Thread: Orange is the New Black (Season 4)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This season really grabbed me after being underwhelmed by seasons 2 & 3. I felt a strong sense of direction and purpose. Cutting down focus on Piper was a wise move, as was limiting flashbacks to episodes where they are narratively useful.

I also feel like they weren't pulling their punches. This season had some real stakes, and both the physically and psychological violence hit hard. (Baby mouse... brrrrrrr.

The penultimate episode knocked me on my butt. The last episode kicked me when I was down. But the last five seconds made me yell "STOP. STOP IT." And then I cried for several minutes and I honestly can't remember the last time a show brought me to tears.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    The penultimate episode knocked me on my butt. The last episode kicked me when I was down. But the last five seconds made me yell "STOP. STOP IT." And then I cried for several minutes and I honestly can't remember the last time a show brought me to tears.
    Same here. Those last two episodes felt like the big payoff, not just for this season, but for the series as a whole. Particularly after having come to know the characters so well.

Oh, and about those last 5 seconds? [
    ]

Read the link I posted in my previous post. And have the tissues handy.
    Last edited by Russ; 07-03-2016 at 04:32 PM.

I'll have to finish this season they way you guys are talking about it. Who knows, maybe it can snag me again.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'll have to finish this season they way you guys are talking about it. Who knows, maybe it can snag me again.
    Believe me, you are going to want to watch the entirety of Season 4 of Orange is the New Black. Simply because those last two episodes are game-changers. I would put those up against the last two episodes of Game of Thrones (apples and oranges, I know). As phenomenal as those last two episodes of GoT were, I have to give the slight edge to Orange. All I know is, we're in a new Golden Age of television, and it's real and it's spectacular.

WOW, okay I will. (He said as though he had a choice, because wife is still into it.)

I hung around for THAT? That carried zero emotional weight. If she fell against a wall it wouldve been more impactful but that?? Man that felt cheap and exploitive. I felt nothing off of that moment. Nothing. Maybe just anger at weak writing. Sorry, but there are half a dozen better angles they couldve easily gone.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I hung around for THAT? That carried zero emotional weight. If she fell against a wall it wouldve been more impactful but that?? Man that felt cheap and exploitive. I felt nothing off of that moment. Nothing. Maybe just anger at weak writing. Sorry, but there are half a dozen better angles they couldve easily gone.
    Skitch, I appreciate your feedback and I think I understand your reaction.

The entire season was so obviously highly politicized that it couldn't help but be divided on certain drawn lines. What I don't understand is when you say "that carried zero emotional weight'.

Use spoilers if you have to, but could you explain that reaction for me?