Thread: American Gods

American Gods

American Gods has been ordered to series, with Brian Fuller involved.

http://www.avclub.com/article/starz-...-series-220945

The book has its problems, but it's such good source material for a TV show. Looking forward to this.

Ian McShane is playing Mr. Wednesday in American Gods.

That is amazing casting.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That is great casting indeed. I'm reading the novel right now and picturing Denis O'Hare in the role. He's probably too young, though.

Gillian Anderson reteaming with Fuller. She's been cast as Media.

Looking great so far.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Oh wow. Forgot this was shooting here.... Might try to get any sort of job on this summer, if no other reason just to be around it and bask in it. Closest thing I came to Hannibal was moving to the side for Mads Mikkelsen walking up some stairs at a pub and not immediately realizing it was him, wearing a tuque and being so smiley. Very un-Lector!

By the way, is Bryan Fuller just fully living in Toronto now? His new Star Trek series is going to be done here too. Maybe Del Toro is subletting his place to him.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

The cast is so great that I might end up enjoying this one more than the book, which I honestly didn't really like.

So the season is finally over (heh heh) and I think this has been a pretty great adaptation. The pilot was really underwhelming, because it indulged in gore that read more Spartacus than Hannibal, but they switched gears really fucking quick. I really like that the show aims for longevity by simply pausing Shadow's journey and exploring all the Gods and their worshipers in more detail. I guess that's obvious since it's the most "fun" aspect of the book, but they've really done a fantastic job with it. Mad Sweeney in particular has been served really well by this treatment. I also really, really like that we get to spend more time with Laura from her own perspective, instead of just Shadow's perception of her.

Ian McShane is magic in this role.
    Movie Theater Diary

Producer
    As someone who hasn't read the book, I get much less invested in the main plot thread than I do about Laura Moon. I really liked Emily Browning in ASoUE but haven't expected her to be the best thing about this show, by quite a margin. Funny enough favorite episodes aren't about the gods very much. My favorite is the penultimate episode, and before that, Browning's backstory/depression one.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I don't think you can separate the story of the Gods from the story of the people who worship them, which is sort of the point of this story. The penultimate episode was the best episode, but I do consider Essie MacGowan's story a part of a story about Mad Sweeney and how leprechauns came to America. That the show took that vignette from the book and spent an entire episode telling it is what makes me like this show so much.

When I heard that it's only going to be eight episodes, I really expected them to have some kind of arc that will be completed for the first season, and begin something else in the second, with sprinkles of Gods' stories throughout. I didn't expect them to just slow down the book's story and take pauses to spend whole episodes on vignettes like they've been doing. It's a pleasant surprise and I believe the perfect way to adapt the book.
    Movie Theater Diary

I think I might watch this based on your recommendation. The novel frustrated me because I was a fan of the concept, the characters and the world building (I'd actually read the spin-off Anansi Boys a few years back and enjoyed it) but the storyline seemed tepid and strangely uninvolving. So if the show expands what I liked about the book it might win me over.

Agreed that the penultimate episode was the strongest (though I'm also partial to Laura's backstory from episode 4), as Fuller and company make smart casting choices, assigning Browning a second role that enables the energy between her and Pablo Schreiber to resonate across multiple narratives. The show is best when it tracks between the meanwhile narratives in ways that feel like more than mere world-building, and the scaffolding here links these two in interesting ways. In many ways so far, I'm finding their interactions to the lifeline of the series, as they have a palpable chemistry in their interplay.

Talked with friends as we marathoned the early episodes last week, and they mentioned that Fuller is shooting for 5 seasons--that's impressive dedication to an arc when Fuller has seldom if ever gotten more than three seasons to work with--but I'm pleased with how open-ended he chose to make this first season. Love the two episodes mentioned above in particular.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Fuller and Green both just quit the show over a budget dispute. What the fuuuuuuuck.

Asking $10MM per ep is definitely nuts, though. That's more than Stranger Things money and they're not attracting anywhere close to Stranger Things eyeballs.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Is now the wrong time to point out that Bryan Fuller might be a bit of a prima donna and a dick? 'Cause I still resent him bolting from "Star Trek."

I mean I love his work and am sure it's a struggle to balance your desires with your studio's, but the one constant factor on all his failed projects is Bryan Fuller. Makes ya think.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    I mean I love his work and am sure it's a struggle to balance your desires with your studio's, but the one constant factor on all his failed projects is Bryan Fuller. Makes ya think.

Something about your post made me think they did it on purpose? Like, who goes in and demands $10 million per for a show like "American Gods"? That's like Baz Luhrman "Get Down" money and nobody let him get away with it, either.

So maybe the made a ridiculous demand as a way out of the deal.

Fuller and Green were said to have been pushing for an increase to the series’ budget for season two. Sources close to the production said that the per-episode budget for “American Gods” season two already nearly $10 million.
    It actually sounds like they already got approved for $10MM/ep and they asked for more.

Just to compare, the budget for GOT's final season is $15MM per ep.
    Movie Theater Diary

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    It's for the best if he's moving onto Hannibal season 4.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I really dug Season 1, and yes Mad Sweeney's back story episode was fantastic. Gillian Anderson as Media was my favorite aspect, plus Orlando Jones and others.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Hm! Neil Gaiman is going to be showrunner of season 2.
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Hm! Neil Gaiman is going to be showrunner of season 2.
    As cool as it sounds, he already denied it:

Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Come on, what is up with this dude? Hold on to one job, ffs.

Bryan Fuller has exited as showrunner of Apple’s upcoming reboot of Steven Spielberg’s Amazing Stories over creative differences.
    http://deadline.com/2018/02/amazing-...es-1202280670/
    Movie Theater Diary

If making compromises is such a big deal for him maybe he should just write goddamn books.