6 23.08%
  • Nay

20 76.92%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    First of all, Ghost Rider 2 is amazing.
    I fully agree!

And yet to be fully honest its also cinematic garbage. That I love.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    The extended cut smooths out some jerky editing choices and character motivations, but its not an overwhelming game changer like directors cuts of Kingdom of Heaven or The Abyss or...etc.
    With the extended being the only version I've seen, I find it disconcerting that it smooths out editing / plotting problems from the original.

Was the original even watchable???
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    With the extended being the only version I've seen, I find it disconcerting that it smooths out editing / plotting problems from the original.

Yes, but it clearly had studio demanded cuts for length, which caused an already overstuffed film to become needlessly choppy.

Still, my biggest gripe about all that is BvS, is that fucking trailer giving away every damn detail of the film. Hell the majority of trailers of the last decade have ruined their movies. I'm with Adam Driver.

Edit: I guess it comes down to your definition of watchable/unwatchable. I consider "unwatchable" to be MST3K fodder.
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-19-2016 at 01:20 AM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Unwatchable to me is something that didn't entertain me and something I would never watch again. Basically wasting 2.5 hours of my life. Wouldn't watch it again, in a group of people, making fun of it the entire time.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So nothing is worth just one watch? Ill never watch 12 Years A Slave again, but I dont consider it unwatchable.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    So nothing is worth just one watch? Ill never watch 12 Years A Slave again, but I dont consider it unwatchable.
    Put it this way. My future self went back in time and told me to never waste my time with this wreck.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Put it this way. My future self went back in time and told me to never waste my time with this wreck.
    I look forward to your Justice League review opening weekend.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

It was more a series of dislocated scenes than a story. The extended version actually "fixes" some major problems I had with the original cut.

First, the Africa stuff. In the original, you didn't see Superman stop a drone from killing innocent people. In the original, you don't see the bad guys burn innocent people so it looks like Superman killed them with heat vision (instead, it's just assumed by people that Superman killed them - on what grounds?). In the original, you don't learn that the black woman testifying before Holly Hunter is actually part of the conspiracy to frame Superman. In the original, you don't see the bad guy push the black woman to her death. So, in the original, the Africa stuff is just some sorta random plot by Lex to... what, exactly? In the extended version, it's more clear that he's trying to publicly depants Superman and hasten government intervention.

Second, the jail stuff. It's pretty garbage in either context, but in the original, you don't learn that Lex's goons are actually telling prisoners to shiv Batman-branded offenders. So the blame in the original is more on Batman for letting the Batman-brand lead to prisoner deaths, as opposed to the extended version, where Lex is culpable, because he's trying to give Superman reasons to hate Batman.

Third, and this is the most unconscionable omission to me, in the original, you don't learn that Lex lead-lined the exploding wheelchair, so you're just left to wonder why Superman couldn't see bombchair, which leads into a bigger cut, which is that, in the original, you don't see Superman helping people after the explosion. Instead, he looks at Lois, makes a sad face, and flies away.

There's more stuff, for sure, but those felt pretty goddamn important.

Producer
    DCEU's strategy seems to be making its films worse and worse until you remember previous entries in a better light. So, yes, compared to Suicide Squad, BvS is definitely "watchable", if still incredibly sloppy. It's bad but I still liked the action scenes (at the end more than the logically frustrating titular fight).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I finally watched this. It's insultingly bad. Skitch said it's unfair that people are comparing it to classic duds like Howard the Duck or Barb Wire, and yeah, it's unfair because those movies are bad but they're at least fun. The endless barrage of expository scenes in this are edited together with no rhyme, reason or sense of pacing. And I even watched the extended cut because I was told, at least in that way, it was better!

Anything even remotely good about this film has to do with Affleck's Batman. The "death of the parents" scene, the Metropolis 9/11 scene, the Arkham-styled fight... Those were the only parts that gave me anything like what I wanted to see in a comic-book movie.

And agreed, the motivations behind the characters make my head hurt. Three hours of endless exposition and by the end it doesn't make any fucking sense! Batman wants to fight Superman because of the reckless destruction of the city, but as he progresses in his investigation and realizes LexCorp is behind some of the events the media is manipulating, he... what? Chooses to ignore that evidence? Superman wants to stop Batman because of the bat-branding (which is another pointless idea, why would Batman do something like that?) but then doesn't and he chooses to let him go with a warning. Lex Luthor... what does Lex even want? I guess they turned him into Wealthy Joker because they didn't care enough to give him motivation.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 04-05-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Why would Batman dream of himself shooting people down? This movie makes me want to break down and cry.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Why would Batman dream of himself shooting people down? This movie makes me want to break down and cry.
    Well, technically, that was a premonition. Not a dream per-say. Out of all the Batman themed movies, that's the one I want to see. Kind of a mix of Flashpoint Paradox.

That was a tedious video to get through.

You're so deep Zack.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678