View Poll Results: X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer)

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

10 47.62%
  • Nay

11 52.38%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I think there's real talks about making the next movie set in the cosmos.
    Add the Brood, but instead of having it be Brood, just do a Xenomorph crossover. X-Men VS. Aliens

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I had a vague feeling of disinterest, thinking I was done with the X-Men. Well, it was unexpectedly thrilling and memorable to reconnect with these fellas.
    Yeah, that's where I ended up.

I suppose there is still enough nostalgic value for me in the brand (including these movies, which take me as far back as high school) that I still enjoyed just spending time with these characters again. It's not a great movie, and the many messy problems have been well articulated throughout the thread, but I will also agree with Peng in that, even given my reservations with him as a director in general, Bryan Singer is still more accomplished than most who take up these Marvel franchise projects and I appreciate his (however little of it there is) style vis a vis say the Russo Bros (for all of the great action choreography in the Captain America films, I much prefer the way Singer films e.g. the Weapon X sequence).

I had fun. But! I also agree with Ezee E about the diminishing returns. I was thinking about that a few times during the film. So it didn't really change how I felt about the franchise overall, which is to say, it still absolutely needs new blood and a new direction. Get some new creative on it, take it into outer space, fuck it just go wild, maybe they'll cook up something genuinely great. Maybe not, I dunno.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

More like X-Men: First Draft.

As in, this whole movie feels like someone's first draft, and no one bothered to polish the dialogue or refine the characters. Everyone fills familiar roles and says exactly what the plot requires them to say in the most forthright manner possible. In spite of an A+ cast, I found the performances wooden, and paired with the purely functional dialogue, this movie had the feeling of a 90s Saturday morning teen show. A veneer of amateurism and falsity over the whole thing. The Quicksilver stuff definitely works, and the ending is admittedly pretty rousing, but there's a tackiness to everything else, including most of the VFX. This movie was clearly put together too quickly, probably intending to capitalize on the global success of Days of Future Past. The result is a commercial product that feels rushed to market without the proper QC. Next time, if there really must be another, let the thing marinate for a damn second.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

- - - - -
    I found this terrifically boring.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-03-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Meh

You're forgiven for not knowing who Jubilee was in the movie:

I doubt if she was even in it for five seconds total, and honestly can't remember if she even said anything or if her name was even mentioned. The only reason we really even know it's her is because of the trademark yellow jacket that she's known for wearing, though.

Anytime I start liking these movies too much, I just rewatch the first season of the 90s animated series to remind myself how disappointing the film series is.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I wonder if we'll hear anything from comic con about the future of the X-men franchise.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wow, what a mess. I didn't think this was a whole lot better than X3. Too many ideas jumbled together, dull villain, clumsy and contrived character motivations, and altogether irrelevant characters. Even potentially cool scenes [
    ] felt shoehorned in, poorly choreographed, and flaccidly edited. The saving grace was the Quicksilver scene.

First Class
    X2
    DOFP
    X1
    The Wolverine
    Apocalypse
    X3
    Last edited by Melville; 11-07-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Wow, what a mess. I didn't think this was a whole lot better than X3. Too many ideas jumbled together, dull villain, clumsy and contrived character motivations, and altogether irrelevant characters. Even potentially cool scenes [
    ] felt shoehorned in, poorly choreographed, and flaccidly edited. The saving grace was the Quicksilver scene.

First Class
    X2
    DOFP
    X1
    The Wolverine
    Apocalypse
    X3
    And X-men Origins: Wolverine being ranked dead last correct?

And X-men Origins: Wolverine being ranked dead last correct?
    Never saw that one. But morbid curiosity is making me want to watch it to see its treatment of the Wolverine-throughout-20th-century-history idea, which had the potential to be great.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

About halfway through this and having a hard time believing how bad it is.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Wow, the writing for these things has really gone down the drain. I couldn't believe how supremely stupid the dialogue was. I'm not expecting Mamet or Tarantino, but come on.

Quicksilver's signature scene is the best bit, and that's just a remake of the scene they already did in the last one. Apocalypse is as powerful as any given scene needs him to be. He either can kill people instantly with magic sand or he can't. Get it straight, movie.

Also, Storm never uses her powers once. And why is Nightcrawler roaring at the end? Like, roaring is not a Nightcrawler thing to do, right?

1. X2
    2. Days of Future Past
    3. Logan
    4. Deadpool
    5. X-Men
    6. First Class
    7. The Wolverine
    8. Apocalypse
    9. The Last Stand
    10. Wolverine: Origins

What was the t-shirt Quicksilver was wearing on the scene where he's on the basement playing Pac-Man?

EDIT: It was this one.

Last edited by Grouchy; 01-28-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Despite its faults, I liked this movie. Oscar Isaac was completely wasted, though, and J-Law has not been good as Mystique since First Class. I do anticipate the next film, but only if there is more Jubilee.

PS: Quicksilver is the best thing about the new films. Also I still need to see The Wolverine.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Don't ask me why....

But this was on FX yesterday... and I caught the opening. They free fall inside the pyramid for 36 seconds.

I calculated that's over 6000 meters or 20,000 feet, almost 4 miles they would have have to dug to make that tomb.

I suppose if Apocalypse made the pyramids, that would be possible, but why would he build that kind of trap in his own pyramid?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Don't ask me why....

But this was on FX yesterday... and I caught the opening. They free fall inside the pyramid for 36 seconds.

I calculated that's over 6000 meters or 20,000 feet, almost 4 miles they would have have to dug to make that tomb.

I suppose if Apocalypse made the pyramids, that would be possible, but why would he build that kind of trap in his own pyramid?
    This observation is worthy of Roger Ebert, who once calculated how fast Brendan Fraser had to be running to match pace with the rising sun.

Kudos.

Anyone read this interview? This is so bizarre.

Quote Quoting Olivia Munn
    Instead of going to a doctor in Montreal, which is a very high-level, working city, he said he had to go to L.A. And he was gone for about 10 days is my recollection. And he said, “Continue. Keep filming.” We’d be on set, I remember there’s a big scene that we’d have, and we’d come back from lunch and then one of Bryan’s assistants would come up and show us a cell phone with a text message on it.

And he texted to the actors, “Hey guys. I’m busy right now. But just go ahead and start filming without me.” And we’d be like, “OK.” And I never thought any of it was normal, but I didn’t realize that other people also thought it wasn’t normal. And the other people who thought it wasn’t normal would be people at high levels, people who make decisions on whether to hire this person.
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/b...ng-1234591813/

- - - - -
    Yeah. I saw that. It's fucking weird.

Weirder still is that Singer keeps getting hired, despite his erratic history (and all the rumors / lawsuits around him).

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yeah. I saw that. It's fucking weird.

Weirder still is that Singer keeps getting hired, despite his erratic history (and all the rumors / lawsuits around him).
    Like... did ANY producer walk on set and wonder... "where's Bryan at?"

Or did they just get complacent based on the success of Days of Future Past and other films?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123