View Poll Results: The Neon Demon

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

13 65.00%
  • Nay

7 35.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn)

The Neon Demon (Nicolas Winding Refn)

THE NEON DEMON

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

imdb

So yeah, this was definitely more Only God Forgives than it was Drive, but I think I liked it a lot more than OGF? Even though I'm pretty sure that I didn't quite understand all of it? lol, in any event, this is one where I'll definitely be looking forward to reading and watching people's dissections on it.

This is an absolutely fucking beautiful and incredibly constructed piece of trash. Visuals alone make me want to recommend it to anyone who likes film despite moments that made question why I was still in the theater and hadn't yet walked out. Satisfying, but Refn's lack of subtlety is once again his undoing.

edit: retracting my trash comment. this movie is nuts and I think it knows it.
    Last edited by Mal; 06-25-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Even a bad NWR movie is better than most things in the world. Looking forward to this.

Millennial Showgirls. I mean that as high praise.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Also the Saint Lauren parody monogram in the opening credits is one of the most auteur things I've seen a filmmaker do.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If it's more like Only God Forgives than Drive, this is not a good movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If it's more like Only God Forgives than Drive, this is not a good movie.
    Not an accurate statement in the least. :P

So this is another movie that I haven't really been able to stop thinking about since seeing it, and so I decided to check it out again, seeing as it's its last night in theaters here. And, yeah, a second viewing definitely helped me fully appreciate this one. Absolutely beautiful filmmaking, this one has grown to be one of my favorites of the year so far.

This is one of the most bewildering viewing experiences for me in some time. There exists such emphasized dramatic pauses between every line reading in the first 50 minutes that it becomes almost comical. The artificiality of the whole affair is overplayed, and if Refn is trying to play with Showgirls's idea that the untalented are equally viable performers, then maybe I can accept the conceit of DRAMA that underscores every action. There's never a clear sense of whether Fanning is legitimately talented or if it's just a body type--and while that blurring might be intentional, it needs to say about that blurring.

That said, so much of this film plays like Mulholland Dr.-lite, but it lacks the finesse and, indeed, the humor, that's ingrained in Lynch's film to help it achieve the absurdism elsewhere. The crosscutting masturbation sequence played like the most obvious juvenilia put on screen. And while Fanning's fate is interestingly conveyed, everything in the coda was ART writ large.

When this was in the theatres I was remiss that I chose to see Finding Dory over this. Now I'm not so sure I made the wrong choice.

I'd be excited to see where Refn goes next if Refn is anchored to someone else's story to reign in his worst tendencies. He's still an amazing director. But this is vapid and annoying to the extreme.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I enjoyed it. Probably falls between Mulholland Dr and Showgirls for me on the spectrum. Has Refn ever mentioned Kenneth Anger as an influence? Because I can totally see that. I know he's a big Jodorowsky fan. Probably Brian De Palma, too.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

- - - - -
    Voted nay even though I genuinely enjoyed about half of it because the entire climax felt like an afterthought.

Random thoughts:

- I wouldn't call Refn a great filmmaker, because filmmaking lives in camera moves and edits. Refn cares less about that than he does perfect compositions, and Neon Demon is a flip book of 150,000 perfectly composed still photographs.

- At this point, I think it's a mistake to look for any meaning, deep over otherwise, in this guy's work. His films have a "frustrated art director at Los Angeles Magazine" quality to them. That isn't necessarily bad, but who looks for subtext in those pages?

- The Showgirls comparison is misguided. To make it, you have to believe it's sensible to contrast Joe Eszterhas agains Refn & Co. Refn is careful to the point of being anal, too, so you'd have to believe he'd intentionally make a performatively bad movie for some larger purpose (something I never thought even Ezterhas was capable of).

- The other thing I've noticed: Refn, as "filmmaker," tends to choose one technique per film and stick to it. In Drive, he was all about wide angle lenses. In Neon Demon, it's tracking shots.
    Last edited by Irish; 12-08-2016 at 02:04 AM.

Meanwhile, this has silently slipped into my #1 spot for the year. I sorta love every single thing about this movie.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Meanwhile, this has silently slipped into my #1 spot for the year. I sorta love every single thing about this movie.
    Honestly for the first hour and a half I kept shaking my head in admiration and disbelief and going, "Sheeeeeeeesh, dude, goddamn" because every shot was so beautiful. I felt like I could have pulled any frame down from the screen, hung it on the wall, and had a piece of wonder in my living room.

So I enjoyed it on that level -- as if it were a museum piece.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Honestly for the first hour and a half I kept shaking my head in admiration and disbelief and going, "Sheeeeeeeesh, dude, goddamn" because every shot was so beautiful. I felt like I could have pulled any frame down from the screen, hung it on the wall, and had a piece of wonder in my living room.

So I enjoyed it on that level -- as if it were a museum piece.
    That's partly why I think the movie works so well on the whole, though. Because considering the subject matter, the fact that so much of this movie is style over substance actually really compliments the film in a way that doesn't always work out in other such "style over substance" sorta films. I don't disagree with you when you say that there's no point looking for too much deeper meaning in this film, as upon reflection, it really is pretty surface level stuff. (I know I expressed confusion earlier in the thread, like I was digging for something deeper there, but a couple revisits and some mulling over really showed me that, no, it's all pretty much right there staring you in the face, lol.) But this is precisely the sorta trashy movie that filmed in a more traditional manner (or really, any other way at all) would easily go discarded and forgotten, but Refn's execution of style and precision that goes hand in hand with the topic matter of the film itself elevates it to a level that other similar trashy films can't even fathom of attaining. This movie is respectable trash, and hearing the director talk about it only makes me appreciate it and what he was trying to achieve with this movie all the more, and I fucking loved every second of it. XD

Refn continues to be the most frustrating director out there, because he's so good at constructing images and potential storylines, but at the same time, gets too caught up in his own images. This would play better at background imagery at a bar or as an art show rather than an actual movie.

I'm totally open to people loving this movie, but it took me four sit-downs to watch the whole thing, and even then I was squirming around. If I were in the theater, I may very well have walked out.

Don't know if he'll ever match Drive.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    If I were in the theater, I may very well have walked out.
    I dunno, I saw it in the theater and rather loved the immersive audio / visual experience (even if I don't exactly love the film overall). I do have a high threshold for directors that seem to smuggle in style from experimental filmmakers and, like I said before, I suspect Refn is a big Kenneth Anger fan.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I suspect Refn is a big Kenneth Anger fan.
    The scorpion jacket in Drive would suggest that.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I might have to sit on this and maybe even watch it again, but I thought this was a goddamn masterpiece. The Showgirls comparison is apt as far as what kind of world it's subtly satirizing, but I think you guys are mistaken when you look for "deeper meanings". It's not a thesis film. It's more akin to early Dario Argento on drugs. What I've just seen is a strange, subversive Horror film about cannibalism with some really quirky humor. Its descent into pure madness is more surprising and well set up than in any other film I can recall right now.

It's funny that I found myself in the minority in the Jackie thread because I apparently wasn't hip to its dreamlike qualities while finding the dramatic insight into Jaqueline's head kind of bleh. But I had no problems with this species of dream. I'll have a hard time forgetting 80% of the scenes in Neon Demon.

I suppose I can understand appreciating this purely on the level of style. There's some pretty compositions. But as a narrative, this is one of the more inane things I've seen in recent memory. Man, I feel like Showgirls had a more sophisticated take on competitive jealousies among hot, young women.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    This movie is about cannibalism, not competitive jealousies, lol.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    This movie is about cannibalism, not competitive jealousies, lol.
    Exactly.

You guys actually think this movie is literally about cannibalism?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

In the 2 years since this released, I'm pretty sure this has actually slipped past La La Land as my favorite from 2016. It's certainly become my favorite from Refn at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast