View Poll Results: EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay!!

18 78.26%
  • Nay!!

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everybody Wants Some!! (Richard Linklater)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

Everybody Wants Some!! (Richard Linklater)

I don't know what to say other than it's so perfect it hurts.

The sudden realization it was probably going to end 2-3 minutes before it did gutted me. (With the very thought of it even ending at any point having escaped my transfixed -- almost said "dazed"... -- mind in the moment.)

I could've watched it for a very, very long time. Makes me wish Linklater would delve into something like this for TV, to just let worlds like this exist lucidly in even more thorough pieces, for lengthier amounts of time. Indefinitely, even.

It's either going to hit you or it won't, but I can't even see a devil's advocate to critique it in my own mind it's so overwhelmed after seeing it. Like Dazed, it's not even showily profound or trying to make itself seem high-brow, it just knows the slice of life it is and paints everything in its parameters exhilaratingly well.

Holy shit am I in love with this.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 03-31-2016 at 03:33 AM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I liked it, but man did it test my bro-y patience. I realize this is by design since (similar to The Wolf of Wall Street) you can't quite tell if Linklater is in love with these guys or merely accurately observing their brotastic behavior. Unlike, The Wolf of Wall Street, these guys aren't exactly morally reprehensible, but I did feel like I was hanging out in a sports bar for two hours. This film also made me double down on my belief that "Freaks & Geeks" is one of the finest things ever put on television.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I liked it, but man did it test my bro-y patience. I realize this is by design since (similar to The Wolf of Wall Street) you can't quite tell if Linklater is in love with these guys or merely accurately observing their brotastic behavior. Unlike, The Wolf of Wall Street, these guys aren't exactly morally reprehensible, but I did feel like I was hanging out in a sports bar for two hours.
    I mean, I'm not sure if Linklater cares if you exactly sympathize with anyone other than Jenner's and Deutch's characters, since they're positioned as "the heart" of the film, are the only ones who seem to carry out the most overtly nuanced emotions, and sort of vocally dissect the social conventions they find themselves in. But.. I dunno, I still found even the most overtly dumb characters in it.. pretty endearing? At the very least I liked the characters Ernest James, Wyatt Russell and Temple Baker played quite a bit.

I just don't think because the film fully indulges and even celebrates their indulgences (in allocated screen-time, anyway) as much as it does, say, the well-worn songs on its soundtrack doesn't mean it's inherently an irresponsible thing, because anything else could have felt smugly disingenuous, especially in generally aligning itself with the spirit of Dazed and Confused and how Linklater treated his world there (care-free, consequence-less, brash, and somehow lovable for all of it). It doesn't feel like it's morally cleaning up or applying a ton hindsight to the time (the guys being called "faggots" by a group of girls early on doesn't feel like it's played for anything but to give a sense of the tone of the time through it's more regettably casual vocabulary). I thought the cycling music scenes the guys find themselves in and eventually embracing (even if it's initially just to get girls) was also a nice distillation of the transitional era of the time, arguably the beginning of a bigger cultural tide change away from the dominance of their sort of fratty male behaviour and rock & roll as the be-alls and end-alls of youthful influence in the '80s, showing the characters ponder a world bigger than theirs of baseball, drinking, sex, and weed in fairly hilarious ways.

It's also very possible I just find depictions like this of late '70s / early '80s bro-ish-ness significantly less icky and difficult than those of the 21st century-type. Maybe because I never had to live through it.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    This film also made me double down on my belief that "Freaks & Geeks" is one of the finest things ever put on television.
    Haha yup, my group brought up and agreed on this exactly point walking through the theatre lobby after the movie.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Linklater has some sort of sorcery; even in films of his I downright cant stand I still end up referring to them in conversation because they have some unique something that merits at least one watch.

Edit: No I havent seen this film, but all I need to sell me on watching it is Linklaters name.

I loved every minute of this movie.

It's the movie I'm most looking forward to ATM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

So yeah, the first half of this film was really testing my patience, and I had just about had enough with following this collection of douchebag characters for so long. However, right around the time when the dude hangs the flowers on the door is when this movie finally started to click with me, and from that point on I actually found myself really digging the vibe of the film. Took a while to get there, but this one ended up just winning me over. So a mild yay from me.

Funny, these characters don't bother me as entertainment, although they would certainly annoy me in real life. I am much more irritated by the characters in the Before ... series of films. I think it's because these guys are made to be laughed at, whereas it always strikes me that the Hawke-Delpy characters are intended to be profound somehow.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

It's only Linklater's fourth best movie this decade but that's still pretty good. Certainly enjoyable, but no one here jumps out as being a potential future star like Matthew McConaughey in Dazed and Confused.

Incidentally, everybody in the cast sort of looks like someone famous: the main dude kinda looks like a young Matt Dillon, and then there's Amish Matthew Modine, buff angry Don McKellar, and the dude with a teen stache who looks eerily like a transitioning Scarlett Johansson.

Also, I'm cool with all the dudes looking like they're in their 30s since it makes all the more surprising when [spoiler omitted].
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Funny, these characters don't bother me as entertainment, although they would certainly annoy me in real life. I am much more irritated by the characters in the Before ... series of films. I think it's because these guys are made to be laughed at, whereas it always strikes me that the Hawke-Delpy characters are intended to be profound somehow.
    I'm irritated by your irritation. The Before films are beyond reproach, you unfeeling automaton! (Well, especially the last two are. Well, especially, especially the middle one)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I don't know that you're supposed to laugh at these guys, with the exception of that guy from Detroit. I spent the first 15-20 minutes thinking I was going to hate the movie — because it was so overtly bro-y — but I quickly saw the humanity in them, and really grew to enjoy it. Great film.

Yes, this movie is surprising. Linklater once again proving that, when it comes to slice-of-life, he has the magic touch. While not near his outright best, this may be his most impressive slight of hand. He's never worked with less compelling raw material. The premise is as initially off-putting as it sounds on paper. It's almost as if he dared himself to create something interesting out of characters who would be the most alienating to his Before base. Yet somewhere early in the film, it envelopes you. Like Boyhood, Dazed and other works, it's hard to pinpoint exactly why. They are not perfectly crafted pieces, nor perfectly acted. Nothing is particularly dramatic. The films just feel lived in, and the experience is like being in the room. I see this later becoming recognized as a hidden gem in an already impressive--if somewhat mystifying--oeuvre.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Not quite as captivated by this one as others were. There were two films here. The college relationship film (where Linklater tries to avoid duplicating too much of the Before... series and finale of Boyhood). However, that male/female relationship, and the ease with which these two characters slip in and out of gendered roles for something more transgressively themselves, is the clear winner of the film.

More typical, and thus less interesting, were the interactions between the men when they weren't engaging with women. It still had some Linklater rhythms and digressions but it was also more profoundly banal. There were a couple interesting peaks -- the 30-year-old masquerading as a late-teen -- but the humaneness of the characters was countered by how uninterested I was in their affairs.

The mildest of yays, or the politest of nays.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I can't tell how Richard Linklater feels about hazing.

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    It's also very possible I just find depictions like this of late '70s / early '80s bro-ish-ness significantly less icky and difficult than those of the 21st century-type. Maybe because I never had to live through it.
    I don't think it's much different aside from clothes and soundtrack. At least not from my perspective living through it in the 00s. The male id behavior hasn't changed and for that reason I found this film incredibly icky. I've no doubt this was Linklater's college experience, in that sense it is a fair story to tell and probably an honest one that isn't meant for female viewers to love (Linklater has adoration for days for these guys but respects only one woman enough to bother giving her a name). But it depresses me to see men falling over themselves in love with this group of guys and their male bonding behavior while I watch nameless young women get eye-fucked and actual-fucked and preyed upon and it's all ok because that's just what guys do and girls appear to love it because the men are charming and flattering. Makes me remember how lucky I am to have gotten out of that period of my life intact and having met some guys who were decent and not trying to craft their future "glory days" reel.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    But it depresses me to see men falling over themselves in love with this group of guys and their male bonding behavior while I watch nameless young women get eye-fucked and actual-fucked and preyed upon and it's all ok because that's just what guys do and girls appear to love it because the men are charming and flattering.
    I'm not going to try to convince you to like the movie, but what you describe was not my experience of watching the film. I think these guys are idiots and they're awful. I remember these guys from high school and they were not nice to me. But still, I like the film because it has a lot of authenticity and is able to find a lot of humor in the situation. Nostalgia is a complicated emotion. We look back and say, oh god, were people really like that? And yet there is also affection because we survived it and it informs who we are today. I won't try to read Linklater's mind, but, in my opinion, he offers the viewer plenty of opportunity to think critically about his characters' actions.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

- - - - -
    This was startlingly bad.

But first: I don't think Linklater intended for these guys to be laughed at. He's not that kind of writer. He doesn't do arch, he doesn't do irony. He always tries to be earnest as hell. (He also played baseball in college, and several moments feel lifted straight out of real life.) Second: The Wolf of Wall Street comparison strikes me as, uh, how to put this charitably? Weird? The characters in Wolf behave in a way that informs on them and the period in which they live,. There's an organizing principle to the movie, and by the end it's obvious Scorsese wanted to make a specific point. Wants Some lacks focus, and at no time does anybody do anything that tells you who they are in a way that distinguishes them from any rando on the street.

