Thread: Voltron (Season 1)

Voltron (Season 1)

This reboot is really great. I guess I should have expected it to be well done because it's from the Avatar/Korra people, but I didn't expect me to like the characters so much, I guess because I always found the pilots in the original series kind of bland, and usually with these reboots they would tweak a lot about the mythology but keep the essentials of the characters intact (see: the various incarnations of TMNT). Here, they've done the exact opposite. They kept the origin and the premise and goals exactly the same, but tweaked a lot about the characters to make them fleshed out and connect more emotionally. It's already interesting enough to shuffle around their colors, but the huge changes to two of them was even more surprising to me—in a really exciting way.

And I'm only like 4 episodes in!
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Okay, I'll watch it.

I hate that they spoiled an important revelation in one early review.

Never watched any of the original shows, but my gf did and she loved it as a kid so we watched it, and are loving it so far (2 episodes in).

Finished it. Absolutely badass finale. I like how, unlike the original, these guys fight more using the lions mode than the Voltron mode.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Great show. So much of it are familiar tropes, but it's still so refreshing and well written, and the action is badass indeed.

I have no history with Voltron. That being said, througj ep10, this is amazing. That such a silly premise (srsly, try to explain it to someone), it evokes all the emotions. Was the original series this good?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Was the original series this good?
    NO.

Don't even go there.