Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

6 23.08%
  • Nay

20 76.92%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    The trailer seems to suggest that a lot of the things that were cut are dialogue scenes that explain a lot of the confusing things surrounding the plot. So I don't think it's a case of the scenes in the theatrical cut being the better scenes and more about prioritizing delivering Justice League setups and images/iconographies Snyder found too precious to lose over the rigor of dramatic/exposition scenes.
    Exactly. This trailer shows Superman outside the broken senate building, which the film needed. This trailer shows people explaining that Batman's nature in the film is a recent development, which the film needed. The film didn't need Cyborg and motherboxes. This cut is probably not going to save the film, but it might at least give the film some merciful coherence.

Jesus, you guys. I never thought *I* would be the one coming in here to defend a superhero movie to the rest of you but this really wasn't all that bad. I dare say a lot of it is quite good.

This is an awesome Batman movie and a shit Superman movie, not that I have liked any Superman movie since the 1978 film. The gripe about the needlessly convoluted plot is spot on, but I honestly didn't care because I generally got the gist and all the confusing crap revolved around Superman anyway and Superman sucks!! He's stupid and has been since they rebooted him! Of course the rationale for why he would hate Batman is contrived and garbage-y; his motivations for doing anything haven't been clear for like 3 films now. I'm sorry, Mr. Moody, do you want to help people or be left in solitude? Are you OK with killing or not? Also, I don't think you can love anyone if you hate yourself as much as Superman does, so the Lois Lane romance is total bullshit.

Oh god, speaking of Lois what a terrible inclusion in this film. She gets saved by Superman no less than 3 times and generally has no point of existing. She literally throws the Kryptonian spear into the ocean and 5 minutes later is like "oh shit, now i need that", dives in, and has to get rescued trying to unfuck her own mistake. They just needed her to be there to be sad when Superman dies. Which, btw, was hella dumb. I've always hated hated HATED that Clark Kent looks exactly like Superman and nobody notices. Then the dude literally dies the same day as Superman and nobody's like, "Huh. That's curious." The only people stupider than Superman are the people around Superman.

Anyway, back to the good stuff.

Ben Affleck is a BOSS! I had very low hopes for him but damn he makes a great Wayne. Maybe because Affleck strikes me as basically a real-life Bruce Wayne. I thought the training montage was pointless (because your muscles do not matter against a demigod) except for getting some sweet sweet shirtless scenes, but then Batman starts actually dragging Superman's body across the floor after owning his ass and I'm like "Hey! That tire training was foreshadowing!" and it made me smile.

Gal Gadot is strong and smart and mesmerizing and...she's in this movie because she wanted to get a picture back? Wha? Whatever. I'm excited for that character and her eyebrows, which are impeccably trimmed.

I am 110% grateful that the majority of the first 2 hours was quiet cat-and-mouse between Wayne, Kent, and Prince, philosophical musings, detective work, snarky comments by a British butler, and people hating on Superman in the media. Why is everyone bummed that this thing wasn't filled with 2 to 3 more boring retread action sequences? Like we don't get enough of that on the aggregate with these generally cookie-cutter superhero movies? Yeah, I'd much rather watch Batman threaten to make Superman bleed (which he totally did, btw!). Plus, the final action sequence with Doomsday was tired. I wouldn't want more of that. I would however like more of Gal Gadot in gorgeous dinner gowns.

There was a bunch more stupid crap but hey, it's a Snyder film, and you all have pointed them out already anyway.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I like that you liked it, and I guess I never came in here to say that the Ultimate Edition / Extended Cut is significantly more complete, well-rounded and understandable film, but I still don't know if I can ever outright recommend someone watch it, other than to make sense of the discussions surrounding it. If the word you're looking for for the new cut is "better" then sure, take it, but even then I'd say it's going from something that's a 4-4.5 out of 10 (theatrically) to a 5.5 to 6 at best. The way I've explained it to people in the months since is that as a film it makes its case/argument a lot better for what it's trying to do, but it's still a dumb/losing battle. (In the sense that I am the judge ultimately ruling against it.) The first non-flashback scene (the one with Lois and Jimmy Olson), for instance, is stunningly longer and more thorough, and you actually get a sense of why any of it there narratively and thematically in a significant way, but it's also insanely violent and dour and you wonder why they ever scripted and shot it that way at all, knowing full well they were making a PG-13 movie with kids toys associated with it. Also, the new cut has Batfleck butt!! Wowee!

Anyway, long way of asking: Is the new cut the one you watched?

And Gadot's eyebrows are obviiiously always an impenetrable sell, but with Wonder Woman being a period piece we can't be sure if historical accuracy might get in the way of that.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Jesus, you guys. I never thought *I* would be the one coming in here to defend a superhero movie to the rest of you
    *counts 4 yays and multiple people defending the movie in thread*

I don't think amberlita was claiming to be a lone crusader
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Hell yeah Amberlita! *high-5*

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I don't think amberlita was claiming to be a lone crusader
    Heh, correct. Just noting the 4:1 weight of nays:yays and the generally extreme amount of hate from many folks.

Henry - it was the theatrical cut that I watched. I'm glad the newer one improves the coherence of the plot, but I really didn't take too much issue with it. Lex Luthor was trying to get Superman and Batman to hate each other and doing some wacky stuff to create a monster to kill Superman. Got it. That doesn't negate how much could have been cut or simplified or how stupid that is, but I didn't find it as distracting as others appear to have. Maybe because I don't think plot is ever anything these superhero films do well.

edit: also, I just want to add that I think it was a brilliant stroke to actually show Batman reacting to the events of the last Superman movie. There's a lot of chatter in Marvel movies about "what happened a year ago or in such n such city" and referencing events as they ripple through future films affecting character movitations, but it was really powerful to see that play out through another superhero's eyes.

And that fight sequence when Batman rescues Martha was pretty bitchin', right?! Like eleventy million times better than any Nolan fight sequence.
    Last edited by amberlita; 09-04-2016 at 03:29 AM.

Agree, agree, agree!

Quote Quoting amberlita[/quote

And that fight sequence when Batman rescues Martha was pretty bitchin', right?! Like eleventy million times better than any Nolan fight sequence.
    Bane destroying Batman >>>>> that
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Bane destroying Batman >>>>> that[/QUOTE]

Oof. Yeah this is correct. That fight was devastating. But I was really thinking more in regards to action choreography. Bane/Batman had a lot of emotional weight.

That fight was better edited in the trailer for some reason.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

We watched this finally. It was, honestly, almost awe-inspiring how awful it was. A completely incoherent, nonsensical mess from start to finish. I have not seen a studio produced movie that was such a mishmash and jumble of random crap that doesn't come together in any way, at all.

Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor is at the "what the hell were they thinking?" level of awful. Attempts to make amends for the destruction at the end of Man of Steel are rendered moot when it does even more (and worse). If all of Wonder Woman's scenes were cut, it would not change the film at all (not a slight against Gadot, but the writing and the shoehorning in of her character).

Jeremy Irons is one of several who feel embarrassed to be in it. Really the only positive takeaway I had was that Ben Affleck's Batman (both his performance and this new take on the character, drawing much more directly from Frank Miller) seems like it could have promise, and I am very curious about Affleck's Batman flick.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Did you watch the extended edition or theatrical?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Extended.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Is the extended worth watching? Actually at this point is any cut worth watching? Still have not seen the movie, morbidly curious to check it out since the theatrical version is laying around on HBO. The length is stopping me but I still feel the urge just to see this for some reason.

The extended cut smooths out some jerky editing choices and character motivations, but its not an overwhelming game changer like directors cuts of Kingdom of Heaven or The Abyss or...etc.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Is the extended worth watching? Actually at this point is any cut worth watching? Still have not seen the movie, morbidly curious to check it out since the theatrical version is laying around on HBO. The length is stopping me but I still feel the urge just to see this for some reason.
    The extended fixes a lot of plotting problems, especially surrounding Luthor's manipulation with the events in Africa, but it doesn't resolve larger issues like how the flick is a bout between Poutyman and Murderbat.

BOTH editions are overal terrible and not worth watching.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

OR you could watch either version and make up your own mind. It has its fans. I'm one of them. I don't deny its faults, but its not unwatchable.

Fine but we were asked whether it was worth watching.

And I shared my opinion that it is. The most annoying thing about the BvS reviews are people making like its Catwoman/Barb Wire/Howard the Duck level awful. Its not THAT bad (in my opinion). Its more like The Incredible Hulk/Ghost Rider 2/Thor 2 level of filmmaking. Not worth getting in a fight about or defending, but still enjoyable enough for a comic book dork.

I fully acknowledge all of this movie's glaring flaws that have been pointed out all throughout this thread and everywhere else on the internet. Yet even so, I enjoyed the movie so much despite it all that this remains one of my favorites of the whole year. So I'm with Skitch, I say give it a shot. If this sorta trash is in any way up your alley, you might just enjoy it all the same as well.

First of all, Ghost Rider 2 is amazing. Second of all, no one was questioning your thoughts on how one should view movies. We were asked a question.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast