it really want to be? A reboot or a remake? I mean, if you're gonna have the entire original cast doing cameos they might as well have set it in the same universe, which certainly would have made the fans happier. Either way, they reference the original in the worst possible way - by using the "cross the streams" resolve and all the good lines in a jokey, derogatory way. They should just have had the original Ghostbusters as characters passing the torch.

To make it simple, the movie is bad because the third act is garbage and some jokes are cringe-worthy. But Ghostbusters II is just as bad and it's still a Yay movie in my book because, like this one, it delivers some great laughs here and there.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 01-27-2018 at 08:09 AM.

That Honest Trailer actually makes a very good point - the original had Dana and Winston playing straight characters to the others with their comedic antics. This movie has no straight characters. Even the government agents are quirky as fuck.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345