View Poll Results: Swiss Army Man

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

10 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: Swiss Army Man - Daniel Kwan/Daniel Scheinert (DANIELS)

Swiss Army Man - Daniel Kwan/Daniel Scheinert (DANIELS)

- - - - -
    The premise to this sounds so awfully stupid (Weekend at Bernie's Redux?) but I am a big fan of both Dano and Radcliffe and it received such good buzz, I'm sorta dying to see it now.

Plus this weird promo image caught my eye: []
    Last edited by Irish; 07-02-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The premise to this sounds so awfully stupid (Weekend at Bernie's Redux?) but I am a big fan of both Dano and Radcliffe and it received such good buzz, I'm sorta dying to see it now.
    Yeah, that description you have in parenthesis doesn't even begin to do this movie justice. This was just a brilliantly magical experience, The Tree of Life for the weird and the awkward. And I wrote a pretty in-depth analysis on this one, as it effected me quite a bit and has been on my mind ever since (some spoilers inbound): http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2016/07/swiss-army-man.html

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    As of right now, this stands as my favorite movie of 2016. Can somebody tell me why people walked out of this at Sundance? Sure, it has a juvenile sense of humor, but it never comes off as pretentious. It’s organic to the themes of the film, which serve as a commentary about young adults with social awkwardness or a fair share of quirks. They’re also reinforced by a very layered protagonist, practical use of props and effects, creative shot compositions, and an ethereal acapella score. It’s a unique, hilarious, relatable and emotionally strong coming-of-age film that can be interpreted and watched in a variety of ways, and I look forward to the next time I see it.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    As of right now, this stands as my favorite movie of 2016. Can somebody tell me why people walked out of this at Sundance?
    The only thing I can imagine is people not being able to get past all the fart jokes early on, and writing the movie off before even really giving it a chance. Hell, I'm sorta baffled at just the sheer amount of people in general (film buffs included) who are writing this off without even giving it a chance at all, because on the outset it looks like a stupid, silly, artsy Weekend at Bernie's, which is such a damn shame, 'cause this is such a deep and compelling movie that film buffs especially would come away having so much to dissect and love about this film (though I can admittedly see this film's deeper themes getting lost on the general public, not that there's not plenty left there to enjoy regardless).

That was a strange movie. Also touching, funny and sporting a great soundtrack.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Got to about 20 minutes and gave up. Not. My. Thing.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    The only thing I can imagine is people not being able to get past all the fart jokes early on, .
    This is what actually got me into the movie. Perfect opening.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Heh, this was something else. I loved it.

New eBay commercial uses the song Montage from this soundtrack and it reminded me how much I love everything about this movie. I only wish more people had given it a chance.