Other thoughts:

It's okay to do something episodic and plotless, but not formless. This movie features a dozen interchangeable characters in a story that never matters-- not to the characters, and not to the audience. It's a mild and pointless tour of late 70s subcultures, except it has nothing to say about any of them. I mean, FFS, there's a dozen ballplayers in the movie and none of them even talk about baseball (even though they say they do).

I almost admired Linklater's chuzpah as he purposely drew insane comparisons to movies like American Graffiti, Saturday Night Fever, Breaking Away, Animal House, etc. (Like, wow, dude, your writing isn't any good so what in God's name would possess you to remind me of better movies.)

I usually like the way Linklater takes an almost documentarian approach to his fictions, but here he apparently believes that college boys wanting to get drunk and laid is some sort of insight---which needs to be repeated in scene after scene after scene. These characters aren't even interested in each other (I was taken aback that two full scenes go by before anybody bothers to ask what happened to Willoughby).

The most inept part were the title cards dutifully announcing the start of classes. What was the point of that? Nobody in the movie gave a shit about school. They barely acknowledge that they're in college, except as a means to haze younger characters. So why is the audience supposed to care? The title cards were meaningless, a half-assed attempt to employ some form of structure to an otherwise formless script. (You could, I think, literally place every scene in a random order and it would make no difference.)

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    But it depresses me to see men falling over themselves in love with this group of guys and their male bonding behavior while I watch nameless young women get eye-fucked and actual-fucked and preyed upon and it's all ok because that's just what guys do and girls appear to love it because the men are charming and flattering.
    I burst out laughing once I noticed that not a single female character wears a bra in any scene during this movie. I'd ordinarily be tempted to defend some of the choices here -- "boys will be boys" and all that bullshit, and I don't have a problem with singular points of view -- but there's also a line where a movie can take on the attitudes of its characters, and this whole film reeks of a certain disdain.
    Last edited by Irish; 03-02-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I almost admired Linklater's chuzpah as he purposely drew insane comparisons to movies like American Graffiti, Saturday Night Fever, Breaking Away, Animal House, etc. (Like, wow, dude, your writing isn't any good so what in God's name would possess you to remind me of better movies.)
    Completely agree that this felt aimless, and the characters unlikeable, in an uninteresting way. But as far as celebrating repulsive behavior goes, Animal House is much worse. I don't get the love for that movie.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Completely agree that this felt aimless, and the characters unlikeable, in an uninteresting way. But as far as celebrating repulsive behavior goes, Animal House is much worse. I don't get the love for that movie.
    Saturday Night Fever isn't much better.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Saturday Night Fever isn't much better.
    I've somehow never seen it.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

- - - - -
    I think it's unfair to judge Animal House, or something like Saturday Night Fever, by today's mores. Both of those movies contain elements that are either flat out ugly or waaaaaay out there by today's standards, but they were also made 40 years ago. Wants Some came out last year. Those movies were of a time. Wants Some is weirdly regressive.

I liked the characters well enough, but was flabbergasted that Linklater required the audience to embrace these guys in the same way he does. The film very explicitly endorses and even mimics their attitudes. That's what made the overall experience kinda gross.

(Anyway, I was more trying to make the point that if you're setting your thing in 1980, it's probably not a good idea to encourage the viewer to think of famous, lauded movies from that same period. Why Linklater did that is another mystery.)
    Last edited by Irish; 03-02-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Wants Some is weirdly regressive.
    Or, Linklater authentically recreated the time period and had faith in the viewer to have the benefit of distance and to be able to think critically of these characters.

I liked the characters well enough, but was flabbergasted that Linklater required the audience to embrace these guys in the same way he does. The film very explicitly endorses and even mimics their attitudes.
    How does the film do this?
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

First thought that came to my mind actually was Porky's. That movie was gross but less so than this one because it was so overtly gross rather than insidiously so. Porky's never asked you nor expected you to like or respect those characters but rather to be appalled and entertained by their baseness. This whole movie is shot in sepia tone to evoke nostalgic love and sentiment. Again, I get that this is Linklater's story to tell of his childhood and so it's not surprising that it takes that tone, but that makes it all the more uncomfortable for me to see that behavior depicted as the good 'ol days and thus a tacit endorsement of it.

Also it's a boring movie.

(edit: not lobbying that argument at you, Mel; just using your comment as a vehicle for expanding on my own)

This reminds me of Undeclared a lot.

I'm about a half hour into it (was watching on the plane) and will definitely finish. More thoughts to come.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast