View Poll Results: Captain America: Civil War (Anthony Russo, Joe Russo)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

18 66.67%
  • Nay

9 33.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain America: Civil War (Anthony Russo, Joe Russo)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Paul Rudd is just the best.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    a lumpy heap of Things That Happen.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

I don't know why this is so funny.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Speaking of cities, I assume this didn't happen anywhere else, but my crowd went crazy for the "Where you from, kid?" "Queens." "Brooklyn." exchange. It probably got a bigger cheer than anything else in the movie. That put a huge smile on my face.
    happened where i saw it too, but of course i saw it in brooklyn

Loved this, really fun, surprisingly emotionally effective, etc.

But for the record Cap has zero chemistry with his ex-girlfriend's niece which is probably for the best, because what. Let's quietly drop that thread, okay?
    ...and the milk's in me.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    But for the record Cap has zero chemistry with his ex-girlfriend's niece which is probably for the best, because what. Let's quietly drop that thread, okay?
    I really liked things like their flirty hallway interaction in Winter Soldier, but yeah, something was definitely missing this time around.

Their kiss did cause one of the funniest moments in the movie with its onlookers though.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Their kiss did cause one of the funniest moments in the movie with its onlookers though.
    Some of the best visual and verbal gags of the film was with those three huge men in that tiny little car.

Yeah, the chemistry was off for the love sub-sub-sub-plot. Tony had better chemistry with his own thinking-of-Pepper face than those two. It's like they tore through some dialogue and then realized simultaneously that the script said to kiss now, then thought "Well, okay, that's out of nowhere but dammit I'm a professional" and went for it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The cutaway joke to Bucky and Falcon almost didn't work for me because of how awkward that kiss was. Still pretty funny, though.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I liked how awkward it was. Showed that Cap is still kind of a dork.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I just got RIGHT NOW that Cap literally broke Tony's heart.

...and the milk's in me.

Glen Weldon from the Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast made the hilarious comment in their latest ep that the kiss was so out of nowhere that you could feel the meeting where Hollywood execs are sweating bullets and going, "Hey, uh, there's a lot of really longing looks between Cap and Bucky in this movie. Can we, like, jam his face in some woman's face and just mush it in there somewhere?"
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Voted "yay" even though most of this movie is a huge clusterfuck.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-26-2016 at 12:49 AM.

Lol at Daniel Bruhl as a total nobody.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Lol at Daniel Bruhl as a total nobody.
    Lol at pretty much all of it.

No worries irish. I'm with you. I had mostly the same issues. Number 8 sort of mimicked some of yours when he said that perhaps the movie would have been more focused if it had been captain vs iron man and no one else. Its spectacle is epic, but I honestly stopped caring about why this was happening in the first place.

Edit: but i do think winter soldier was the opposite and got its themes across just fine.
    Last edited by Morris Schæffer; 05-15-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Voted "yay" even though most of this movie is a huge clusterfuck.

- I kept waiting for Cap to deliver a single line that would perfectly sum up his position. Ya know, something I could believe in and get behind. Like in Winter Soldier when he tells Nick Fury, "You're holding a gun to the world's head." Or in Ultron when he tells Tony that "every time somebody tries to stop a war before it starts, innocent people die." But it never happens.

- Cap's position isn't clearly laid out. This makes the big airport fight rootless. It also makes the idea of anybody choosing a "side" feel perfunctory. Why was anybody with Cap? I couldn't tell.

- The biggest laugh in the movie, for me, is when the US Secretary of State proposes a team of mostly US citizens bend a knee to the United Nations. That's how you know we're operating in a realm of pure fantasy. Second biggest: That Captain America's position could mostly be boiled down to "Yeah, fuck the UN."

- It felt like there were too many protagonists and simultaneously none at all. This movie could have just as easily been called Iron Man 4 or Avengers 3. At times, it certainly seems like this is just as much Tony's story as it is Steve's (or even T'Challa's). This is the first blockbuster movie I've seen where the supposed lead plays more as a supporting character. (After Winter Soldier and now Civil War, it's pretty clear that Disney doesn't trust Chris Evans at all.)

- I liked all the themes and subtext -- where does the Avenger's authority come from, anyway? And how much responsibility do they hold? -- but this movie, like Winter Soldier, brushes up against big ideas and doesn't explore them, much less resolve them. The way the action contradicted those themes was particularly gutless, though. Scarlett Witch accidentally causes collateral damage. Vision accidentally injures War Machine. Bucky killed people, but he was brainwashed at the time, so no harm no foul? So much for personal "responsibility" and everything the movie tries to say in the dialogue.

- Holy shit, why did it take two and a half hours to pay off on Zillo/Zima/Brillo/Obscure-Russian-Guy's plot? I mean, that was a good story at the end and all but Jesus. And why did they get Alfre Woodard to perform a 20 second monologue, but fill that role, the narratively crucial role, with a total nobody?

- Meanwhile: This was hands down the best performance I've seen Downey give in the last decade. Nearly every big emotional beat comes off because of him. It also unintentionally causes a problem, because what's the movie's title again?

- T'Challa and Spider-man were cool but holy shit Marvel needs to stop insert full blown ads into its movies. Yeah, we get it. There will be more of these. Kinda got that clue after the first dozen sequels and spin-offs. You don't have to keep reminding us.
    I think I agree with most of this, but I don't know the characters well enough to be sure. I haven't even seen Ultron or Winter Soldier yet, because I really don't care that much and am not a fan of comic book movies. So in part it was interesting enough where I could follow the story and all the characters, but also it was a bit isolating trying to watch it as a stand-alone film (which, it isn't, neccessarily, but could at least pander a bit to that crowd). Better than the Batman v Superman mess, which says a lot, because I do enjoy the bat.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Bucky killed people, but he was brainwashed at the time, so no harm no foul? So much for personal "responsibility" and everything the movie tries to say in the dialogue.
    What really cemented my belief that they're no longer adhering to a normal story structure that makes sense was seeing the emotional consequence of this particular plot point, the one that the movie should be all about, play out in an after credits scene.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah. I agree with most of your criticisms Irish, while still enjoying the film. The only thing I disagree with is I thought T'Challa was well integrated into the film. Spider Man, however, had no place here.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    - The biggest laugh in the movie, for me, is when the US Secretary of State proposes a team of mostly US citizens bend a knee to the United Nations. That's how you know we're operating in a realm of pure fantasy. Second biggest: That Captain America's position could mostly be boiled down to "Yeah, fuck the UN."
    Wait, why is this a fantasy? I thought we knew it was a realm of pure fantasy cuz we were watching a man in a flying metal suit shoot laser beams at another guy who grew 100 times his size. "Fuck the UN" is a pretty damn good reason, IMO.

It felt like there were too many protagonists and simultaneously none at all. This movie could have just as easily been called Iron Man 4 or Avengers 3. At times, it certainly seems like this is just as much Tony's story as it is Steve's (or even T'Challa's). This is the first blockbuster movie I've seen where the supposed lead plays more as a supporting character. (After Winter Soldier and now Civil War, it's pretty clear that Disney doesn't trust Chris Evans at all.)
    Why doesn't Disney trust Chris Evans? I very much doubt that. But yeah, this was more of a prologue to Infinity War than a standalone Cap movie.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    What really cemented my belief that they're no longer adhering to a normal story structure that makes sense was seeing the emotional consequence of this particular plot point, the one that the movie should be all about, play out in an after credits scene.
    Good point. It was really a ridiculous decision to relegate it to a place where half the theater didn't even see it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

This was fun but definitely enjoyed The Winter Soldiet more.

Very confused why Black Panther had to be CGI most of the time, even in non-action scenes.

Loved Spider-Man. Had some great lines. My favorite of which was his quip on Cap's shield - "that thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all!"
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Very confused why Black Panther had to be CGI most of the time, even in non-action scenes.
    Wha...? He was not CGI even in the action scenes. Or is this referring to something specific?

Movie Theater Diary

Weird. I thought he looked very CGI. I'll show Jen the pics too because we were both talking about how he seemed off.

Oh and I'm glad there's now a mini internet phenomenon about how Sebastoan Stan looks like ESB-era Mark Hamill. It's all I can see, and I thought I was the only one.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    They definitely enhanced Panther's costume and eyes in post for at least some of it. I even saw some BTS B-roll footage (possibly from the re-shoots) where he has CG reference markers and bands on his face, limbs and torso.

In the final film he definitely appears less bulky and more sleek than the set photos above. More details on the mask and less visible seams in the costume too.

Not the most perfect visual comparison but, the suit I think is practical:
    []

and the one that definitely looks CG-assisted:[]
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 05-18-2016 at 01:02 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

If they ever need flashbacks to a young Luke and they don't use Stan, it's pretty much an instant fail.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast